Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC 2009 - New Adventures (closed)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
200 messages over 25 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 24 25 Next >>
ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 33 of 200
19 January 2009 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
Mes chers lecteurs,

I hope that you have been going well, nearly a month into the TAC and I hope you are all still going strong.

Español:
I have now done up to Unidad 8 in my 'Gramàtica'.
I will try to do a few assimil lessons before bed too. Need to get back to those.

German:
Nada.

Français:
Still picking up vocab at work, that's about it.

I remain,
Thom.
1 person has voted this message useful

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 34 of 200
22 January 2009 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
Been sick, food poisoning.

Am now onto the Advanced CD of Michel Thomas Spanish. Yay for me.

Thom.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 35 of 200
24 January 2009 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
Readers,

Do I have a special treat for you tonight; the official one month TAC study recap, reflexion and analysis.

One month in already, who would have thought it would go by so quickly? Not I, that's for sure. It's been an interesting experience, made all the more so by the contributions of all of my fellow TACers, and doubly so by the crew over at #learnanylanguage. My thanks and gratitude go out to them.

Coming off the back end of a pretty average week health and sleep, I have the distinct feeling that my French is worse than it probably is. I still need to, as always, work on my expression, however at the end of the first month of the TAC I am beginning to feel that it is my oral 'specified' expression that is failing me, more than my writing. I believe this to be partly because of my usage of Lang 8 and the pure fact that that I have been writing more. When, at the same time I have taken to talking more, in a more varied array of situations and have had more opportunity to make mistakes, lack vocab, or just fluff a sentence completely. Though it must be said, Mondays are especially bad for my French. I have enough materials for French that are scattered around my apartment, that I should be using them more but I am content to just read, as Lord Acton said: you 'learn as much by writing as by reading'.

Regarding my foray into the Spanish language, I am appreciating it more and more and I am beginning to regret my stance as a foolish student, in thinking that it wasn't worth giving any time, and focussing on Italian when I had bilingual Es/Eng friends. I am quite happy with my progress in Spanish. I still have leagues to go before I will be satisfied, and I am not as effective, steadfast, or meticilous in my study as some of you are, nor as I should be in the approach that I take towards it. Yet, I am satisfied. Having the hispanophone world begin to open up to me is gratifying, I do however lament the fact that I can't find an interesting news website in Spanish. I have contented myself with reading el mundo.es at work when I have the desire, but I am sure something will turn up.

On the western front, that is to say German. I have, as I said at the debut left it as a second-stringer. I do a bit every now and then and I am happy enough with the little that I have done, knowing that in the long run it all pays off. I am really enjoying rediscovering words and phrases that I learnt in my youth.

Regarding my method, I am beginning to really miss the lifestyle I lead for the better half of last year. Language study, and freetime submerged in my target language; I can see that it will be a lot harder to make similar progress as that which I made in French, in both Castillan and German. I do manage to get a Pimsleur lesson/Michel Thomas lesson into my Métro trip. The timing is good half an hour either way. So that's alright, but I haven't yet reached the point in being so used to working that I have the desire to do things after I get home. I look forward to changing this in the coming month.

I don't really have much desire to rewrite all the things that I have done, if you are reading this, you've already read them as I posted them. If anything, I just want to write that in the next month my short term goals will be:
  • Go over the more advanced Spanish grammar.
  • broaden my German vocabulary
  • broaden my Spanish vocabulary
  • continue polishing my french speaking skills

and whatever else comes my way.

As always, I will close by wishing you luck and hope to see you all continue on this journey we call TAC.

I remain,
Thom.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 36 of 200
28 January 2009 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
I'm back, and at the bottom of the second page already!

French:
Still picking up vocab.

Castillan:
Pimsleur 16, 17, and half of 18.
MT an extra cd.
Read a bit more HP

German:
Sweet F A.

Hope you're all well.

Thom.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 37 of 200
30 January 2009 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
French:

I made a start on my C1/C2 work book.
I finished 'Attentat'
I made an excel spreadsheet at work with all the vocab I have been picking up
I spent my freetime at work getting the translations of the afore mentioned words, and putting them into said spreadsheet. I gots me 109 this week. A few I didn't know in English :s

Spanish.

Finished Pimsleur 20
Read a bit more of HP1

German.
...saw in the news that they are reprinting nazi era newspapers...that counts right?

I remain,
Thom.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 38 of 200
31 January 2009 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Evening all,

Español:
This evening I watched this : http://www.cervantestv.es/v_cile/video_presentacion_v_cile_m oncloa.htm

Which I found some what interesting, and reasonably simple to follow.

*edit* I also did 2 busuu modules before I went to bed.

Français:
I wrote a Lang-8 Post.

Thom.

Edited by ExtraLean on 01 February 2009 at 5:13am

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 39 of 200
03 February 2009 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
Today:

French:
Some vocab.

Spanish:
Nada.

German:
MT 1&2

Thom.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 40 of 200
05 February 2009 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Readers mine,

I am now up to Pimsleur Spanish 1 number 25 and beginning to question why the Spanish in it seem to think that milk is a wonderful panacea from the Gods.

Are you sick?
Yes
What do you need.
I need some milk.

I want some milk.
Why? Are you sick?

I mean really now, it is just milk. Good for bones and what not :s

Thom.

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version