Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC 2009 - New Adventures (closed)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
200 messages over 25 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 24 25 Next >>
ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 65 of 200
11 May 2009 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Readers All,

Given that I turned the page I will try to flesh this post out a little bit. I'm back in the swing of things language learning wise. Put a bunch of pimsleur and MT on my MP3 player because I've got a massive trainride to do tomorrow. So I will be making my way through those in both Spanish and German.

Today:

German: Up to and including a little bit of Lektion 28. Having fun, with the mission to suss out the declination system.

Spanish: Bit of reading; Kipling's Indian Stories, or whatever the translation is in English. Half a dozen pages, craptonne of new vocab.

Started packing up the apartment, moving out tomorrow.

Thom.

Edited by ExtraLean on 14 May 2009 at 2:03pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 66 of 200
14 May 2009 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Good evening,

Just a quick update; I've done up to Pimsleur 10 for German, train rides do serve a purpose. Took a bunch of notes from one of my grammar books in order to suss out the cases.

Spanish/French wise nothing. Been a bit busy.

Thom.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 67 of 200
19 May 2009 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

I decided to bulk this post up a bit, for your reading pleasure. You'll find below the pathetic attempts at studying I've done over the last few days.

Es.

Did a bunch of reading on the plane/trains to Sydney and back: now up to page 60odd of Cuentas de India, and it is getting easier as I go along.

Fr.

Hour long conversation on the train with a French girl. In Sydney, I sked a friend of mine to assess my French. Got told that it is great, but I need to work on my intonation, and stop eating the endings of French words.

De.

I've been doing a bit of assimil, can't remember at the moment where I am. But it is further than where I was.

I had the 'why on earth are you learning German?' question thrown at me yesterday as well, which was understandably followedby 'why not a useful language like Chinese' statement. Given that Sydney seems to be the biggest Chinese settlement outside of China, I suppose that it was understandable.

I also found Abbeys Bookshop on York Street. Thought it was awesome. Bought three books, all full of excersizes. 2 in Spanish, 1 German. Realised just now that I don't have the answer key for the big Spanish one. Will have to try to track it down on the net.

Thom.

Edited by ExtraLean on 19 May 2009 at 1:14pm

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 68 of 200
20 May 2009 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
Evening,

I did five exercises from my Spanish Grammar Drill book today, starting with just the differences between Ser and Estar, nothing fancy.

Ordered the Answer Key book from the abbey books website, should get here in a day or so.

Other language wise, nothing.

Sussing out whether to do a degree by distance from Paris X uni which does German/Spanish through French, could be fun, but takes three years. I might just try to do the C1/2 level tests in my three languages in that timeframe.

As always, I hope you are all going strongly in your language learning adventures, and feel free to drop me a little hello, motivational comment, or remark.

Thom.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 69 of 200
22 May 2009 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
Readers mine,

ES: I have now arrived at the fiftieth lesson of Assimil L'espagnol sans peine. Hooray for me. I have also read a little bit more of my book. I am pleased with where I am after six months or so of on and off study. Going from never having touched the language to reading with relative ease (vocab = a pain) is good for me. I'm happy.

I will, now go to bed. *lies* I didn't infact go to bed. Not all that sleepy. I did however check out Iversens log, and I am pleasantly surprised with how well I understand written Catalan. His at least, and I would very much like to do a similar trip.

Thom.

Edited by ExtraLean on 22 May 2009 at 5:19pm

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 70 of 200
23 May 2009 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
I just thought I'd post that Screamer Radio is pretty damned good. Even if some of the presets don't work. For Spanish and German I am satisfied, and there are a bunch of stations from all over the world, in every language one can imagine available.

You can get it here:

http://www.screamer-radio.com/download/

If anyone finds a good sounding, and interesting station in French, Spanish, German...Italian, and why not Catalan too, let me know.

Thom.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 71 of 200
23 May 2009 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
G'day:

Today I wrote two lang-8 posts. It had been a while, and Zammy pushed me to do it, in his own awesome way. You can find the French one here, and the Spanish one here.

I should probably try to do a German one, but I am not feeling quite confident enough yet with that language.

I also listened to various Spanish radio stations thanks to the aforementioned Screamer Radio thing.

Thanks for reading.

Thom.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 72 of 200
25 May 2009 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Today,

I basically just listened to the radio while I worked. I managed to listen to a good couple of hours of late night news emissions throughout my day, and I also tried to write a letter to a friend of mine in German, did a couple of phrases and then had Markun fix them up. So kudos to him, having the loving support of the people on #learnanylanguage pays out in some ways.

I also found ##francais and spent some time talking to some other french students.

I hope that all is well,

Thom.

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version