Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC 2009 - New Adventures (closed)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
200 messages over 25 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 24 25 Next >>
tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6473 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 25 of 200
11 January 2009 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
You also read her book this week! Do you have any immediate comments about it, things you agree/disagree with?

Was La Peste a good read? Did you like it? I haven't read it yet, but I have it in my little library.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5789 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 26 of 200
12 January 2009 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
Yes I did, it was you yourself who inspired me, and dmg who pushed me in the right direction, so I picked up a copy and read it through over the weekend. I really liked it, even the bit about interpreting which isn't really the 'goal' of my language learning. It was an interesting read in and of itself and the personal quotes she littered through it were interesting as well. I don't think it changed the way I will go about learning languages, but it has made me a bit more interested in Hungarian. :s

La Peste was ok. If you want to make your epidemic related vocabulary expand it is good. As a story it isn't too bad, but it isn't exactly a page turner. I had to push myself through it. I also have Caligula by Camus, though I might wait a bit before reading him again. I've plenty of other french books up my sleeve.

I would like to repeat that I wouldn't mind some recommendations, if you my fair readers have any. FR/ES being the languages. The genre 'not sissy girly stuff'. ;)

Thom.

Edited by ExtraLean on 12 January 2009 at 11:42am

1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6473 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 27 of 200
12 January 2009 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Oh! I'm always glad if I happen to inspire someone to do something ;)

I already mentioned some of these books, but anyway:

Amélie Nothomb - Attentat, Stupeur et Tremblements etc. (Written by a woman, but not very girly books, and Nothomb is quite a polyglot herself I think.) The first book is about an incredibly ugly man and the second about a woman (Amélie) working in Japan and experiencing the hierarchical society from the bottom.

Emmanuel Carrère - La classe de neige, L'Adversaire.
La classe de neige: "Nicolas, un enfant grave, fragile et perturbé, va vivre en classe de neige, mais un peu en marge de la communauté scolaire, une étrange aventure. Sa vie au quotidien est assaillie de souvenirs douloureux et traversée de fantasmes plus ou moins terrifiants. Il a un ami, Hodkann, qu'il entraîne un peu dans sa dérive mentale en lui racontant des histoires terribles..."
L'Adversaire: "Le 9 janvier 1993, Jean Marc Faure (inspiré de Jean-Claude Romand) a tué sa femme, ses enfants, ses parents puis a tenté, mais en vain, de se tuer lui-même. L’enquête a révélé qu’il n’était pas médecin comme il le prétendait depuis dix-huit ans et, chose plus difficile encore à croire, qu’il n’était rien d’autre. Près d’être découvert, il a préféré supprimer ceux dont il ne pouvait supporter le regard."

Jean Giono - Un roi sans divertissement. Now this is such an important book in French litterature that it's a bit hard to sum up (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Un_roi_sans_divertissement)

I'll post more later! I do tend to read a lot of feminine literature though, so I'm cancelling out like 80% of the books that come to my mind here ;) (Not that feminine = girly, but they are perhaps best enjoyed by women anyway)

---

And Camus yes. That was my experience with l'Etranger as well, one of the first books I read in French. Everyone loves it, but I had to force myself through it. I will read La Peste one day though.

Hungarian is the awesomest language ever.

Edited by tricoteuse on 12 January 2009 at 12:34pm

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5789 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 28 of 200
12 January 2009 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:
Jean Giono - Un roi sans divertissement. <snip>(http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Un_roi_sans_divert issement)

Cheers Tricours,

With regards to the link I can only say two things: 'wall of text' and 'tl;dr' :p

Nevertheless, the title sounds cool and the bits that I did read when I skimmed through the description were enticing, so I will try to track it down.

Thom.

Edited by ExtraLean on 12 January 2009 at 2:47pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6265 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 29 of 200
12 January 2009 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
I really like "L'homme qui plantait des arbres" by Jean Giono. I particularly like the beautiful 30minute film they made of this beautiful story. You can watch it (read in French with multilingual subtitles) at http://dotsub.com/view/2d7b8a37-4f64-4241-8019-642e965d124f .

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5789 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 30 of 200
14 January 2009 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
Hey all,

Sprachprofi: I am in the middle of your video now. It is pretty cool. Cheers. *edit* I really liked it, and was disappointed that it wasn't a true story.

Français:

Yesterday I found a copy of "Amélie Nothomb - Attentat" and started it. So thanks to Tricours for her recommendation. I am currently on page 70 and enjoying it in a weird sadistic and sickening way.

I also wrote a Lang - 8 post. It got corrected twice in 15 minutes so I am happy. I am going to make an effort to go over all my corrections and internalise them soon. Those of you who don't use lang-8 or something similar I encourage you to do so. Especially if your written expression is a bit lacking. I am finding it quite helpful. It atleast gives me a reason to write, and the 'publication' of it makes you try a bit harder than I would normally at home, if I wrote at all. There's already a few HTLALers there, but there should be more.

Español:
I wrote out a list of Spanish verbs so that I can take it to work and revise it when I get some free time.

Deutsch:

I listened to Pimsleur 1 lessons 1 and 2 on the métro to and from work today. So you can all relax, I am not giving up on it, and I am paying it the respect it is due. I will try to get a bunch of verbs down over the next few days.

I remain,
Thom.

Edited by ExtraLean on 14 January 2009 at 2:10pm

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5789 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 31 of 200
15 January 2009 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
Today was a reasonably slack language learning day.

Pimsleur 3 German in the métro on the way to work this morning.

That is all,

Thom.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5789 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 32 of 200
17 January 2009 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Readers mine,

I passed the morning at expolangues. Being a massive exposition of languages at Porte de Versailles, it was pretty cool. Got a bunch of freestuff in: Breton, Catalan, Gallician, Spanish, and German. Including the standard notepads, pens, pencils, and a Cervantes Institute planner, which was nifty, because I needed one, and this one is in Spanish.

Oh, and a big poster of the greek alphabet.

Have listened to Pimsleur German 4,5,6 since the last post.

Hope you're all having a good weekend.

Thom.

Edited by ExtraLean on 17 January 2009 at 11:11am

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version