Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC 2009 - New Adventures (closed)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
200 messages over 25 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 ... 24 25 Next >>
ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 129 of 200
15 July 2009 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Thanks girls, but that is far too much glitter for such a serious and studious log such as mine :p

*Bah I hate it when I have posts of one sentence and that then roll over to the next page of my log. <filler>.

I just spent nearly two hours in FNAC eyeing off books. Didn't end up getting anything though, mainly cos I have everything I need for my two target languages already, and I couldn't bring myself to start stocking up on unneeded language materials (they aren't needed yet that is).

Thom.

Edited by ExtraLean on 15 July 2009 at 6:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 131 of 200
16 July 2009 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Buttons

Buttons wrote:
I might have to give this a go ;0)

You'd better. I expect a friend request soon, don't make me come looking for you.

Study wise,

I'm back on the wagon. Worked my way through to lesson 85 of Assimil Spanish. Most of it was just revision of things already introduced and was easy to understand on the read through so I didn't really sit down and fuss over it all. Didn't do any active wave stuff, still too lazy for that.

I bought : DELE Nivel Intermedio (CERL B2) which is a book used by the Cervantes institute (amongst others) to prepare for the DELE, it's got 5 complete model tests, answers and audio and a bunch of other goodies. So I'll work through it soon. The written comprehension doesn't seem too bad so far. Had a quick glance at the first exam before sitting down to Asimil it up.

I also had an hour long conversation with a stranger in the bookshop. He caught me perusing the German section and asked me if I was German (he had a sort of logical explanation that maybe I was German and trying to learn French through reverse osmosis or something you know learning French through how they teach the French to learn German, yeah convoluted I know). Anywho he was impressed with my French, and I was happy to discuss languages and other interests (solar energy!) and what not with a real person for once.

Yours,

Thom.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 132 of 200
16 July 2009 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Readers Mine,

I just did the written comprehension part of the first test. They give an hour to do it, I knocked it over in about 30 min. I scored 10 out of 12, and had a total of 35 unknown words over the four articles. 14 in the first one. Which I think is fairly decent.

I will try to do the written expression parts as lang 8 posts in the next couple of days.And give the oral comprehension things a whirl tomorrow.

Thom.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 133 of 200
17 July 2009 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
Dearest Readers,

I have now worked my way through to lesson 95 of Assimil: L'espagnol Sans Peine. Not long to go now. Second wave has fallen behind, but I don't really care, it'll still be there when I get around to it. I just want to finish the book. Then I'll go through it again. I might do a few more lessons this afternoon; we'll see how I go.

I still need to do the written DELE exercises and put them on Lang 8 and the audio bits as well, but I'll go one step at a time.

German: Yeah...well...I browsed through some German books yesterday...

French: Picked up a half a dozen books from my girlfriends parents' place. Hopefully they'll be a good read. Annoyingly the only free ebooks I can find in French are philosophical texts, which in and of themselves aren't bad things, but sometimes I just want a nice relaxing read.

Thom.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 134 of 200
18 July 2009 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
G'day,

SPANISH PASSIVE WAVE COMPLETE. Obviously I had a rather productive morning, the last dozen or so lessons are just irregular verbs, and then a couple of poems. I didn't exactly sit there and mull them over, but I did them and they are done!!!

I think I will try to finish one of my grammar books before I go and finish the Active Wave, it shouldn't be too hard and I didn't really like the way Assimil presents the grammar. Sure I picked up a lot of stuff, but I have too many holes that need to be filled. Either way, I've got the resources to plugs those holes.

I would like to know how many people go on to finish the active wave (of any assimil) as well. So if you have, and are reading this let me know. Did you really find it worth while?

Some of the wonderful people in #learnanylanguage pointed me towards Gigapedia which seems to be awesome; in the same way that UZ-Translations is awesome, but with an even broader field of awesomeness. Give it a whirl, sign up and plunder.

Now, time for a celebratory cup of tea.

Thom.

Pd. Y si Crush, voy a escribir un articulo en Español para Lang-8. Sé que hace mucho tiempo que no había escrito, pero de tiempo en cuando no tengo ganas para escribir sin sujeto. Sin embargo, iré escribir algo este fin de semana.

*Late night edit*

Today I read (started and finished) Teach Yourself Speed Reading, picked up a couple of things that are helpful and which I didn't use before and generally sped through it as it was in English, I don't read too much in English anymore, basically only online come to think of it, I think that the last book I read in English was Kato Lomb's book on languages.

This evening I finished Je m'en vais by Jean Echenoz, which was an alright read. Nothing amazing, but alright. Used it to practice speeding up my French reading speed.

Language Wise,

I also compiled a bit of a spread sheet with pages devoted to both French and Spanish prefixes and suffixes. I will go over it tomorrow/later.

Thom.

Edited by ExtraLean on 19 July 2009 at 1:46am

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 135 of 200
19 July 2009 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Read Stupeur et Tremblement by Amélie Nothomb which I thought was a better read than Attentat, it was a rather easy read too. I don't know if that's because of the writing, or my comprehension.

Have worked my way through to the 25th "chapter" in my Anaya Gramatica text which is dedicated to the Pretérito Indefinido. The chapters are only a couple of pages long, and it's a basic grammar, most of which I've already got a handle on.

Edited by ExtraLean on 19 July 2009 at 5:23pm

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 136 of 200
21 July 2009 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
ExtraLean wrote:
I had forgotten the word for chalk, 'craie', and thus had to look it up. It's not an obvious word for me in it's context of "dans le ciel de craie", for in Australia we don't get too many chalky skies. It's either blue, black or green, depending on the potential violence of the storm.

Well, today we have a nice chalky coloured sky. Which I thought merited an 'oh my! how strange?'. It's also quite hot. So I shall be awaiting the plagues of cholera which no doubt follow such a poor omen.

It is only through my language studies that I have any appreciation for this oddity of European weather.

Thom.

Edited by ExtraLean on 22 July 2009 at 10:26am

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version