Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC 2009 - New Adventures (closed)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
200 messages over 25 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 24 25 Next >>
Spanky
Canada
Joined 5750 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 41 of 200
05 February 2009 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
Milk? Hmmn, that is a puzzler. The French Pimsleur folk seem to drink beaucoup de vin, and its hard to argue against that.

I understand from an unrelated recent thread Yikes that Assimil German learning materials have someone eating a parrot, so in comparison you're not so badly off with the dairy fetish perhaps.    

2 persons have voted this message useful

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 42 of 200
05 February 2009 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
I dunno, parrot would have to taste pretty nice, and one can find some damned big parrots.... It just would have made more sense to say 'i want some medicine; why are you sick' than stick with the milk for two lessons...

Thom.

ps. it is good to see you back in the swing of things Spanky.
1 person has voted this message useful

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 43 of 200
08 February 2009 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Dear all,

Today I sat down and did a good couple of hours of book work with my Spanish. If you haven't worked it out by now, Spanish is the favoured child.

Other than that, not a whole lot.

Thom.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 44 of 200
12 February 2009 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
Readers Mine,

I am back, no I didn't actually go anywhere, I just haven't gotten around to updating this log recently.

I am keeping a bit of a spreadsheet which I update regularly of my language studies. From it I can tell you that I have now done.

8 Unidads of my Anaya 'Gramatica' book.
15 (more I think) Assimil Spanish Lessons
25 Pimsleur Spanish One Lessons
11 MT Spanish CDs
30 Busuu Modules
1 Online Conference thing.
and a bit of reading.

I did a rough calculation based on that and I got about 35hrs of Spanish, but this doesn't include the grammar work/note taking I have been doing. So I am going to add another 10 just cos I want to, so as to make up the difference and say that I have done approximately 45hrs of Spanish since the beginning of December 2008.

Deutsch:
My one true shame, is the amount of effort I have put into it.
11 Assimil Lessons
6 Pimsleur Lessons
3 MT CDS.

NO reading
NO Grammar Study
NOTHING else.

So it probably rounds out to a grand total of 6 hours all up.

So, I am determined to pile a bit of German onto my linguistic muscle over the next little while. I am reasonably certain that it is a 'once I start to see myself making progress I will snowball into a big white ball of success' thing. So we will see how it goes.

Questions? Comments? Valentines day cards?

Thom.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 45 of 200
16 February 2009 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
It has been a busy few days, what with valentines day weekend, and all that jazz. I have gotten a hold of some more Spanish and German music. Which gives me something else to listen to.

I wrote out a Spanish lang8 post which I will need to put online soonish.

Besides that, I am thinking about rocking up to a Toast Masters meeting, there is a Bilingual club here in Paris, a few actually (Fr/Eng, Fr/Es, Fr/De) I think it might be good. Anyone been to, a part of, have thoughts regarding Toast masters?

Thom.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5750 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 46 of 200
16 February 2009 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Hey ExtraLean,

I have not myself been involved with Toastmasters but I have two friends who have been involved in separate Toastmaster chapters in Canada, and they both spoke very highly of the experience. One of my friends joined in part to work on her English (a second language for her). I believe the principles of Toastmasters are similar through all the individual chapters or clubs, involving lots of directed constructive feedback on speaking style, presentation, etc, though I am not sure how a bilingual club would work.   Toastmasters out here lets guests drop in at least once for free before signing up, so if you have that option, you might want to try it out if for no other reason than to snag a free bun or baguette or whatever the heck they may serve over there.

Spanky
2 persons have voted this message useful

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 47 of 200
19 February 2009 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Hey Spanky,

Thanks for your response, I think I will give it a go, one day soonish. Though it is in a restaurant the majority of the time. So I doubt it will be free.

Language learning wise I haven't done alot of 'study' these last few days. Been listening to music, reading the Spanish newspapers online and trawling some Spanish websites whilst at work.

I am enjoying my new German metal... and that's enough for now. I am intent on getting a language exchange going with at least a hispanophone in the near future as well.

Thom.

Edited by ExtraLean on 19 February 2009 at 3:44pm

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 48 of 200
28 February 2009 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
Readers Mine,

I really need to update this more regularly, I know that you miss it. Don't deny it.

Spanish: Music everday, newspaper reading everyday. And I have done a bit of 'scriptorium' every now and then.

German: Music everyday.

French: A cross word everyday. I have also done a few more things in my C1/C2 book.

I need to get back in the swing of real study though. Wish me luck.

Thom.

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version