Message 89 of 426
27 February 2012 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Good job!

Quote:
რუსულც ვსწავლობ უნივერსიტეტში

რუსულს

Quote:
მინდა უფრო კარგად ლაპარაკი და კითხვა

მინდა უფრო კარგად ვიცოდე ლაპარაკი და კითხვა or მინდა უფრო კარგად ვილაპარაკო და ვიკითხო.

2 persons have voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5062 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 90 of 426
05 March 2012 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
Oh, wow. I didn't even notice that you answered this! Guess I missed the email...
Madloba!

What I was trying to say up there was "I also study Russian at the university." What
would be the correct way to say that?

Also I was wondering, how do you say "they love us"?
1 person has voted this message useful

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5058 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 91 of 426
05 March 2012 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
I also study Russian at the university.

რუსულსაც ვსწავლობ უნივერსიტეტში.

Quote:
they love us

მათ ვუყვარვართ (ჩვენ).
use of ჩვენ is optional.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5062 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 92 of 426
10 March 2012 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
I was going through the Peace Corps course, and for 'what time is it?' they put "ra droa?" It sounds very
strange, like a direct translation from English. Do people really say it like this? Everywhere else I've heard
"romeli saatia?"

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5058 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 93 of 426
10 March 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
zecchino1991,
You're right, "რა დროა?" is not used very often but it isn't wrong either. When I think about it occurs to me that old people tend to use it more, or maybe it's just my grandma :D

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5062 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 94 of 426
11 March 2012 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Ah, ok thanks! I guess they just did that so it would be easier for American people to remember, or
something. ;P

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5062 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 95 of 426
19 March 2012 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
Well it's about time I updated since the 6 week challenge is over! I can't believe that
I almost didn't do the challenge. I'm so glad I did though, because I learned so
much! At the beginning of it Georgian still felt so mysterious and alien, but now I can
listen to things and understand them (a little at least), and they don't sound strange
at all. In fact, I can't even remember why I ever thought the language sounded strange.

I'm so glad I finally plunged into the Aronson lessons. At first they seemed way too
exhausting, but I now I have finished chapter 7 (although, I did skip the grammar in
chapter 3, but not the exercises), and the book doesn't seem so intimidating now.
Actually, I'm finding in very useful. I think it's what finally made me be able to have
any clue how to form a sentence, because it was a complete mystery to me before the
challenge. I mean, I understood sentences when I read them, but to make one
myself...forget it! Now it's much easier, but I still need A LOT of practice.

Other than Aronson, I practiced the Kiziria dialogues, did some book2, read a tiny bit,
study the Peace Corps lessons, and watched tv. Honestly that last thing is where I got
the majority of my time from, since I don't have many resources. But it was definitely
useful, much more than I thought it would be.

So that's all I really have to say, besides one last thing I discovered during the
challenge: I love Georgian so much! Of course I already knew that before, but now that
it's starting to make some sense to me, I realize how much I love it. Definitely my
favorite language! I don't know why...there's just something about it. It's perfect. I
wonder how long it will be before I can use it in a meaningful way. Hopefully not long.
Who knows...
;)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 19 March 2012 at 5:01am

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5268 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 96 of 426
19 March 2012 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
I'm so glad you've fallen in love with Georgian. I really like the language too.
There's something so satisfying about a Georgian sentence somehow. It seems so fully
formed and tidy.

So now I would suggest trying to read some Georgian short stories and novels, and even
more importantly jumping on a plane to Tbilisi! I can't imagine anyone coming away from
that lovely city with a negative image of Georgia.

This discussion contains 426 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version