Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
426 messages over 54 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 ... 53 54 Next >>
zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5062 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 161 of 426
30 August 2012 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
I will try to translate it. I might have to paraphrase a little because the word order
is so different from English, but I'll try to make it as accurate as I can!

Pussy Riot support campaign starts (actually "started") in Tbilisi.

A Pussy Riot support campaign has started in Tbilisi. The Russian feminist punk-rock
group's three members have been in jail since March of 2012 for a (something??)
performance at Moscow's cathedral of Christ the Savior - "Mary (i.e. the Virgin Mary),
get rid of Putin" (that's the name of the performance). Throughout the whole world
action has been taken in support of Pussy Riot, where they (i.e. the supporters) show
solidarity to the detained musicians and demand they be freed. What caused people to
create support movements for the punk group in Georgia and in the world? (I paraphrased
that a lot :X). What conditions caused a radical feminist movement to be created in the
former Soviet union (post-Soviet ...(?)? Ilia University professor, Tata Tsopurashvili
talks to Dato Chikhladze, a doctor of philosophy, about these questions (not sure what
order I should put the names in...).

Well there you go. It's probably not completely accurate but maybe it can help you
understand. You're right, it really is hard to figure out, as the grammar is so
different from English (and probably any other languages you or I know!). It took me a
long time to work out most of the sentences!

Edited by zecchino1991 on 30 August 2012 at 8:16am

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4970 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 162 of 426
30 August 2012 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
I see you had trouble at more or less the same aspects. What can we do? Which material would fix that? I believe the newspaper reader will allow me to improve somehow, because it's glossary + translation. I'm sure several of those complicated sentences will be explained. I could indeed understand the overall meaning, also after placing it at Google Translator, but I still was in doubt as for who did what to whom. I don't know who's the interviewer and the interviewed =D Seeing the picture it's surely Tata that is interviewed, she's the professor, but I can't figure this out from the grammar.
2 persons have voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5062 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 163 of 426
04 September 2012 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
გასულ კვირას მუშაობა დავიწყო. უნივერსიტეტში მასწავლებლად ვმუშაობ. პროფესორი არა ვარ,
მაგრამ პატარა კლასს ვასწავლი ერთ-ერთ სხვა გოგოსთან ერთად. წერას ვასწავლით. ბევრ ფულს არ
გადამიხდიან. თერთმეტ დოლარს მივიღებ საათში, მაგრამ მხოლოდ 5-9 საათი ვმუშაობ კვირაში.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5062 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 164 of 426
04 September 2012 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
Today I read chapter 5 of Aronson. I haven't finished going through the exercises yet,
but so far I understand them without looking at the translation (I only got to the 10-
15th one). I will finish right after I'm done writing this update. This time I decided
to just read the sentences in Georgian first and then look at the translations after. But
sometimes I like to challenge myself and read the English ones first, then try to
translate them to Georgian. Anyway, after I'm done with Aronson I think I will read a
children's book I have in Georgian (it's Sleeping Beauty, haha).

By the way, I just decided that once I'm at a high enough level, I will write my
updates in Georgian. :D

Or maybe I will start right away...but I'll just write what I can. :)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 04 September 2012 at 5:12am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4970 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 165 of 426
04 September 2012 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
I thought the same but I'm afraid of writing, not getting corrected and thus fossilizing mistakes.

How did you get that book? shawns recommended Prospero's Books but I'm a bit reluctant as a friend bought from minor online libraries in the UK itself and got his credit card cloned.

I always do English-target language exercise translations, but I think that does harm to my reading skills, and I tend to be able to hold simple conversations but can't read much. That happened in German, Chinese and is likely to happen in Georgian with Aronson if I keep doing so. When I do try to read the translating exercises in Georgian at Hewitt's grammar, I feel I improve quite a bit. Maybe I should do 50%-50% and ignore by all means the idea that translating into the target languages would always lead me to learn more, because that's not what happens. Sometimes I struggle to find a translation into Georgian, I give up and I just mechanically copy the sentence, while I could have learned much more if I tried to understand the sentence in Georgian itself.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5062 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 166 of 426
04 September 2012 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I thought the same but I'm afraid of writing, not getting corrected
and thus fossilizing mistakes.

Yeah, I'm kind of concerned about that now, too. Good point...

Expugnator wrote:
How did you get that book? shawns recommended Prospero's Books but
I'm a bit reluctant as a friend bought from minor online libraries in the UK itself and
got his credit card cloned.

I got it here. They have some Georgian books. They
didn't have one of the books I ordered and they didn't tell me that until after I
ordered it...but they didn't charge me for it so it's ok. :)
So just be aware that they might not actually have the things that are listed there...

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5062 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 167 of 426
05 September 2012 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
I just read chapter 6 of Aronson, but I only did 3 of the exercises because I want to do
some Russian now. For the first 2 I tried to translate from English to Georgian, and for
the third one I just read it in Georgian and then in English. I still don't like how he
introduced the passive voice so early on. It seems a bit complicated and unnecessary at
this point, but I have to know it if I want to be able to translate the exercises to
Georgian myself. Oh well, guess I would have to learn it sometime anyway! :)

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5062 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 168 of 426
09 September 2012 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
გუშინ ქართული ლექსი წავიკითხე. ლადო ასათიანის ლექსი იყო და „სალაღობო“ ქვია. ლადო
ასათიანის iPhone-ის აპლიკაციაში წავიკითხე.

ახლა არაბულს ვსწავლობ. სასაცილოა, რომ არაბულად და ებრაულად სიტყვა „ახლა“ ულამაზესს ან
უტკბილესს ნიშნავს. :D

Edited by zecchino1991 on 09 September 2012 at 7:48am

This discussion contains 426 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version