Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
426 messages over 54 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 53 54 Next >>
zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5061 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 25 of 426
05 January 2012 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
So! Today I did chapter ხუთი of Beginner's Georgian, and reviewed all the previous
dialogues. It's amazing how much of the grammar I've forgotten since last time I read
it...Anyway, I don't have much to say about this, except one thing I want to ask
TixhiiDon. Have you ever noticed that Lali says the tomatoes are 2 lari for a kilo, but
when she tells the man it must weigh a bit more than a kilo, he says "that's ok, take
it for four." That doesn't seem like a good deal! ;)

Other than that, all I can say is that my insightful Georgian comment of the day (to
myself, of course) was ეს კარგი ვაშლია! I didn't have any apples...That's just what my
brain felt like saying. Also, when I was driving home there were some birds in the
road, so I said "ბოდიში, ჩიტები!" Deep...

Well, I guess that's it for the day. Saghamo mshvidobisa.
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5267 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 26 of 426
05 January 2012 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
გამარჯობა Zecchino1991, როგორა ხარ?

Your comment of course sent me rushing back to Beginner's Georgian, and indeed it looks
like Lali got well and truly ripped off for her tomatoes. I think the guy at the
marketplace lulled her into a false sense of security with his შვილო and არა უშავს.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5061 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 27 of 426
06 January 2012 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
ძალიან კარგად. შენ?

Well, yesterday I had a headache and didn't feel much like reading so I just watched me
some "რა? სად? როდის?"! I've been practicing my Russian/Georgian by watching both
versions. I don't understand either of them very much at this point, but I think I
understand the Georgian one a little more. I wonder if any other
countries have some version of this show...

Anyway, that's all for today. I will do some extra Beginner's Georgian on Sunday or
maybe even tomorrow.
Also Aronson... :)

Update: So today I listened to the tongue twisters in the Beginner's Georgian book, and
I actually mangaged to say "baqaqi cqalshi qiqinebs" without sounding like a complete
moron! Yay me! Although, I still don't think I say it completely normally. Oh well,
I'll get it eventually. I usually don't have that much of a problem with that ყ sound,
it's just when it occurs more than once in one word that I have trouble... The other
tongue twisters are not so hard. If you're wondering, they are "kapiki gakapikebula"
and "ch'rich'ina ch'rich'inebs." :)

Update number ორი: I changed my Facebook to Georgian! Not that I really use Facebook
that much... Too bad I can't change my iPhone to Georgian. :(

Update number სამი: I just found a video of Katie Melua saying bayayi wyalshi yiyinebs!
It's amazing. Go to like 4:30.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBuqHt4PDNU
My goal is to say it that well. I'm gonna practice every day. By the way, I like how
she describes the letter ყ as "Donald Duck on high-pitched acid or something." That's
perfect! I always described it as a frog drowning, but I like her description, it's
much more accurate.

Edited by zecchino1991 on 08 January 2012 at 9:32am

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5267 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 28 of 426
08 January 2012 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
The interview with Katie Melua was really cool. I haven't heard her talking about
Georgia and being Georgian all that much. I got the impression from Georgians I've
spoken to that the whole country is crazily proud of her. Music's a bit boring though,
to be honest :)

Edited by TixhiiDon on 08 January 2012 at 11:57pm

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4933 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 29 of 426
09 January 2012 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
zecchino1991 wrote:

Update number ორი: I changed my Facebook to Georgian! Not that I really use Facebook
that much... Too bad I can't change my iPhone to Georgian. :(

I wanted to change my Android tablet to a Georgian interface too, but couldn't. I did, however, find a software Georgian keyboard that I can switch to on the fly.

Maybe something like that is available for the iPhone too?

R.
==

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5061 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 30 of 426
09 January 2012 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon: I've never really heard her music, but she is Georgian so I like her now. ;P

hrhenry: I tried to find a keyboard for iPhone but I couldn't. I just use an online
keyboard, which is pretty annoying, so I'd love to find a real one!

So today I watched some "Nichieri." It's the Georgian version of *insert country*'s Got
Talent. It's kind of odd how accustomed my ears are to the cadence of the language
already. It makes me feel like I understand it when I really don't! It's like if you
listen to someone speaking Dutch or something, and it sounds like they're
speaking in Sims language, because it sounds just like English except you can't
understand more than a couple words. That's kind of how Georgian feels, even though it
sounds nothing like English. Sort of a strange feeling, but I suppose it's a good sign!

Other than that, I did გაკვეთილი ექვსი of Beginner's Georgian. Interestingly enough,
both this chapter and the chapter I did in my Russian book today covered the genitive
case. I like how the Georgian genitive ending is very similar to the English one.
That's a helpful little coincidence. :)

Lastly, my random Georgian thought of the day was: "Samshabatistvis me bazarshi
mivdivar." Hmm, strangely normal for me! Although, I think the "me" in this case is a
little redundant, right? I feel like I should leave that out. Actually, I'm pretty sure
that sentence doesn't make sense at all. I think it means "By Tuesday I am going to the
market" but of course I wanted to say "By Tuesday I will go to the market." But I don't
know how to say "I will go."

Well, that's all for now. Naxvamdis. :)

Update: I just noticed that Georgian Facebook calls you "tqven," so I told it "Facebook
modi shenobit vilaparakot." I thought that was hilarious. I need to go to sleep... Also
I keep "liking" random things because I love the word "momwons"!

Edited by zecchino1991 on 09 January 2012 at 9:55am

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5061 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 31 of 426
10 January 2012 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfF1FbMC4Fc

I was watching this just now. It's mostly in Italian with one verse in Georgian. This
was 13 years ago so this girl is about 20 now and she is a famous singer in Georgia.
Well... I don't know how famous she really is since I've never been to Georgia, but it
seems like she is. Pretty cool! I know the whole part in
Georgian, but since I couldn't find reliable lyrics (just some Romanized ones written
by an Italian person who doesn't know Georgian) I had to guess on some of them. I think
it goes like this:

შემოდგომის წვიმის მოდის
კაპ, კაპ. კაპ...
ცა ღრუბლებით დაიფარა
ღრუბელ-ღრუბელ, კიპე–კიპე
კაპ, კაპ, კაპ...
წვიმის წვეთი მორბის ბარად

შარიშურობს და ხმაურით
ეფინება მთებს და ველებს
ნაირფერი ქოლგების ქვეშ
წვიმა ვეღარ დაგვას ველებს

If some of it is wrong, please tell me. Also if you could tell me what it means, that
would be great. All I understand is that it's about clouds/rain.

Edited by zecchino1991 on 12 January 2012 at 7:13am

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5057 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 32 of 426
11 January 2012 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
zecchino1991,
That video is so random :D Anyways your lyrics are quite close

შემოდგომის წვიმა მოდის
კაპ, კაპ, კაპ...
ცა ღრუბლებით დაიფარა
ღრუბელ–ღრუბელ, კიბე–კიბე,
კაპ, კაპ, კაპ...
წვიმის წვეთი მორბის ბარად

შარიშურობს და ხმაურით
ეფინება მთებს და ველებს
ნაირფერი ქოლგების ქვეშ
წვიმა ვეღარ დაგვასველებს

As for translation, it goes like this:

Autumn rain is falling,
Kap, kap, kap (rain sounds :D)
Cloud-by-cloud, stair-by-stair,
Kap, kap, kap
Rain drop is running down plains

It's rustling and with noise
Lays on mountains and valleys
Under motley umbrellas
We won't be soaked by rain anymore

p.s.
Quote:
I will go

წავალ

This discussion contains 426 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version