Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4969 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 41 of 426
16 January 2012 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
zecchino, are you using book2? How helpful is it? I know that some translations sound awkward, because words and sentences are chosen so that specific grammatical features are shown (gender, for instance, which Georgian lacks).
1 person has voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5061 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 42 of 426
16 January 2012 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Well I haven't used it enough for Georgian yet to notice things like that, but it is kind of strange how it is the
same for every language. It is made by German people ( I think) and it's not adjusted for culture, so you get
like three chapters telling you how to order a cognac in Arabic. And you also encounter the problem you
mentioned about certain grammatical things not existing, etc. But other than that I think it is great. For
example, it is a very good way to learn sentence structure and vocabulary. I use it for Hebrew which I have
been studying for quite a while now, and I still learn new (and very useful) things from it. Also, for many
languages they have two people talking in different dialects which is good if you are trying to learn a certain
accent/dialect, or if you just want to get used to hearing more than one form of the language. Although, this
doesn't really apply to Georgian because I don't think there is that much regional variation or anything like
that.

Edited by zecchino1991 on 16 January 2012 at 9:12pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4969 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 43 of 426
16 January 2012 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
Ah I see. I'm planning on doing one lesson a day when I have more free time, like today. I still haven't made up my mind which book to (re)start with, but it's quite likely to be Hewitt's. I still regret not having a Georgian book with shorter lessons in English.

Speaking of which, I haven't been able to start my log yet because I can't add another language to my profile, either studies or speaks, so I can post in languages other than Portuguese.

I don't know if Tixhiidon would enjoy that because he didn't mention it on his log, so I'm asking you first: have you been using songs' lyrics for learning? I find it very motivating. I feel quite happy when I can understand the title of a song, such as თეთრი ღამე from ცისფერი ტრიო, and I able to explain to someone else it has nothing to do with a Tetris Game! It would be really nice to have some songs translated (don't know if the forum rules allow us to do so, though).

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5061 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 44 of 426
16 January 2012 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Hmm... That's weird how you can't add a language. Afraid I can't help you with that though. Have you asked a
moderator?

And I love using song lyrics to learn. That is in large part how I learned a couple of my languges! I haven't
done it much for Georgian yet though. As you can see on the previous page (or maybe this page..) someone
translated a short part of a song for me. But that's about it, since I haven't been able to find the lyrics to many
Georgian songs that I like...

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4933 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 45 of 426
16 January 2012 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
zecchino1991 wrote:
... But that's about it, since I haven't been able to find the lyrics to many Georgian songs that I like...

What kind of music are you interested in?

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 16 January 2012 at 9:53pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4969 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 46 of 426
17 January 2012 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
zecchino1991 wrote:
Hmm... That's weird how you can't add a language. Afraid I can't help you with that though. Have you asked a
moderator?

So, after browsing through the forum a bit, I've started this log:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=30846&PN=1

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5061 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 47 of 426
17 January 2012 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
@hrhenry: Right now I'd be open to any kind of suggestions really. I like to find a wide variety of things when I
try to find language material.

@Expugnator: Look forward to reading your log!

So today I was doing some book2 and I have a question. So one of the sentences is "Madrid and Berlin are
also capital cities," and the Georgian translation says Madridi da Berlinic dedakalakebia." But on the audio
one person says "arian" instead of "-a," and the other person says it as it is written. So are both ways ok? It
seems strange to me to use "-a" becuase it is talking about something plural... Also the next one says
"Dedakalakebi didi da xmauriania." I know that when you put a number before things you treat them as if they
are singular, but how do these sentences I gave work exactly?

Other than this, I'm going to do gakvetili merve ("Bankshi") of Beginner's Georgian and review gakvetili
meshvide. ;)

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5267 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 48 of 426
17 January 2012 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=zecchino1991] So today I was doing some book2 and I have a question. So one of the sentences is "Madrid and Berlin are also capital cities," and the Georgian translation says Madridi da Berlinic dedakalakebia." But on the audio one person says "arian" instead of "-a," and the other person says it as it is written. So are both ways ok? It seems strange to me to use "-a" becuase it is talking about something plural... Also the next one says "Dedakalakebi didi da xmauriania." I know that when you put a number before things you treat them as if they are singular, but how do these sentences I gave work exactly? [QUOTE]

As for the first part of your question, only animate nouns (without counters) use the plural form of the verb, and since "capital city" is inanimate, -a, and not arian, is correct. The next one is correct as it's written, and means "Capital cities are big and noisy".

This discussion contains 426 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version