Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4671 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 105 of 297
15 December 2012 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
Could the other members here add me (stianaune) on skype? I have a group, but I need you
in my contact list to add you to the group.

(Or Brun might create a skype group if she wants to... I'm not trying to boss around
here :p)

Edited by stifa on 15 December 2012 at 7:55pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4846 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 106 of 297
15 December 2012 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Note to everyone: This forum doesn't support Japanese nor Chinese writing well. You can write up to 60 basic English characters safely. After that, however, a space is going to be inserted. Whenever you write a "space," the count is restarted.

Non-English latin characters, like é or ő take up the room of 2 characters. Characters that the average Joe has no clue of (like Japanese characters, Japanese space, dot, exclamation mark, etc.) take up the room of 3 characters.

Just keep in mind this when you want to write a Japanese text or a link with no English spaces. Unless you do this way, stuff like "勉 強してみようと" can happen (I hope you realize the gambaru is cut into two parts by a space). Links will be split like that, too. g-bod calls it 文字化け.

My main point is that Japanese space ain't going to solve anything 文字化け-wise.

Brun Ugle wrote:
What is the problem with 文字化け? I've seen people mention it many times. Do the letters appear as squares and strange symbols? Or is it just the extra spaces that you mean? I don't think I've ever had any problems, but maybe it's because I always write in Word first and then cut and paste.

I don't think. When I write in Notepad, it 文字化け happens regardless. Your not having problems is probably due to your writing Japanese texts being less than 60/3=20 characters long, then writing a space or an enter (forgot to mention but enter is as good as basic English space 文字化け-wise).

My guess is the following:
Strings can only store 255 characters so the programmer of this forum decided texts would be input in sizes of 60 characters at most (they would obviously be concatenated, since you can see the posts in whole, not in 60 characters long parts). Let's call the 60char thingie a "variable." Whenever you post something, it sends the variables separately to the forum. Then the variables get concatenated and shown to you well. However, as I told you up there, there's an unsolved issue with non-English texts (even with German, which is obviously a very important language,   eg. siebenhundertsiebenundsiebzigtausendsiebenhundertsiebenundf nf (777775) is garbaged). Here's how the real 文字化け happens (that is producing fully incomprehensible parts):

Jaseur wrote:

今は、AnkiとSubstoSRSの使い方を理解しようと �� �しています。

(As I said, a Japanese character takes 3 space, basic English takes only 1.)
今は、=3*3 space
Anki=4*1 space
と=1*3 space
SubstoSRS=9*1 space
の使い方を理解しようと=11*3 space
that's 3*3+4*1+1*3+9*1+11*3=58 space, therefore there's 2 space left to be taken.
Machine of writer sends the 3 spaces of 我
Machine of forum says "Well, there's only 2 spaces left so I'll take the first 2 'chars' of 我." and that unintended 2 'chars' are garbage. Then the machine inserts a basic English space, as I said, and then some random things happens that I don't know of.

Brun Ugle wrote:
I like our new name, but the log was so much easier to find when it had "funny letters" in it.

I also like awesome scripts, rather than the average basic English. Actually, that's one of the reasons for my learning Japanese, but we're trying to convince the average Joe here. Which reminds me. It seems the average Joe finds pronounced Japanese unpleasant, so I guess we should go for an instrumental team song (I like the current song, but if want to please the average Joe...).

I will do the introduction in Japanese when I'll feel like it.

Edited by Takato on 15 December 2012 at 10:05pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4595 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 107 of 297
15 December 2012 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
I like our new name, but the log was so much easier to find when it
had "funny letters" in it.

I love the script too, which is why I was in support of the initial name, or even the
kanji for Sakura. It takes less space too :) But I understand that we have an
international and diverse community, so there. It's interesting, though, that the
intros evolved into Japanese! Now readers really won't be able to tell who we are,
which is why we originally changed the name to reveal Roman letters :D I am having a
kick out of it, though, I loved reading g-bod's and stifa's intros. I will post mine
when I get home to a nice, quiet room with a laptop, and I will attach a loose English
translation for those who know little to no Japanese, on or off the team :)

Edited by Woodsei on 15 December 2012 at 10:18pm

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4846 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 108 of 297
15 December 2012 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
It's interesting, though, that the intros evolved into Japanese! Now readers really won't be able to tell who we are, which is why we originally changed the name to reveal Roman letters :D

When I'm on the Spanish chatroom, I always like to write in Spanish because then the natives will supposedly correct it. Some of my Spanish will surely be maintained that way.
So, I guess people like to rather write in the less known language for practice and possible corrections.

Edited by Takato on 15 December 2012 at 10:56pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 109 of 297
15 December 2012 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
stifa wrote:
Could the other members here add me (stianaune) on skype? I have a group, but I need you
in my contact list to add you to the group.

(Or Brun might create a skype group if she wants to... I'm not trying to boss around
here :p)

I don't have skype and know nothing about it, so you'll have to explain to me if I'm to do anything. And I need to have it with a teaspoon as we say. (Inn med teskje.)

But is this skype thing just voice? That might be difficult for me. I have a great deal of trouble talking on the phone even to one person. It's easier when I can see them. Someone else mentioned oovoo which apparently lets you video-chat with up to 12 people at the same time.

I think I will use my leadership abilities and delegate figuring this out to you. I know nothing about this kind of stuff and I'm not even sure I'll be able to participate until my landlord starts fixing things. I need to put my foot down with him too.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 110 of 297
15 December 2012 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
どうぞよろしくお願いします。

私のスクリーンネームはBrun Ugleです。 意味は茶色の梟です。 でも本名はジャニスです。 アメリカ人ですが、13年前にノルウェーに 引っ越しました。

過去4年間、 会計検査官として働きましたけれど、数日前 に、仕事を辞めました。 今、無職で、 新しい仕事を見つけなければなりません。

実は、外国語が下手です。 第一回日本語を習おうとしたは 1994年ごろだと思います。 その後、数回習おうとしたが、 いつも諦めました。 とにかく、2011年の終わりから、 もう一度やってみています。 今、簡単な本を読めます。 でも、話すのも、 聞き取るのも、書くのもまだできません。 2013年、そのことも習いたいのです。

2013年から、 スペイン語も勉強してみようと思います。 スペイン語は日本語より易しいとでしょう。 他の言語も少し試したいが、 時間があるかどうかまだ分かりません。 時間管理も下手のです。

And loosely translated to English for those whose Japanese is at an even lower level than mine:

Hello!
My screen name is Brun Ugle which means Brown Owl. My real name is Janice.
For the past 4 years, I’ve been an auditor, but a few days ago I quit my job. Now I’m unemployed so I’d better find a new job.
Actually, I’m rather bad at foreign languages. I think the first time I tried to learn Japanese was around 1994. After that I tried several times, but always gave up. Anyway, toward the end of 2011 I thought I’d try again. Now I’m able to read simple books, but I can’t speak, understand or write. In 2013 I want to learn those things as well.
Starting in 2013, I’m also planning to study Spanish. Spanish is probably easier than Japanese. I’d like to give other languages a try too, but I don’t know if I’ll have time. I’m not very good at time-management either.

Edit: I see what you mean. I didn't get so much in the way of odd characters, but rather odd spaces. So I just put a space after every punctuation mark instead. Maybe I just never noticed it before.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 15 December 2012 at 11:08pm

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4846 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 111 of 297
15 December 2012 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
But is this skype thing just voice? That might be difficult for me. I have a great deal of trouble talking on the phone even to one person. It's easier when I can see them.

So funny. I have trouble when talking on phone, of course.
(This week is the first time I ordered pizza on phone. I hesitated at least 30 minutes beforehand but I could order it in the end. My name on the pizza box was messed up, but the pizza was delicious.)
But I have even greater trouble when I can see the person(s) (e.g. video chat). They would be able to see each and every move of mine.

Brun Ugle wrote:
Please let me know if I've forgotten you or if your name or link is wrong.

You've forgotten me. I would be very glad if you'd be so kind as to put my name there on the list accordingly.

Edited by Takato on 15 December 2012 at 10:57pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 112 of 297
15 December 2012 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
But is this skype thing just voice? That might be difficult for me. I have a great deal of trouble talking on the phone even to one person. It's easier when I can see them.

So funny. I have trouble when talking on phone, of course.
(This week is the first time I ordered pizza on phone. I hesitated at least 30 minutes beforehand but I could order it in the end. My name on the pizza box was messed up, but the pizza was delicious.)
But I have even greater trouble when I can see the person(s) (e.g. video chat). They would be able to see each and every move of mine.

My problem is not just one of shyness, although I am somewhat shy. But my main problem is one of communication difficulties. I can usually manage talking with one person in person if they are reasonably good at holding the conversation going. I often have a great deal of trouble though when there is more than one person there because I miss all the subtle signals that people with normal communication abilities (ie no autism) pick up on. However, on the phone, I can't even talk to one person generally. There are only a few people I can talk to on the phone. I can understand my mother, but I have trouble saying much. I talk fairly easily with my ex-husband, and I have one nephew that I've managed to have a good conversation with. Other than that, the result is usually confusion.

Takato wrote:

Brun Ugle wrote:
Please let me know if I've forgotten you or if your name or link is wrong.

You've forgotten me. I would be very glad if you'd be so kind as to put my name there on the list accordingly.

Sorry. I've been using most of my time updating the TAC sign-up and haven't updated here for a while. So you weren't the only one missing.

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version