Jaseur
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5877 days ago

50 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 65 of 297
12 December 2012 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
What should be the deadline for deciding on the name? Presumably we are going to have a
vote and we obviously want to get it sorted before the challenge begins.

We have 11 members now. We could wait to reach a certain number or we could set a date.
I don't know if Brun is planning to split the team at 20 members or not.

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 66 of 297
12 December 2012 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
The deadline for setting a name would be New Year's Eve, I suppose. But we should really try to have one before then.

I won't split the team. If we get too big, I will start a new team. So we should decide ahead of time, what is too big. I'm thinking I should do like we did with the Russian team and stop at 15. Then if the second team turns out to be really small, we can just absorb them.

I like the name Zen if we want to be peaceful, or Godzilla if we want to annihilate. If we choose Godzilla though, I think we have to spell it that way. People won't understand Gojira.

Edit: When I think about it. Godzilla is really cool. Everyone knows who he is even if they haven't seen any of the movies, and everyone would associate him with Japan.

Also, does anyone know about kraemder? Is he coming back? We should probably save a place for him since he was on the team before. It's nice to keep the old teammates together.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 12 December 2012 at 5:48pm

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5780 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 67 of 297
12 December 2012 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
Well, can I put in a genuine vote for Team う?

So what if it's meaningless, or not instantly recognisable as a cultural export of Japan (and lets face it, most of what *is* recognisable to people outside of Japan who have no real interest in Japan seems to tend towards the kitsch).

The Japanese syllabary is a really unique feature of the Japanese language and I don't understand why it's use in this way could be considered inappropriate on a forum for language geeks.

Furthermore, it seemed natural enough from the outset that it has already been adopted by many of the group members in log titles etc.

And finally, a one character team name leaves more space for individuality for the rest of our individual log titles!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4595 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 68 of 297
12 December 2012 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
These are fantastic resources for comprehensible input and Tadoku (extensive reading):-

1. EhonNavi: Children's picture books. Fantastic resource, but you can view a the book
only once, since this is, I think, a site that allows you to preview stories before you
buy them. All you need is to create an account, which is free, and read your way to
heaven :) Link is here

2. online/">This is the blog where I found the above website. It's creator, Liana, is
a fan of Tadoku and discussed it at length, with a great interview with Professor Sakai
Kunihide, who introduced formally Tadoku for Japanese learners of English in Japan.
Liana also wrote up great reviews on books, and has a bunch of suggestions on places to
buy books, as well as free reading sites. I love her blog and all the links :) I think
she stopped writing for sometime because she had a baby, but her blog is a treasure
trove. I'm linking to the extensive reading materials online page on her blog.

Regarding suggestions for a name, I thought of a few that are stereotypical Japanese.
I'm still in favor of the Japanese script for a team name, but I do understand the need
of Roman letters for others who aren't studying the language.

How about Sakura? No one would ever miss that for Japan. And they are highly-treasured
flowers there.

Isshoukenmei, meaning working to the utmost, or the utmost of one's will, but I don't
think people outside of Japanese might recognize the meaning.

Hachiko: A dog that faithfully waited everyday for his master at the train station,
long after he died, for 10 years. I do understand if people don't want to name the team
after a dog, but this particular dog is a precious symbol of faith in Japan, so I
thought that could be a good idea. There is a statue for it standing at Shibuya
station. Here's a link to the
Wikipedia article.

Just some suggestions.

Edited by Woodsei on 12 December 2012 at 10:08pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

benbassist
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5225 days ago

51 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 69 of 297
12 December 2012 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
Sakura is a good one.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4595 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 70 of 297
12 December 2012 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Here's a link to the blog. I don't know why the hyperlink isn't showing it.

http://joechip.net/extensivereading/2011/06/15/extensive-rea ding-material-online/

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4595 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 71 of 297
12 December 2012 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Oh, just remove the space in the above link. It's probably why it didn't work.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5780 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 72 of 297
12 December 2012 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Ooh, I would be happy to go with Sakura too!

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version