United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5780 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 113 of 297
16 December 2012 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
Now readers really won't be able to tell who we are, which is why we originally changed the name to reveal Roman letters

Well, with some study of kana, a little bit of grammar work, and a browser plugin like rikaichan, I'm sure anybody who was that desperate to find out more about us would be able to. Never mind the fact that there are over 100 million native speakers of Japanese in the world...there's no such thing as a secret language! :)

I'm not so sure what level everybody is on the team which is why I'd be happy to offer a translation if necessary, but it was good fun writing it in Japanese (and it's been good fun reading the other introductions so far too!) - and I think quite fitting for a Japanese Team log. I don't see enough Japanese on the language logs in this forum, I suspect partly because of the lack of native speakers here and also because of the way the forum software doesn't like long strings with no spaces.

Actually, Brun Ugle, if you have time it might be quite nice to update the team list on your first post to give a little information about what stage of study the different members of the team are at when the challenge begins, as a very quick reference? But I'm sure we'll all get a better idea anyway as everybody starts filling out their logs in the New Year.
1 person has voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4595 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 114 of 297
16 December 2012 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
g-bod, I totally agree with you. I guess we really should bump up Japanese a notch on our
logs. It's an amazingly beautiful language, and everyone should know that! :) Although,
I'm not too sure who's ready to do grammar work to read a post :) Maybe we should start
handing out towels too, to go along with our team photo and song???? :) Since people
will be doing "drills"   :D

And it just occurred to me, how about a team proverb?

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4671 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 115 of 297
16 December 2012 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
Look at the Schnitzel page, Brun. Solfrid Christin explained very well why voice chat
is better than video chat there.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 116 of 297
16 December 2012 at 8:58am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:

I'm not so sure what level everybody is on the team which is why I'd be happy to offer a translation if necessary, but it was good fun writing it in Japanese (and it's been good fun reading the other introductions so far too!) - and I think quite fitting for a Japanese Team log. I don't see enough Japanese on the language logs in this forum, I suspect partly because of the lack of native speakers here and also because of the way the forum software doesn't like long strings with no spaces.

I suppose what I really should have done was to write in Japanese and then post the English a day or too later. It could be like a reading comprehension test and then you could check your answers later. I admit, if the translation is there, I will frequently go right to the English rather than struggle my way through the Japanese.

About the long strings with no spaces, it is a problem if the software inserts a space in the middle of a word because then you can't use Rikaichan. So in the future, before I post, I will insert a space after every punctuation mark. If there is a really long string of characters, I can also insert a space after the occasional particle. I think that is much easier than posting first and then editing because then you have to search for all the spaces. When I did it my way the second time, it didn't even take much time.

g-bod wrote:

Actually, Brun Ugle, if you have time it might be quite nice to update the team list on your first post to give a little information about what stage of study the different members of the team are at when the challenge begins, as a very quick reference? But I'm sure we'll all get a better idea anyway as everybody starts filling out their logs in the New Year.

If people tell me what levels they are A1, A2, etc for each skill, I will put it with their names. It could also be nice to know what other languages the person knows or is learning so we can easily see what else we have in common.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 117 of 297
16 December 2012 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
g-bod, I totally agree with you. I guess we really should bump up Japanese a notch on our
logs. It's an amazingly beautiful language, and everyone should know that! :) Although,
I'm not too sure who's ready to do grammar work to read a post :) Maybe we should start
handing out towels too, to go along with our team photo and song???? :) Since people
will be doing "drills"   :D

And it just occurred to me, how about a team proverb?

We definitely need a proverb. Can you see if you could find one? It should be very Japanese and preferably have sometime to do with sakura. And we'll also need to translate it so others can understand.

The Russian teams is joking about T-shirts, but I don't think we'll go quite that far :)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 118 of 297
16 December 2012 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
stifa wrote:
Look at the Schnitzel page, Brun. Solfrid Christin explained very well why voice chat
is better than video chat there.

Well, I'm not sure that the having clothes on part is so important. I really don't mind having something more than pajamas on. But I suppose if the quality is bad, it might be hard to work. I don't know if that Oovoo site has better quality than Skype because I've never tried either. My problem with voice chat is as I said earlier, but if I don't have to say anything and don't have to understand everything, I suppose I could do it. It would be very difficult for me in any case whether video or voice.

In real life, when there is a group of people conversing, I usually just stand and watch. I'm kind of invisible too, so it's not unusual that they gradually move closer together and I get squeezed to the outside of the circle. I don't think they mean it, they just don't notice me.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4671 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 119 of 297
16 December 2012 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
I see what you mean.

Also, I'm going to spend most of my christmas break at home where the internet
connection is kinda crap,
which mean that I would probably not even manage to use video chat....

And I easily end up being squeezed out of circles as well but that's mostly because I
kinda suck at
speakng English...

EDIT: Corrected the myriad of typos here

Edited by stifa on 17 December 2012 at 11:37pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 120 of 297
16 December 2012 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
Ooooh!

We need a team mascot!!

I suppose we could steal a cartoon character or a figure from a book. Or we could find an appropriate animal. But if anyone here is creative and good at drawing, maybe we could make our own. Any volunteers? Either to make one or to find one?

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version