United States
Joined 4144 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Sign Language
Studies: Japanese

Message 217 of 297
06 January 2013 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
Skype - This sounds like a great idea. Put me down as tentative, as it will depend on
how much surgery recovery is going. I'm not well-versed in using Skype (I've only made
two video calls) but open to trying it out!

IRC - I remember using IRC via clients in the 90s. Ah, memories of chat rooms... It's
quite good due to the use of bots. If we want to give IRC a go, I'm open to that too.

LanguageSpon List - Wow, that's a great list! We would have to adapt the Cursive section
for Japanese, but I think it would be a great fit for us!
1 person has voted this message useful

Helemano
Japan
Joined 4138 days ago

31 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 218 of 297
07 January 2013 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
This is (or used to be) kujichagulia. I changed the e-mail address in my account, and VOILA! I lost access to my account. I wish I had seen the warnings posted here and there, but oh well. Maybe it was a sign to get rid of that kujichagulia moniker. :)

Anyway, once I get settled into this new account, I'll start up my TAC '13 log, I promise.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 219 of 297
07 January 2013 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Now that some of you seem to be trying the 'link to individual posts' thing again, a brief comment on my 'fancy ways' about it. I presented (for discussion) scripts to do it here and here. They insert visible links containing comment IDs to the side of every forum post so you don't need to look for them. Nice, simple, convenient. I'm still open to questions regarding it but please read the manual first ;)

WRT to IRC (please go to Wikipedia or ask concrete questions AFTER doing so) it's a fantastic idea! I never used it much even when I owned an internet cafe because I never saw the point of chatting with people I barely know just for the sake of it. I know it looks limited compared with real voice chat, but in every other regard it was superior to modern text chatting in IM clients like Skype. I don't know about the latest IM developments, but back in '99 we had quiz and all sorts of popular contests held at IRC channels and conducted by bots (with all the advantages it posed).

Who knows, maybe I could even dust off some skills and program some bot-driven stuff for our challenges (not necessarily an adaption of LanguageSpon) *when* (you knew there had to be a down side) I stop being illiterate ;)

My problem was that I did read your description and the Wikipedia and understood nothing. I'm not sure I read everything in your thread though, so maybe there was some more clarification in there, but Takato's method works fine for me, so I should probably stick to something I understand. I suppose I should get one of those Internet for Dummies books or something :)

And I would be very happy if people had alternate suggestion for challenges. It would save me a bit of time trying to think of them.

I really shouldn't have mentioned the other day that my internet was working so well. It brought down the wrath of the internet gods upon me. Yesterday and this morning it's been very fickle again. Most of the time, I didn't have any connection at all. I imagine that I wouldn't even sound like a robot then.

(I just realized that if I'm talking about internet gods, I probably do need that book.)

Edited by Brun Ugle on 07 January 2013 at 8:32am

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5024 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 220 of 297
07 January 2013 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
My problem was that I did read your description and the Wikipedia and understood nothing. [...] maybe there was some more clarification in there, but Takato's method works fine for me, so I should probably stick to something I understand. I suppose I should get one of those Internet for Dummies books or
something :)

I've been through this 'I understood nothing' so many times...
Yes, you should definitely stick to what you understand until you're ready to take the bull by the horns and start asking questions about what you don't. Simple as that, really, and it applies to everything in life ;)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 221 of 297
07 January 2013 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
My problem was that I did read your description and the Wikipedia and understood nothing. [...] maybe there was some more clarification in there, but Takato's method works fine for me, so I should probably stick to something I understand. I suppose I should get one of those Internet for Dummies books or
something :)

I've been through this 'I understood nothing' so many times...
Yes, you should definitely stick to what you understand until you're ready to take the bull by the horns and start asking questions about what you don't. Simple as that, really, and it applies to everything in life ;)

Yes. It's like trying to read a novel in Japanese with a vocabulary of only a few hundred words. You have to look up nearly every word and probably still can't follow the story. I keep thinking that I should learn more about computers and internet, but it's hard to even know where to start. So a book on the basics would probably be best, but I don't feel like buying one right now when I don't even have a job.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 222 of 297
07 January 2013 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
I told Luai-lashire that she could be on the team if she wanted to since she was on the team earlier.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4671 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 223 of 297
10 January 2013 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Should we prepare something for the Skype meeting on Saturday??

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4846 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 224 of 297
11 January 2013 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
Maybe if you are thinking about trying out Skype but are nervous about what to say, you could try preparing a short self introduction in Japanese beforehand - and you'll have a whole week to do this in.

stifa wrote:
Should we prepare something for the Skype meeting on Saturday??

If you're shy: yes. If you want to improvise: no.

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version