brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 193 of 297
04 January 2013 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
Hi again Fernando!

It looks like we get to switch roles. On Romulan, you're the one who knows everything and I'm the one who only knows ¡Hola!

Don't worry about being a beginner. We are all at different levels and all with our own strengths and weaknesses. So we all get to help each other and learn from each other.

1 person has voted this message useful

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4846 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 194 of 297
04 January 2013 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the team, Fernando! Your knowledge might come back from a hidden segment of your head so good luck!

I was thinking of why would やって be an imperative, trying to find the solution in the colloquial listing when I realized it's just the plain imperative. ._. So I thought I'd share it while I don't forget. When I hear some weird stuff it usually clears it up.

Also, I can't believe Tae Kim's Grammar Guide is not listed in the resources section. I didn't go through it thoroughly but it makes the grammar understood from a Japanese point of view.

Edited by Takato on 04 January 2013 at 11:43pm

FDppkaul
Groupie
Norfolk Island
Joined 5039 days ago

36 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 195 of 297
05 January 2013 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
Hey guys, are you using or planning to use Skype to exchange ideas about the learning of Japanese?

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 196 of 297
05 January 2013 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
I finally got around to updating the links section. I also added yours, Takato.

I think stifa is in charge of Skype.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 05 January 2013 at 1:41pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 197 of 297
05 January 2013 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
This post is going to be very similar, but not 100% the same, to what I post on the Romulan thread. So if you're on both teams and think it looks familiar, that's why.

I've been watching some of the other teams to see how they are running things and to perhaps gather some inspiration. So far, both team Viking and team MIR have developed their own blogs and they and Sparta are working on small challenges that they can do together. I know LanguageSponge is planning to post a bunch of them on the Greek thread on Tuesday or so.

I'm not saying that we should necessarily do the same things, but I thought I would tell you about them and see what you think. If you want to do some challenges, I'm sure we could steal a few from LanguageSponge and the others and adapt them for Japanese in addition to making some of our own. But if you want to make a blog, then someone else is going to have to do it. I'm not really experienced enough to do it very well.

Cristina and I think it's a shame that so many people expect most of the teams to lose most of their members and we want to do everything we can to prevent that. So anything anyone can think of to help the team to bond together would be very welcome. Sputnik kept half or more of its members last year, so they must be doing something right, so I don't feel bad about getting some inspiration from them just as they have gotten inspiration from us. It should be noted that we also kept about half our members last year, so we are doing a good job. But this year, I want to keep ALL our members and I will do whatever I can to achieve that. Team Sakura is likely to be strong since over half of our members were on this or another TAC team last year or have been keeping a log for a while, but it never hurts to become even stronger.

I had already been intending to try to contact any member who disappeared for a while to see how they were doing, but Cristina also had some interesting ideas about what we all can do. Some of them are things we do anyway, but there are some interesting ideas there that I think we could have a look at. I know mrwarper has some fancy way to link to individual posts, but I couldn't figure out what he was talking about so I'll have to do it the old fashioned way. Just scroll down to post 264.

I'm sure you are a bunch of creative people so any ideas you come up with, don't be afraid to post them, so we can discuss them. We've talked about Skype and several people seem interested in that. Stifa is working on it, I think. I don't have a good connection yet, but that shouldn't stop the rest of you. Because of different timezones and schedules, we can't expect everyone to make it every time anyway.

Takato had an idea about using IRC (or maybe it's called ICR?) for kanji drills. I have no idea what that is. I looked it up on wikipedia, but much like mrwarper's link thing, I couldn't make heads or tails of it. But if others of you like the idea, we could try something like that.

I hope that this year we will not only be a solid team, but that we also can become good friends :D

Edited by Brun Ugle on 05 January 2013 at 3:38pm

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4671 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 198 of 297
05 January 2013 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I suggested making a skype group, but that was pretty much like chatting with a
brick wall. We just have to add each other and then open a text group chat that kind of
go on forever, and then just set up a voice chat for that gruip. At least I think it
works like that. Started using Skype when I moved abroad so I dodn't have to pay a
fortune to call home...

IRC (Internet Relay Chat) is kind of like Skype chat (text), I think. The only
difference is that you won't receive anything unless your logged on as IRC chats works
without any sort of middle servers.

Edited by stifa on 05 January 2013 at 4:48pm

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4846 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 199 of 297
05 January 2013 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
I know mrwarper has some fancy way to link to individual posts, but I couldn't figure out what he was talking about so I'll have to do it the old fashioned way. Just scroll down to post 264.

You have probably copied the link from the URL bar, so you have this:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=34425&PN=1&TPN=33

If you want the fancy link, you need to insert #423267 after that. That's how you get it:
you need to scroll down to the end of message 264, hover over "Quote" and you get to see something like

(click on the picture for a huger version of it)
so you concatenate # and the number after the link.

Edited by Takato on 05 January 2013 at 5:24pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 200 of 297
05 January 2013 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
As soon as I get Skype, I'm with you on that. It's just that my internet connection isn't very stable. Right now it seems to be pretty good, but the other day, it was pretty bad and I never know ahead of time when it will work. If you want to be in charge of figuring out how to best arrange Skype, maybe you should ask MIR. They are old hands at this now, so they probably know what works and what doesn't.

I so wish that electrician would come and fix everything so I could be sure of the internet. I'm beginning to think electricians use the same calender as landlords -- the one where the weeks are six months long.

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version