Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4509 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 257 of 586
02 January 2013 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
I've just posted my goals for 2013 on my log, if anyone is interested! =)
1 person has voted this message useful

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5474 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 258 of 586
02 January 2013 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Hope the goals go well fabrico!

Just a quick note to say I'm lagging behind on reading everyone's logs, but will get there eventually! :D Well done to all you dedicated souls who got there first! Hope the studying is going well.

riff
United States
Joined 5088 days ago

32 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 259 of 586
02 January 2013 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
I've taken the liberty of throwing up a site on Wordpress that we could use:

Team MIR Website

I'm not a Wordpress wizard by any means, so if anyone can do a better job, I will
gladly step aside, just say the word.

Anyone who wants to help administer the site or become an author just needs to send me
an email address or Wordpress username so I can invite them. I may be a little slow
adding people since I'll be traveling for the next two weeks and my internet access
will be iffy.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 260 of 586
02 January 2013 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
riff wrote:
I've taken the liberty of throwing up a site on Wordpress that we could use:

Team MIR Website

I'm not a Wordpress wizard by any means, so if anyone can do a better job, I will
gladly step aside, just say the word.

Anyone who wants to help administer the site or become an author just needs to send me
an email address or Wordpress username so I can invite them. I may be a little slow
adding people since I'll be traveling for the next two weeks and my internet access
will be iffy.

Thanks a lot!!! I love making a wish, then go to the airport to pick up my daughter, and before I am back it is already fulfilled. Being on this team is like having Aladdin's lamp in you hands :-)

I look forward to us filling the website with beautiful pictures and music and film references and jokes and resources and whatnot and if mrwarper can get the Russian "million and Queen" thing in Russian, and an assurance from a Russian that it is not totally inappropriate to say it in public, we could even have that there!

Any other ideas for what we could fill it with? Anyone else who will step forward and assist riff?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 02 January 2013 at 11:44pm

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4785 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 261 of 586
03 January 2013 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
riff wrote:
I've taken the liberty of throwing up a site on Wordpress that we could use: Team MIR Website

Ahhh... I was already wondering how long it would take, until further TAC-blogs emerge :-)))
It's great to see that someone got inspired by our website already!

I left a comment under "resources", with a link where you can find some helpful sites to learn Russian (fair play!).
And your team's website is now linked in our blogroll, so we can keep an eye on you guys!

Удачи!

Edited by Mae on 03 January 2013 at 4:10am

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5189 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 262 of 586
03 January 2013 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
riff wrote:
I've taken the liberty of throwing up....

Oh, it is late, and I am so drugged. Don't worry, it's all legal cold medicine. But still.. this just struck me as funny...

riff
United States
Joined 5088 days ago

32 posts - 36 votes

Message 263 of 586
03 January 2013 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
riff wrote:
I've taken the liberty of throwing up....

Oh, it is late, and I am so drugged. Don't worry, it's all legal cold medicine. But
still.. this just struck me as funny...

@Kerrie Haha, that was a rather unfortunate choice of words wasn't it. I need to watch my
language around here :).

@Mae Thanks for your comment! I've added your site to our blogroll as well.

Edited by riff on 03 January 2013 at 7:08am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 264 of 586
03 January 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
KEEPING THE NEWBIES AND THE OLDIES :-)

There seems to be this underlying expectation that the TAC teams will loose 3/4ths of its members by the end of the year. And in particular the newbies seem to be considered "dead men walking" (on death row). The statistics are pretty grim on this. I am however determined that this will not happen to team MIR on my watch, and I have a number of suggestions as to how we can do it. Feel free to comment on my suggestions and to come up with more suggestions. Team Sputnik managed to keep almost half its members, and I think we can improve even on that. In space it is important both that every man is responsible for himself, and that no man is left behind. I think a combination of these two principles will spell success!

1. DO TASKS AND CHALLENGES

I will give you tasks, generally of more administrative nature, and Language Sponge will give you small challenges. Do them if you can. It will help motivate you, and it will tie you closer to the team. I also suggest that you share your daily discoveries with the language under the "My discovery of the day" title. It does not have to be anything big. A funny word or un anfamiliar grammer point is enough. But be active.

2. ASK NOT WHAT THE TEAM CAN DO FOR YOU, BUT WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR THE TEAM!

The best way of getting connected to a team, is to have a responsibility. That also makes it less heavy for me to be the captain, knowing that I have a team that can do all the things I cannot do, or that I do not have the capacity to do. I have asked tarvos to take care of the Skype sessions, LanguageSponge is in charge of the small challenges, riff of the web site, and I am going to ask another members of team MIR to do something else (will wait until I have talked to him). What can you contribute with? Most probably your immediate answer will be: I do not know of anything! But I am sure you can. Some of you can be good at Internet stuff, find links, find out how we publish audio, some could help riff with the web site, some are good at finding beautiful pictures and music for the web site, one can be in charge of the Russian content of our Skype sessions. Let your creativity flow, and let me know what you are good at. I am pretty good at motivation, and I am a world class nag :-), so if nothing else comes to mind, I can always need a couple of extra nags in the second half of the year.

3. READ AND COMMENT IN YOUR TEAM MATES' LOGS

It can feel like heavy work right now, when everyone is eager to write, and there are so many logs, but from March on at least, it will be a piece of cake, because people write less frequently. It is however extremely important that we keep doing that, because it is demotivating when you see that the three last posts are written by yourself and that noone has bothered saying anything. "Keep up the good work", or a question about something you have written is way better than silence.

4. MENTORS

No, I did not say dementors - this is not Harry Potter :-), I said mentors. I suggest that those who have experience from a previous TAC take on one to three less experienced TAC members. Ideally someone from approximately the same time zone, though that is not a must. It just makes things a bit easier. I volunteer for Emme (if she needs it) and Tofeeliz who are roughly on the same time zone and who are both girls, and I could probably take on a third one too, if anyone would like to have me as mentor. You may ask or offer through PMs or here on the thread, just let us know the result in the thread.

The main duties of a mentor would just be to keep a particular eye on that member's log, and be availble for the questions they might be reluctant to ask in public. (Ok. I suddenly got a flash to the Woddy Allen film "Everything you have ever been afraid of asking about....") but I meant language related questions, obviously :-). Sending a PM with a friendly nudge if he/she vanishes for a while is also a good idea. We are such a large group that we are practically a school class, so I may not be able to "see" everyone all the time. Together we can.

5. MARCH, AUGUST AND NOVEMBER FRESH STARTS

Everyone is enthusiastic through January and February, but already in March people start losing motivation. We may need mid term kick off parties to prevent that from happening. Party suggestions are welcome :-)

6. SET MONTHLY GOALS

This is LanguageSponge's idea, and it is a wonderful idea. You know how you eat an elephant? In small bites. Look at your year goals, and try to quantify your goals for the month. It will give you an idea of how big the bites need to be. Whether you chose a language per month, two languages per month, some of them or all of them is up to you. Find a system which works for you, and modify it if needed.

7. PICK UP GOOD IDEAS FROM THE OTHER TEAMS!

If you hear of a good idea from another team, tell us about it! Do give credit to the person/team who come up with it first though. If all the teams do a bit of benchmarking and take the best ideas and adapt them to the needs of their teams, then we could perhaps raise the overall life expectancy of the TAC team members, and that would truely be a success!

8.DON'T BE AFRAID TO COME BACK!
The most important is however the following: You are on a team. We depend on you. And we will not let you down. If you fall behind we do not get mad, we do not get disappointed, and if you are too far behind to catch up on challenges or whatever just jump in wherever you are and do your best. Your best will always be good enough. Feeling bad about your performance is a really lousy motivator, so even if you have fallen off the grid for a while, we are there for you. It happens to most of us at one point, the important part is getting back in the saddle.

Oh and if anyone else feels like posting any of this or picking out ideas for their team threads you are of course welcome to do so - if it can contribute to one more member per team making it to the end, it is worth it.

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version