Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 137 of 586
13 December 2012 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Aloysius, yes, that's the one. How many of you have it or would be prepared to get it?

And I still think we miss some presentations/introductions :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5561 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 138 of 586
15 December 2012 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,

I'd be prepared to get the Assimil course although the likelihood is I'd not be getting
the audio due to being a bit short on money. I might be earning loads in Chinese terms
but it translates as virtually nothing in the West.

Jack

Edited by LanguageSponge on 15 December 2012 at 1:15am

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4592 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 139 of 586
15 December 2012 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
I love our new team name. MIR. Music to the ears.

Reading all these posts rekindled the Russian flame that was almost dying out from over
a month of neglect. I'll post a short intro as soon as I get to a quiet place. In the
meantime, I do think Assimil would be a good choice for a common conversational text,
and I have both the 1951 and 2011 versions, with English as the teaching language. I
also have the audio.

I'm really looking forward to Skype. I made some vague noises about it last year, but
never got around to actually joining the meetings. I intend on changing all that this
year, though :)

Regarding the subject of resources, a post on that would be neat. I mostly have
audiobooks and matching text, but very limited and admittedly contrived conversational
resources, which I'd love to expand. So recommendations would be really helpful.

I'm so proud to be on our team again :D

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5561 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 140 of 586
15 December 2012 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
Woodsei, we will surely rekindle the Russian flame just as soon as the New Year begins.
Fires can be reignited quite some time after they initially burn out and something
about the New Year seems to rouse a feeling of renewed determination in us.

Which version of Assimil Russian should I look into getting? I have no experience with
Assimil at all, I've heard there are lots of different versions and to be honest, as
I'm living off a Chinese salary, the price tags for Russian (and Greek) Assimil
with the accompanying audio are a little scary. The prices just for the books
are fine but I'd like the audio because something about not getting the full thing
makes me feel like I'm missing out. Is there an easier way to get the Assimil audio? I
don't care what language they use for instructions or whatever else - English, German,
French, Italian, Spanish (with a little effort), any of those. I'm even debating
whether I actually need the Russian audio at all, or whether to just get it for the
Greek part of the Challenge. Any advice on Assimil in general or where to get the audio
for less than the cost of donating an organ would be very much appreciated.

Jack

Edited by LanguageSponge on 15 December 2012 at 4:16am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6415 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 141 of 586
15 December 2012 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
I am posting this on the main sign-up thread and on all team logs.

This is a special announcement for all teams, certain ones more than others:

-The purpose of TAC teams is to support, help and encourage each other. “All for one and one for all.” That means reading each other’s logs, and commenting them where appropriate. It also means no more bickering.

- It the future all teams will be closed upon reaching 15 members, and new teams will be formed for those languages. Should a new team only attract a few members (about 5-7 depending on the team members prior TAC experience) by the sign-up deadline (31. January 2013), they will be merged with the original team. If in the course of the year, the teams lose half their members, they may also choose to merge. Any team that already has more than 15 members will not be divided, but they will not be allowed to add new members

- Each team is to choose a team leader by Tuesday, 18 December. Inform me of your choice by then. The leader must have prior TAC experience unless there is no such person on the team. The leader is to keep me up-to-date regarding their team.

- I have created a French team and a Spanish team. Anyone studying those languages may choose to join them if they wish. The original Romance teams will remain in existence for those who are studying other Romance languages or who are interested in multiple languages. Note that even if you are only studying French or Spanish you may choose to be on a Romance team rather than a single language team. If there is enough interest for an Italian, Portuguese or Romanian team, I will create one. However, I would like those who may be interested in such a team to gather at least 5 team members before asking me to form the team.

I am sorry to have to make these additional rules, however it is obvious that certain teams are already on the verge of falling apart and a number of more experienced TAC members have noticed this and sent me PM’s requesting that I do something.

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 142 of 586
15 December 2012 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
I already informed mrwarper and Cristina of this, but since we need a leader, I propose
that it is Cristina.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 143 of 586
15 December 2012 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
It looks like we must find a leader :-)

Last year we had a team motto, and I see that one of the other teams have a team song and picture on their first page.

Are there any suggestions for either of these? (And then of course team T-shirts will be the next thing:-)

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 144 of 586
15 December 2012 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
I don't have any ideas for a song or a picture yet, but I'd support the proposal that Cristina should become our team leader.

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version