Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5561 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 73 of 586
09 December 2012 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
Thanks to Teango and Woodsei for the welcome :) I'm looking forward to the beginning of
the challenge and will be interested to see what rubbish comes out of my mouth when I
speak Russian again on a presumably regular basis. I'm going to spend the next few weeks
collecting up resources for Russian. I didn't bring any of my Russian books with me to
China so I suppose that's as good an excuse as any to load up my Kindle with whatever I
can find in the right format. It's times like these where I get annoyed that Russia
doesn't have Amazon. Regarding tarvos's question about a Captain, whatever worked so well
for Team Sputnik in 2012 is fine by me :)

Off to widen my search for Russian Kindle books.
Jack
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 74 of 586
09 December 2012 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
LanguageSponge wrote:
It's times like these where I get annoyed that Russia
doesn't have Amazon.

Russia has more interesting things.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 75 of 586
09 December 2012 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Russia also has a postal service that couldn't outrun a turtle.

TheGreaterFool
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 4167 days ago

65 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Modern Hebrew, French
Personal Language Map

Message 76 of 586
09 December 2012 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
TheGreaterFool wrote:
As I am starting to organize resources and put together a calendar for next year, I
was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about how to document one's progress...are most people
blogging on other sites and linking them back to this one or are people simply creating learning threads on
this site in the team folder?...not exactly sure if what I am asking is clear...I just need a bit of help with the
logistics of this.

cheers
niels

Mostly we just create a log to document our progress on this forum under the general headline of Learning
logs, some chose to have several, like one for each language or theme, but the most successful logs I have
seen have usually been one log for all the languages you do. Have a look at page one of Team Sputnik's
common thread for 2012 and you'll find links to all our logs. Splitting your effort up over several logs typically
tends to be more work than people are able to put in. The enthusiasm rarely lasts longer than February,
though some feel they get motivated by starting new logs during the year. There are no strict rules on this,
but I would recommend that you have a look at the log of Tarvos . He has done an excellent job of
documenting all his languages.

Thx for the advice...I have been reading through the past logs and now have a solid handle on what is expected. It has been a very inspiring read to be sure! I will start up my TAC 2013 learning log once the team name for 2013 gets decided.

Definitely getting excited about the fun and challenges ahead!

cheers
niels

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4510 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 77 of 586
09 December 2012 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
LanguageSponge wrote:
It's times like these where I get annoyed that Russia
doesn't have Amazon.

I totally agree! Things are not that easily (or cheaply) shipped from Russia to Brazil, so I have the same problem.
The thing about Russians is that they have all kinds of websites to download things illegally. Vkontakte itself is like the most illegal website on the internet ahahaha since it has a huge "library" of songs, movies, links, etc etc. Thanks to that, I found the Harry Potter's 6th book for Kindle, among others.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 78 of 586
09 December 2012 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
By the way, during the last Sputnik session I suggested "Mir" as the name for the new
team. It's short, quintessentially Russian, and refers to the ISS.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 79 of 586
09 December 2012 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Whatever we choose in the end, will we spell it in Cyrillic this time?

I mean, I don't really mind doing it either way, but one the things that made our name 'Sputnik' so prominent was that everyone in the forum could read it, and refer to it, whether they spoke Russian or not, without the need to 'translate' or learn to type Cyrillic characters. Does anybody who isn't studying Japanese know what 'Team う' is, or how to write that?

OTOH it's a bit odd to have team names written in the 'wrong' alphabet...

Just a thought.

BTW, I'm all up for the space race theme, and Mir just couldn't be shorter... I wonder if Soyuz would be better known?

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 80 of 586
09 December 2012 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
We could also consider Team Gagarin, which would be a nice continuation of the spirit of Team Sputnik. But I would also be fine with Team Mir.

I don't mind if the Russian words are written in Latin script. I never know what all the Hanzi and Hiragana mean that the Asian teams use.

I'm really looking forward to getting started. See you soon!

BTW, thanks to Teango I now have an earworm of Голубой вагон... ;)

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version