586 messages over 74 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 40 ... 73 74 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 313 of 586
08 January 2013 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Sure, the thing is, sometimes it's not so easy to tell simple mistakes from
plain ignorance, or anything else -- especially for those of us who still see the
language 'from the outside'.
A Russian/Lithuanian friend of mine was quite surprised that I understood every word
(and cases) in a 'simple sentence' yet I could not make any sense out of it. It was
actually two simpler sentences that should be separated by a (missing) dot. In the
beginning he didn't even notice the lacking punctuation, but it totally choked my still
immature Russian 'parser' -- proper punctuation is still pretty important to me, at
least in the sense of knowing any rules.

So you asked him, and he fixed it. This can happen in any language, also if you're at a
more advanced level; I frequently see sentences in Dutch and English that make me go
'wth is this'. Most important thing is that a mistake in communication is not the
world's end in my view. You just ask and figure it out and go on from there.

I agree on your point re: translators.
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 314 of 586
08 January 2013 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Most important thing is that a mistake in communication is not the
world's end in my view.

Of course it's not. The reason why rules are important is that you can be autonomous when you master them and simply ignore silly mistakes instead of choking on them...
Quote:
You just ask and figure it out and go on from there.

... and be able to figure stuff out yourself when you're not chatting on the internet so there's nobody to ask around ;)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 315 of 586
08 January 2013 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Then you figure it out for yourself and verify it later, I suppose.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 316 of 586
08 January 2013 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

So I asked and I said something like сейчас я писать диссертацию. But she said it was
better to add the пойду. So I asked what's the difference? She said in principle there
is no difference. You can leave out пойду when you talk, but not when you write;
however, some people are simply lazy, and leave it out when chatting anyway (it's
colloquial, after all!). So it turns out that this tarzan way of expressing sleep (I
to-sleep?), is actually fairly normal in speech! (I have taken to using it when
appropriate, of course). But it's also telling that you've improved when this sort of
thing is what you notice, and not a new verb conjugation. Or a new grammatical feature.

She actually did not feel such construction correct either. It can be used only in
particular situations. Ну всё, я - спать is probably possible, but it can't be spread
to all the verbs in any situation. I don't think it is fairly common. I don't hear it
often. I don't remember hearing it at all but it means nothing. They actually wrote it,
so it can be on the opposite: they used it in writing in oeder to save time.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 317 of 586
08 January 2013 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

My goal is not to sound like a perfectly bookish Russian who has learned every
single grammar and pronunciation rule by heart! Instead, my goal is to go to Russia,
and to make friends in the local language, and meet the friends I have already made,
and to communicate with them and enjoy life with them through my newfound skills and
obtain a deeper understand of their language and culture. And for that goal, this is a
worthwhile discovery.

What's the connection between pronunciation rules and bookishness? Soft L must be soft,
anyway. The same is with grammar: native speakers do not confuse verbs of motion, it is
as incorrect to put только before a verb if it doesn't refer to the verb in speech as
it is in writing.
I don't see much difference between the standart Russian and the real spoken Russian.
If you want to understand the language, why don't you like my activity? Don't I try to
explain the language to the learners?
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 318 of 586
08 January 2013 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:

What's the connection between pronunciation rules and bookishness? Soft L must be soft,
anyway. The same is with grammar: native speakers do not confuse verbs of motion, it is
as incorrect to put только before a verb if it doesn't refer to the verb in speech as
it is in writing.

The fact that it's incorrect doesn't mean people do not understand. If I say я
спать, instead of я пойду спать. If I pronounce a hard l and say силно instead of
сильно, this doesn't hinder the fact that the other person will still understand that I
meant сильно! Even if I then eventually do learn to pronounce it that way, it doesn't
matter, because they understood what I was trying to say! This is why it doesn't bother
me that the "rule" is that you have to say сильно, and that all Russians pronounce the
l as soft here. I can continue to say the word as long as I have to and perfect my soft
"l" as I go. These rules exist, the grammar you state is obviously correct! But the
thing is that even if we don't always have it come out correctly, people will still
understand what we say. It is not wrong to make mistakes. If I put только before a verb
that doesn't refer to the verb in actual fact, what does the Russian person do?

I'll tell you; he does not say, error error: does not compute! He'll still understand.
Thus, I am not fussed if it's incorrect. If it's an error that impedes comprehension
it'll show up soon enough. If I pronounce my soft l so badly it will be pointed out
because they won't understand what I'm trying to say. (Besides, the l thing is one you
can actually distinguish; I find ш, щ much harder to differentiate). Languages are not
maths, where you cannot validate an equation unless it's 100% sound.

If you demand perfection in language, go ask the academy of language in Russia. We are
going to continue to make mistakes, being humans. Maybe, then, according to you, that
means that I don't speak "good Russian". But that's a standard you're holding me to
that I will not be ever able to comply to; I don't comply to that standard in Dutch or
in English, either!

Quote:
I don't see much difference between the standart Russian and the real spoken
Russian. If you want to understand the language, why don't you like my activity? Don't
I try to explain the language to the learners?

(Just a note: standard is spelled with a d).

Because what you're trying to explain is not exactly what I need to know. I want to
know how to use the language in a practical context. It's good to know that the actual
rule is to use the dash, but the context you're giving me doesn't exactly correspond to
what I "see happen". I see ну, я устала, я спать, and I think, what is going on? Where
is the verb? So I ask, and it turns out that they are leaving out the verb. What I need
to know is not whether it is "grammatically correct" in the sense that putting только
before a verb when it's not referring to the verb is; it is to know why the language is
used like that and in what context I can say "я спать". I am pointing this out because
it is not me writing this, it is a Russian writing this (and probably being lazy with
the пойду). I mentioned it because I have found it to be a frequent thing. The fact I
have seen it from more than one native speaker means the following; it is apparently a
thing people do and there is a pattern to them using it! Then I want to know why that
pattern exists and when I can use it (and I can, because they can, and they are native
speakers).

I'm not approaching language as a linguist. For me, grammar is a tool to describe a
language, it's not an end in and of itself.

Quote:
they used it in writing in oeder to save time.

I specifically asked to confirm this and she said it's used in the spoken language. She
said you can leave it out in writing if you are lazy (and want to save time). It might
be they do something locally though (both speakers I know are from Tomsk, if that is
any help). She did say that it would be more correct to say я пойду писать as opposed
to я писать, but she did not make any distinction between verbs in principle.

It could be that the common denominator is the word спать. I haven't seen it used with
other verbs as much, that is for sure, other than something like Я в магазин

Edited by tarvos on 08 January 2013 at 4:53pm

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4510 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 319 of 586
08 January 2013 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
(Besides, the l thing is one you can actually distinguish; I find ш, щ much harder to differentiate).

Me too! It's probably also partialy my fault, because I don't have much exposure to spoken Russian and even if I do, it's as often as it should be, but to my Brazilian ears it's virtually impossible to detect if it's a Ш or a Щ in speech, and 100% impossible to produce this difference (since I don't really understand it).
The difference between Л and Ль is much easier for both things, probably because we have the Ль sound in Portuguese (or at least a close one).

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 320 of 586
08 January 2013 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
I know that you two guys have a beef with each other, but I think it might be wiser to listen to Mark -- at least this time. Using a very colloquial construction too often or in the wrong context might be frowned upon by some people. Additionally, I don't understand tarvos's fear of sounding too "bookish", especially in this case. Я пойду спать certainly isn't a construction that's only used by elitarian academics. It's interesting to know that one can also say Я - спать, but I think you shouldn't argue with a native speaker about his language. Although Mark can be very critical, I always found his suggestions very useful, and learning a language well doesn't mean sounding "bookish". We already had this discussion in the "Should one learn slang" thread. Of course one should know colloquial language, but you should also know when it's called for.

Other than that, I agree with Cristina that this isn't Team Война...

EDIT: For me, both hard and soft л and ш and щ are nearly impossible to distinguish. I think I'm getting to a point where I can make a distinction between ш and щ, but л and ль? Forget it! The worst word I can think of is большой. I never get the combination of soft л and hard ш right. If the Russians let me decide, that word would be called болщой...

Edited by Josquin on 08 January 2013 at 6:51pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version