Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 241 of 586
01 January 2013 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
@Jack; Congratulations! The silver medal is rightfully yours. Now I am eager to see who gets the bronze medal, and how long it will take before the entire team has reported in as having completed the task. Go out there and read and comment!

The two Russian teams have now been merged, so I ask the present members of team Mir to give a big welcome to our new team members. I have added the new members to the first page, and also the logs I found. Please let me know which languages you will be studying this year, and I will add those too.

Welcome to the new members, Toffeliz, Kerrie, Zecchino1991, Ignus Fatuus, wort, riff, rhadryn and ancpem1!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 02 January 2013 at 1:11am

1 person has voted this message useful

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5562 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 242 of 586
01 January 2013 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
Hi Cristina,

Thank you, I gratefully accept the silver medal and shall wear it with pride. The speed problem is not your computer, I've been trying to read and even do something as technically simple as switch pages here and it's taken so much time I gave up for a while, God only knows what's going on here.

I hereby extend a warm welcome to the new members of Team MIR! I'm really glad the two teams have finally merged together, we will have some fantastic Skype conversations over the course of the year.

Speaking of which, when do we usually begin planning the introductory session? When did you do it last year with Team Sputnik? How does it usually work? Clearly a Skype chat with nearly 20 people in it is going to be difficult and probably impossible not only from a practicality point of view but also a technical one - it would definitely crash Skype on my already crappy Chinese connection!

Jack

Edited by LanguageSponge on 01 January 2013 at 9:00pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 243 of 586
01 January 2013 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
Last year we started on New Year's Eve, so any time really. We have usually done it on Sundays, at 8 in the evening Norway time, but since we are so geographically spread, and so many members, I doubt that it will be possible to have sessions with all of us at the same time. I think 10 is the limit, but so far that has not been a problem, since there are always someone who cannot make it.

We must also be prepared for a lot of technical mic mac, and that the first sessions are basically to get to know each other. I think we did like 4 rounds of presentations at team Sputnik before it really got off the ground. I was thinking of asking tarvos to be in charge of the Skype sessions, so perhaps he would like to make a suggestion for a time?

I also need someone to organize the Russian part of the session. Those of us who share the same resources could read with each other - eg. if we all had Russian Assimil, two and two of the beginners could read some of the first lessons, the intermediate ones could read from later chapters, and ask each other the exercises,and the more advanced might speak freely - but I would need someone to organize it. Any volunteers? We also spoke some of our other languages, but that was usually done without particular organizing - we just chipped in whenever we wanted to contribute to a conversation started by someone in whichever language. It helped for those of us who were terrified of speaking Russian, but who could cope in other languages.

We must also make sure that we have all added each other on Skype before we do this. When we started up last time we had a lot of stress having to add people at the last minute, so it would be nice to have everything ready, so we reduce the heart attack inducing factors :-)

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 244 of 586
01 January 2013 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Hi! Wow, I have a big task ahead of me visiting all these logs! Has that medal been
claimed yet? ;P

I already wrote an introduction, I think, so I will just say that, besides Russian, I am
studying Georgian and Modern Hebrew. I am on the Middle Eastern team (Team Alef) and a
Georgian team with one other person - Expugnator. (He is on this team, too).

:)

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5143 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 245 of 586
01 January 2013 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Sorry I’ve been AWOL just at the very beginning of the year, but I promise I haven’t jumped ship even before the TAC started! It’s just that we’ve been away over the holidays and even though I thought I would have had internet access where we stayed, it turned out not to be the case.

Anyway, I’ve been a good girl and I’ve managed to squeeze in a little Russian every day even while away.

And now that I’m back online I’m playing catch up with you all by getting my TAC log going and reading other team members’ logs.

Actually I’ve decided to keep my old log and just change its title. The TAC starts on page 9.

And last but not least I want to wish everyone old and new on Team MIR a great 2013!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5191 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 246 of 586
01 January 2013 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
My first task for you all is the following: Go visit all the threads of your team mates, and leave a message at each one if you have not already done so.

Quote:
The two Russian teams have now been merged, so I ask the present members of team Mir to give a big welcome to our new team members. I have added the new members to the first page, and also the logs I found. Please let me know which languages you will be studying this year, and I will add those too.

Welcome to the new members, Toffeliz, Kerrie, Zecchino1991, Ignus Fatuus, wort, riff and ancpem1!

This must be why I got done with work and checked my email and had 180 email notices from HTLAL. haha

I am glad to be part of the most awesome TAC team. I am really excited to be starting Russian, even though I am also focusing on a few other languages. One of my January goals is to do at least 20 minutes of Russian a day, and to get through the first 21 lessons of Assimil by the end of the month.

We're going to have a great year this year!

Rhadryn
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5179 days ago

53 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, French
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Latin, German

Message 247 of 586
01 January 2013 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
Hello Team Mir!

I'm not on the list of welcomed people but since I was officially part of Team Russian 2 I believe I'm supposed to be here. My Russian is quite weak so I appreciate being able to take inspiration from teammates. My log can be found here: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=34813&PN=1.

Russian and Japanese are my focus languages, but I'm also studying German, Spanish, French, Latin, and Arabic.

Good luck to everyone! I'm excited to read about your progress!

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 248 of 586
01 January 2013 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
There! I have now commented on everyone's log! Except the link to fabriciocarraro's
doesn't seem to work...I mean, I found it anyway, but I just wanted to let you know. :)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 01 January 2013 at 11:59pm

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version