Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 81 of 586
09 December 2012 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
Whichever name we use, I prefer that we use the Latin alphabet. I would not be able to reproduce the name
of a single one of the other teams, given that they partly use an alphabet I do not understand, and partly have
names which means nothing to me. I am not kidding when I say that part of our success comes from having a
good, identifiable name.

I could go for the A-team, for Komanda-A, for Mir (which I think is brilliant in that it is short, and means both
world and peace) and Gagarin and Pushkin - but please - with our alphabet. I would hate to be about to write
"Go team. .... And have to wait until I got home because I do not have the Russian letters on my work PC.

1 person has voted this message useful

TheGreaterFool
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 4168 days ago

65 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Modern Hebrew, French
Personal Language Map

Message 82 of 586
09 December 2012 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
So how will the team name be decided? Vote? Consensus?

I like the idea of continuing the space theme from last year and I agree with Solfrid's suggestion that the team name needs to be spelled with the Latin alphabet, especially for those of us who are just starting out and still learning the Cyrillic alphabet. I want to be able to write the team name quickly and easily.

My vote would be for mrwarper's suggestion of Team Soyuz. (Mir would be an acceptable name but unfortunately the MIR space station burned up in the atmosphere in 2001 - I hope my language learning doesn't burn up too soon)

my 2 cents...

cheers
niels

ps. if we weren't looking at a space theme I would suggest Team Vodka...I started to look at learning the Cyrillic alphabet and feel like I might need to drink some vodka to understand it...lol

Edited by TheGreaterFool on 09 December 2012 at 11:52pm

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5562 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 83 of 586
10 December 2012 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
Personally I'd prefer to stick with the space theme for a few reasons:

Firstly, I agree with the criteria Solfrid Cristin's set out for the team name, which
were:

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
In my view we should look for a name that is
- short ( not much longer than Sputnik)
- energetic (cause that's what we are)
- easily identifiable as Russian also by non-students of Russian.
- lends itself to as much imagery as Sputnik (cosmonauts, reach for the stars etc. )

Also it's really important that the name means something to us as a team. Solfrid said
earlier on somewhere that she thinks the team name contributed to the success of Team
Sputnik in 2012, and for me personally the whole concept of Space and associating it
with Russian is a motivating factor all on its own. Of course I'm open to any
suggestions at all but my mind's inclining towards continuing the Space theme.

Secondly, I've sort of got used to the idea of the Russian Team's name having to do
with Space, and I am very much a creature of habit.

Space is something I've been interested in ever since I was given my first little book
on the planets at about seven years old, which of course at that time still included
Pluto.

Russia has been linked to Space for almost as long as my personal concept of Russia and
the Soviet Union has existed.

Next, as you will see below, I've always linked the Soviet Union, Russia and the
Russian language with a sense of achievement, and not just with a personal sense of
achievement but with the almost overwhelming array of achievement we have reached as a
species in Space. I remember how I amazed I was when it dawned on me that I could
actually read Cyrillic, for example.

When I first started getting into Russian, I took a piece of paper and collected all my
associations with Russia and the Soviet Union together in a spider diagram. It has
always stuck in my mind that the Soviet Space Programme was the second thing I wrote
down - the first one was "the Russian Revolution". Many of the things that we as a
species have achieved in Space were thanks to the Soviet Union. The ones I think of
are:

The first human in Space - Yuri Gargarin
The first animal in Space - A dog called "Laika" which means "Barker" - as in "one who
barks".
The first satellite, which I'm sure all the veteran members of the Russian Team know
was Sputnik-1.
I believe the Soviets also put the first woman into Space, whose name, I think, is
Valentina Tereshkova, or something similar, on one of the Vostok missions, although I
forget which one.

They were also responsible for the launch of the first space station which I believe
was called Salyut, launched in the early 1970s, and many other things but I don't want
this to become a Space essay.

Getting down to actual names, I like Gargarin, Mir and Pushkin as well as
Soyuz. I also like Matryoshka, suggested by TheGreaterFool. I think that
whatever we choose, it should be in the Latin alphabet though.

LanguageSponge / Jack

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6036 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 84 of 586
10 December 2012 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Привет!

It feels really great to start over on a new Russian team with the solid core of Sputnik as well as a lot of new
inspiring acquaintances. And I'm especially glad that Jack chose to join us this year.

I've just read your discussion above regarding the team name and it really makes my heart warm to see it returning
to the space theme. New year, new team, new name, yes it all makes sense but at the same time it's sad to have to
wave goodbye to Sputnik, which really turned out to be part of a tremendously well working concept. So I fully
support this idea so very well argued for by Jack and others.

I'm not sure which actual name of the suggestions made so far I like the best - and we might still come up with
something even better - but as long as it's a continuation of Sputnik I'm perfectly happy.

//aloysius

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4852 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 85 of 586
10 December 2012 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
By the way, during the last Sputnik session I suggested "Mir" as the name
for the new team. It's short, quintessentially Russian, and refers to the ISS.

It's amazing to hear that the word мир is quintessentially Russian.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5022 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 86 of 586
10 December 2012 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Привет, Марк!

I'm not sure 'quintessentially' is the perfect term for that but I don't think there's a single HTLALer that you would ask what language 'Mir' (just the sound) is in and wouldn't say 'Russian'. I'd even dare to expect the same outside HTLAL. Granted, it's just a feeling, but... :)

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4511 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 87 of 586
10 December 2012 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
I'm not sure 'quintessentially' is the perfect term for that but I don't think there's a single HTLALer that you would ask what language 'Mir' (just the sound) is in and wouldn't say 'Russian'. I'd even dare to expect the same outside HTLAL. Granted, it's just a feeling, but... :)

I totally agree!

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4852 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 88 of 586
10 December 2012 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Привет, Марк!

I'm not sure 'quintessentially' is the perfect term for that but I don't think there's a
single HTLALer that you would ask what language 'Mir' (just the sound) is in and wouldn't
say 'Russian'. I'd even dare to expect the same outside HTLAL. Granted, it's just a
feeling, but... :)

The word exists in other Slavic languages, in fact. I thought it was connected with the
fact that Russians value peace so much.

Edited by Марк on 10 December 2012 at 6:16pm

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version