forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 194 of 586
18 December 2012 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
ALL the links. ALL of them. I want them. Now. ;)
And I assume you want them for free, don't you? ;)
Quote:
(I wasn't talking to you specifically, mrwarper ;))
I wasn't so clear on that -- you said you had made an update with some of my links, so instead of having a look at your update I was like 'what did you do with the rest, dude?' ;)

Edit: I'll resend mine through the local PM service later to see if you can just copy and paste and make them clickable as well.

Edited by mrwarper on 18 December 2012 at 9:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 195 of 586
18 December 2012 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
I ate them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 196 of 586
18 December 2012 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
I ate them.

Not nice to make a middle aged woman like me quite literally roll on the floor laughing. My family thought I
was having an attack of some sort :-)

Otherwise I am still missing introductions in this thread, and I would recommend that you all start creating
your logs, or rename and make a "beginning of the year" introduction in your old ones.

Oh: And I am so pumped up today! I had a Russian class on Friday, and I decided to start tackling the
problem that I am virtually illiterate in Russian, by writing a few sentences. If we disregard the tinsy winsy little
detail that I could not spell simple words like есть or будет correctly, I was surprised that I somehow
managed to write something in Russian. So today I was writing a message to some Russian friends, one of
whom was excusing himself for not daring to speak English with me on the phone, and I suddenly decided to
write a few sentences in Russian, mostly to convince him that he need not worry.

So today, December 18th 2012, I wrote my first sentences in Russian. Were they understandable? I haven't
got the foggiest idea. But I managed to muster the courage to do it. A small step for most, a huge step for
me. And if my Russian friends and I are still friends tomorrow, I will count it as a success. :-)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5190 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 197 of 586
19 December 2012 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone. My name is Kerrie. I'm on the second team, but thought I'd drop in and introduce myself. I'm studying Spanish, French, Italian, Croatian, and Portuguese, and will be starting Russian.

I'll be starting from (pretty close to) scratch with Assimil in January. I took Russian 101 in college about 15 years ago, but I don't remember much. I've started Assimil a few times, but Russian was never a priority before. Now that my Spanish and French are more solid, I should be able to make a little bit of time for Russian every day.

I also plan to use the Michel Thomas course, and I have access to a host of other Russian resources, including Pimsleur, Modern Russian, and all the other resources available online. I think I have the Living Language Ultimate Russian book as well. I plan to start with Michel Thomas and Assimil, though, and go from there.

I don't anticipate having more than 30 minutes a day for Russian, but if I am consistent, I think I can at least get familiar with the language. I'm really excited, because I have always wanted to learn Russian. Even if it is mostly to read Tolstoy. :)

I don't really want to start a second team thread and then become the de facto leader. I'm already the leader on two teams, and I think that would be a bit much. :)

My log is here

Edited by Kerrie on 19 December 2012 at 2:09am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 198 of 586
19 December 2012 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
Welcome Kerrie! There is still a fair chance that you will be joined to our team , and in any event it is great to
have a close connection between teams, should the outcome be two separate teams. I am therefore very
happy to see your introduction, and convinced that you will bring as much enthusiasm to your Russian
studies as to the study of your other languages!

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5561 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 199 of 586
19 December 2012 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
Welcome Kerrie! As Cristina says above I think there's a reasonable chance that you will
join our ranks here at Team MIR when the Challenge officially begins, and even if you
don't and we remain separate, I think it's sensible that the two Russian teams maintain
close links. A little competition never hurt anyone. Good luck with your Russian. Also,
learning Russian to read Tolstoy is a great goal, but I think as you expand your horizons
a bit, you'll find stuff you like even more than his works. Russian literature really is
fantastic. I did several Russian literature modules at university so if you want any
recommendations, just let me know :)

Jack

Edited by LanguageSponge on 19 December 2012 at 8:07am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 200 of 586
19 December 2012 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday I suffered a big loss for this TAC. I let my external HDD fall down from above half a meter, and it broke. No recovery, it was replaced by a new one, but I lost all of my resources for Chinese and Russian, loads of textbooks, including some lesser known ones. 50 gb in total. I'm trying to recover what I can, but for a few I won't even remember they existed. As I may keep the 2013 log as Russian/Chinese, I will slowly take note of what I can recall. I have already written my study path a few pages ago.

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version