586 messages over 74 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 ... 73 74 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 169 of 586
17 December 2012 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
tarvos wrote:
We can always use Swan Lake as our motto.

I am not quite sure we have the same concept as to what a motto is :-)

No, but the Swan Lake is the best Tchaikovsky there is. :)

As for a motto: Все ясно как дважды два?
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 170 of 586
17 December 2012 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
For a motto, I've forgotten how it was in Russian but I remember how I ROFLed once over something that roughly translates to 'if you steal something, it better be worth a million; if you f*** someone, it better be the Queen'. I'll look it up :)

Edited by mrwarper on 17 December 2012 at 5:44pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 171 of 586
17 December 2012 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
tarvos wrote:
We can always use Swan Lake as our motto.

I am not quite sure we have the same concept as to what a motto is :-)

No, but the Swan Lake is the best Tchaikovsky there is. :)

Uh, are you sure? I think there are other works which are way better (5th symphony, violin concerto,...) Sorry to disagree, but as a musician I just had to comment on that... ;)

As we are already talking about crappy pictures and cheesy mottos, how about adopting the old anthemn of the USSR to our own purposes:

Сульфрид Кристина - сила народная, нас к торжеству Команды Мира ведёт!

But I guess this is just as politically incorrect as my suggestion for the team song of the Celtic Team -- and, by the way, not in the least democratic --, but it conveys the spirit of Total Annihilation quite well. ;)

Any serious suggestions? By the way, what was the motto of Team Sputnik anyway?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 172 of 586
17 December 2012 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
We didn't have a motto, and I'm a musician too; just an amateur musician. And I generally
could care less about classical music, exceptions being Tchaikovsky, Grieg, and anything
with a huge orchestral bent ;) (I hate Bach).

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 173 of 586
17 December 2012 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
(I hate Bach).

That's funny, because I'm listening to Bach's Christmas Oratorio in this very moment.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 174 of 586
17 December 2012 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
It's your good right to like Bach. I just don't think I ever will; I play the guitar,
but classical (and jazz) and most other "impressive" guitarists have never inspired me
one bit. Which is why I stopped participating in music forums - it seems that everyone
wanted to be the best or the most proficient, and I was just waiting to hear a good
song that I could enjoy. While they were busy figuring out mixylodian scales, and
playing Dsus43add89 chords, I just hoped between all of the madness and the 17/16
rhythms there would be a song. :)

If someone plays a four note blues riff or strings four chords together with capo on 3
and has a beautifully raw voice, then it's okay with me. It's either that, or you pull
out all the stops and just make the orchestra very very loud (aka Wagner).

Edited by tarvos on 17 December 2012 at 7:12pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 175 of 586
17 December 2012 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
No offense taken and no offense intended! Music is one of the things it's not really worth arguing about, as everyone has a different taste. But yeah, musicians can be very competitive and egocentric, so I can understand your decision completely. I once played in a university orchestra, which was HELL, because the conductor was an intolerable perfectionist. I nearly lost my joy of playing in search for perfect intonation! So, now I prefer good amateur ensembles who enjoy what they're doing and who support each other instead of criticizing each other. That's my philosophy in language learning, too: It has to be fun! Exaggerated perfectionism only kills the joy of doing something. I hope to find this spirit on this team as well.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 176 of 586
17 December 2012 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
I am extremely weary of discussions involving art because there are just too many asses without the least bit of talent trying to pass off as artists while shielding themselves and their 'art' behind 'the intrinsic subjectivity of art' and nonsense akin to that, and I always seem to bump into one or more.

That said, sure we all have different tastes so I agree that everyone has the right to have bad taste (I mean, their own). What's really grates me about political correctness is that it only helps those impostor types to flourish -- as long as we can support our opinions with arguments, why should we silence them? Just so some idiot does not feel exposed? So, please, please, don't be politically correct in front of me :)

BTW, Wagner has his good moments. The problem is, he also has his bad half hours ;)

Edit: @tarvos: sorry, forgot to wish you luck with your exams. Also, will you comment something more about molecular thermodynamics? I wouldn't really put it together with "dummy" in a sentence :)

Edited by mrwarper on 17 December 2012 at 8:09pm

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version