Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 129 of 586
13 December 2012 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
@tarvos: you are the kindest soul - and don' let anybody tell you differently :-)

@expugnator: I look forward to that!

I did however listen to a speech given in Brazilian Portuguese today by the Brazilian president, with Russian
interpretation on my headphones, and I realized that after three years of "studying" Russian, I understood
exactly as much Russian as Portuguese after zero hours of studying Portuguese.

I am so going back into depression.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 13 December 2012 at 12:16am

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 130 of 586
13 December 2012 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
I've added my log now for the TAC 2013 by way of introduction. :)

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4510 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 131 of 586
13 December 2012 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
That's not fair, Cristina. Your Spanish is wonderful, that's like understanding Russian after having learned Ukrainian for several years =)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 132 of 586
13 December 2012 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
Oh, and just for the record: I am in Brussels right now with only my iPad with me so I will not be able to add
any links to your logs until this week end.

I wanted to run an idea by you by the way. In our last Skype session, I raised the question of whether it would
be useful for us to have at least one common Russian course that we could use as reference point, and as
foundation for our common Skype sessions. Last year Tecktight was wonderful in writing down dialogues, but
that s cumbersome, and if we all had the same book it would be easier. Then the beginners could read from
the first lessons, the more advanced could read from the later lessons, and we would all have audio to help.

I suggested Assimil, but as we all know there are different versions of Assimil. However, it appeared that
most of us have the same version, even if it is based in different languages. Tarvos, could you quote the first
lesson, and possibly the first 4-5 titles of lessons so that everyone would know what to look for? Perhaps also
the edition number, title and year of issue for the English version which is the one most of us are likely to get
hold of?

Those who do not want to spend money on it could of course always borrow the book, but I suspect it would
be useful to have at least one common course, and since the year has not started yet, I assume that you
have the option of getting more study material open :-) .

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5561 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 133 of 586
13 December 2012 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the message about being on your Ipad - I nearly just sent you a load of links
by PM. I agree totally with the idea of having a common course. Having never been part of
such a large team before, not for something online anyway, I am not sure how well we'd be
able to function without having some material common to all of us. Obviously it can work
though or else Team Sputnik would not have been so successful in 2012.

Jack

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 134 of 586
13 December 2012 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
You first made me very happy, and then very depressed.

Very happy, because I thought - finally someone at my own level! A2 possibly leaning towards B1 that's where I am, everybody else seem to be either much more advanced, or beginners. And then very depressed, because I suddenly remembered that you are a lot more advanced than I am. So either you are a B1 or I am a A1. I so hope you are a B1.

Don't worry, Cristina, I am really bad at estimating my own level, so maybe I am already closer to B1 than I thought. I can't believe you're only an A1 as you have already had the experience of using your Russian "for real". I only write some paragraphs in my log now and then - sometimes heavily using the dictionary. I haven't watched any Russian movies yet and I have never spoken Russian to another person, so I don't know how well that would go. I think we can all help each other in our Russian journey, no matter what our level of proficiency is. So, don't be depressed - I'm sure your Russian is fine!

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5561 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 135 of 586
13 December 2012 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
Whatever our levels, whether we're reasonably advanced as my professors always told me I
should be, or whether we're just starting out, we'll all be able to help each other a
whole lot. We should all stop comparing our levels to each other and just enjoy it. I get
worried about how I'm going to sound in front of you all when I open my mouth. I'm
supposed to have a degree in Russian, and let me tell you, my Russian is no-where near
degree standard. But I don't care, because I know I'm going to get better, and I know you
guys won't care to judge :)

Jack

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6035 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 136 of 586
13 December 2012 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

I suggested Assimil, but as we all know there are different versions of Assimil. However, it appeared that
most of us have the same version, even if it is based in different languages. Tarvos, could you quote the first
lesson, and possibly the first 4-5 titles of lessons so that everyone would know what to look for? Perhaps also
the edition number, title and year of issue for the English version which is the one most of us are likely to get
hold of?

I would gladly use Assimil. I believe tarvos used
this
version

which exists in French, Italian, Spanish and English. It has 100 lessons. I don't own it but I would get it if we
decide to go with that one. I use the older one with 70 lessons which is still available in German.

The different editions are discussed
here
but there are better forum threads on the topic which I couldn't locate right now.

//aloysius

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version