United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5191 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 465 of 586
26 February 2013 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
I'm awake, and still studying (to some degree). I'm also dealing with a lot of family/job issues right now. 2013 has not been nice to me so far.
1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4511 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 466 of 586
26 February 2013 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
Sorry for being out for the last weeks guys, it's been crazier than usual. After finishing university, I moved back to São Paulo, then started doing job interviews and for the past 5 days I was in Bahia, well deserved vacations after my graduation =P

For those who never heard about Bahia, it's a state in the Northeast of Brazil. I went to it's capital, Salvador, and a beach nearby called Praia do Forte. You can see some pictures here!

I managed to do my French/Russian task before it, but I put it aside during the trip. Tomorrow I'll be back with it =)

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5022 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 467 of 586
26 February 2013 at 6:19am | IP Logged 
Just a quick note to comment on this

zecchino1991 wrote:
Josquin wrote:

It seems our team has hit its first motivational rock bottom anyway, because there aren't many updates at the moment. [...]

I think it might have something to do with the 6 week challenge. :)

That. In my case, I said that I prefer to do silent updates (no thread bump, no 'thread update' notifications) to reflect my study progress figures, and that I'll only write new posts to reply to people's comments or to try and provoke them whenever I want to discuss any side subject(s). No silent 'language studies' progress has actually taken place yet / so far anyway -- I'll go over some of my problems with that later, but I'm not demotivated at all, quite to the contrary.

to wish Cristina the inspiration to handle her family crisis in the quickest and safest possible way (we trust you'll do just fine! -- and of course the same goes to Kerrie and our other currently trouble-burdened teammates), and to comment on that caviar thing:

I missed last Sunday session because my friend Sasha and family moved to a new flat two weeks ago and I was paying them one first visit. He (who sold quite a lot of caviar during his grocer and deli owner period -- mostly to other Russian expats) showed me a vintage Soviet cooking book (from circa 1935) that encouraged people to stop eating beluga (which is apparently forbidden nowadays) AND discarding the caviar (which hints that was the usual practice), and use it as a tasty and very nutritious supplementary food source instead. Who knew? :)

Edited by mrwarper on 26 February 2013 at 6:26am

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4640 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 468 of 586
26 February 2013 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
Oh well, it seems like everybody has to deal more with life than with languages at the moment. I wish you all a lot of strength and luck to master your problems and I'm looking forward to seeing you here again as soon as possible!

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4127 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 469 of 586
26 February 2013 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone! It appears that February hasn't been too kind to people. I hope that you all get back to normal and get through your challenges as soon as possible.

If it's alright, I've got a few links I'd like to add, as I have found them quite useful. The links were all given to me by one of the Russian teachers at work.
http://starling.rinet.ru/cgi-bin/morphque.cgi It's a simple site, but highly useful. Simply enter a word, and it will give you all the declensions, with stress marks. If you enter a verb, it will give you all the possible forms, including participles. (Note: The word must be entered in Russian.)

http://5-tv.ru/ It's a site for news, so while it isn't ground-breaking, there is usually a transcript right beside/under the video, so you can read and listen at the same time. Since it's actual news, you do get to learn a bit about the goings-on in the world.

http://russianword.ru/ This one is a bit of a work in progress, but I like it. It has quite a bit of practice for cases and various grammar topics. Some parts of the site are under construction and don't work, but there is still a lot of useful stuff.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 470 of 586
26 February 2013 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
Sorry for being out for the last weeks guys, it's been crazier
than usual. After finishing university, I moved back to São Paulo, then started doing
job interviews and for the past 5 days I was in Bahia, well deserved vacations after my
graduation =P

For those who never heard about Bahia, it's a state in the Northeast of Brazil. I went
to it's capital, Salvador, and a beach nearby called Praia do Forte.
8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:pt-BR:official&client=firefox-a&um=1& ie=UTF-8&hl=pt-
BR&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=sQ0sUezdD4mI9QTS1YD4BQ& biw=1360&bih=638&sei=tg0sUf
WyKIz-8ASC5YD4Dg">You can see some pictures here!

I managed to do my French/Russian task before it, but I put it aside during the trip.
Tomorrow I'll be back with it =)

Я тебе завидую. У нас только холод на улице...

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 471 of 586
26 February 2013 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
Sorry for being out for the last weeks guys, it's been crazier than usual. After finishing university, I moved back to São Paulo, then started doing job interviews and for the past 5 days I was in Bahia, well deserved vacations after my graduation =P

Praia do Forte é fino, hein?! Acredita q eu não conheço? Tive lá em Salvador mês passado mas fui em praia na cidade mesmo, a mais longe foi em Lauro de Freitas. Tô precisando dar uma viajada pelo litoral norte da Bahia.

Sucesso pra vc na nova etapa da vida profissional!

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5476 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 472 of 586
27 February 2013 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Keep up the hard work guys! I've been pretty busy at work and so I haven't been updating
either.

There was a national holiday here in Moscow on Saturday. It's unofficially called 'Man's
day' in English, but everyone gives presents to the male adults in the family to
celebrate military veterans. It didn't use to be for all men, but since Russia has
national service they find themselves applicable. My boyfriend and I went to the only
place we've managed to find spicy food; the Chinese restaurant at Novoslobodskaya metro
station.

Chin up everyone! :D

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version