Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 225 of 586
29 December 2012 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

CRISTINA'S 1ST RUSSIAN DISCOVERY OF THE DAY : What to do with the feminine men...

For some reason I could never remember what to do with the Russian words which are
feminine words, but designate men. Which I by the way find puzzling, that such a
masculine language as Russian should have several men in feminine, but since in my
native language both woman and girl are masculine words (kvinnen, piken), and that they
in German are neutral words,(das Weib, das Mädchen) I guess I should not be surprised.

Anyway, I am talking about words like мужчина (man), пaпa (daddy), дядя (uncle),
дедушка (grandfather) and Hикита (the male name Nikita). I remembered that one thing
was in feminine and one is masculine but was the adjectives in masculine and the nouns
in feminine or the other way round? - I could not remember. So I decided it was time to
find out properly.

So the rule is quite simple - the noun which has the feminine form stays feminine, but
in order not to castrate the poor guys totally, the adjectives and pronouns are made
masculine.

зто мой дедушка (This is my grandfather) My in masculine form, grandfather in feminine
form.

зто мaшинa моего дедушки (This car is my grandfather's) The expression "my
grandfather's" is in genitive, and the noun follows the feminine form and the pronoun
the masculine form).

See: Piece of cake :-)

I'll vote for this message, I really liked your idea.
In fact, those words are not feminine, they are masculine nouns of the first
declension. There is nothing unusual in it, it exists in other Indo-European languages:
compare with Latin nauta, incola, agricola, Catilina. I think the same was true for the
Proto-Germanic language as well. There are 10 words on (is it the correct preposition?)
мя: время, имя, пламя и т. д. They are neutre but ressemble the third declension. The
word путь is masculine but is declined like a third declension word in the standart
language. There were much more words like that in the Old Russian: день, голубь and
others. But then they bacame second declension nouns due to their gender. Several words
changed their gender to the feminine one in order to stay (or to remain?) in the third
declension: печать, степень.
So, you confused genders and declensions. The fact that Russian is a masculine
language is a discovery too. Could you give some arguments for that?
The word папа means just father in most cases, as well as мама means mother.

Edited by Марк on 29 December 2012 at 7:34pm

1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 226 of 586
30 December 2012 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
Hi buddies,

this should be a clickable version of my links:
Self-study guide to learning Russian online: Russian for everyone
An interactive online Russian grammar
MasterRussian: Forum + course
Russian Lessons
Philosophical disquisitions (Russkaja latinica: A proposal for Russian
transliteration)

+Русские книги
-Text, FB2 and others:
*Флибуста | Книжное братство
*Либрусек | Много книг
*Lib.Ru: Библиотека Максима Мошкова
*Lib.ru: "Классика"
-Аудиокниги
*аудиокниги скачать бесплатно - аудио книги
*Аудиокниги
*Книги скачать бесплатно. Библиотека - бесплатные аудиокниги онлайн
*Index of ;)
*Index of ;)
*Скачать аудиокниги бесплатно на mp3 | Бесплатные аудиокниги Акунин, Белянин, Кинг, Зеланд, Стругацкие, Гарри Поттер и Война миров
-Assorted audioknigi links:
*Friends-Forum.Com » АУДИО-КНИГИ » Infanata - Лучшие книги Интернета
*LibriVox: Search Results
*Priviet.com - Russian audio book(s)
*Russian Language » Ska4ka - аудиокниги на иностранных языках, аудиокниги для изучения иностранных языков

@tarvos, you lazy bum -- please, update your post with these ;)

I know I should have sent you the links by PM but this isn't working great lately...

Happy new year to all, just a quick note to update the links and tell you that I'm not dead -- I'm still subscribing to (and reading!) everybody's logs. *Pant*

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 227 of 586
30 December 2012 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
@Mark: Thank you so much. I knew you would set me straight if I had misunderstood anything, and thank
you for doing it in such a kind way.

You are of course absolutely right: The nouns are still masculine, even though they look like a feminine word,
and follow the feminine pattern. The good thing about making that mistake, is that now I am unlikely to ever
forget that one, as will probably no one else on the team.

When you say that   Папа just means father, does that mean that it is just as formal as отец ? You see we
have the word pappa in Norwegian as well, but by adults it is used only when you speak directly to that
person. If you talk about someone only children would use pappa, adults would use far (father). It
corresponds to daddy/father in English which in my head has two different levels of formality. Is that then not
the case in Russian?

As for the masculinity of Russian I am afraid I have only my gut feeling and impression of the language. :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 30 December 2012 at 11:46am

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 228 of 586
30 December 2012 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

When you say that   Папа just means father, does that mean that is is just as formal
as.отец ? You see we
have the word pappa in Norwegian as well, but by adults it is used only when you speak
directly to that
person. If you talk about someone only children would use pappa, adults would use far
(father). It
corresponds to daddy/father in English which in my head has two different levels of
formality. Is that then not
the case in Russian?

As for the masculinity of Russian I am afraid I have only my gut feeling and
impression of the language. :-)

The words отец and мать are very formal. In everyday speech we say папа and мама. It is
used by children and adults referring to anyone's father and mother. So, it's not like
in English or Norwegian.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 229 of 586
30 December 2012 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

When you say that   Папа just means father, does that mean that is is just as formal
as.отец ? You see we
have the word pappa in Norwegian as well, but by adults it is used only when you speak
directly to that
person. If you talk about someone only children would use pappa, adults would use far
(father). It
corresponds to daddy/father in English which in my head has two different levels of
formality. Is that then not
the case in Russian?

As for the masculinity of Russian I am afraid I have only my gut feeling and
impression of the language. :-)

The words отец and мать are very formal. In everyday speech we say папа and мама. It is
used by children and adults referring to anyone's father and mother. So, it's not like
in English or Norwegian.

Ok. So you still have two different levels of formality, but in Russian the most formal word kicks in much later.
Could you give us an example of when the formal words would be used? For instance if I was writing a text
about a famous politician or writer and I wanted to speak about his father, would I then use the formal word?

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 230 of 586
30 December 2012 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Ok. So you still have two different levels of formality, but in Russian the most formal
word kicks in much later.
Could you give us an example of when the formal words would be used? For instance if I
was writing a text about a famous politician or writer and I wanted to speak about his
father, would I then use the formal word?

Yes, you would. Or in documents we always write отец и мать.

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6035 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 231 of 586
31 December 2012 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
A Happy New Language Learning Year to all members of team Mir!

It's really wonderful that so many kosmonauts from Team Sputnik have reassembled here and it's also quite exciting
to see them joined by a whole bunch of enthusiastic new members.

My history with Russian goes a few years back now but progress has been very slow, mainly because of irregular
study habits. Russian is demanding and time-consuming if you're mostly used to studying Germanic and Romance
languages but I've never thought of it as boring and I've never lost my fascination for it. I'm not sure how to estimate
my current level. I finally made it through the passive phase of Russish ohne Mühe six months ago, but I've
forgotten a lot since then and need to go through it again. And my active skills are practically non-existent. My
priority for this TAC, however, is to start reading native texts. This is a daunting task, but I will combine different
approaches such as Listening-Reading with intensive and extensive reading. And although the number of unknown
words on an average Russian book page may inspire feelings of hopelessness I mustn't forget that I've made it over
other thresholds in the past. Such as being at all able to read along in the Cyrillic script while listening to the audio.
Or even making use of a parallel text because I didn't know enough of Russian morphology to connect the words
without a dictionary.

Will I finally be visiting Russia in 2013? It would certainly be an interesting experience and a great motivator for
learning the language. I have no concrete plans yet but a long week-end in S:t Petersburg or Moscow should
certainly be possible – after all the distance from Stockholm is shorter to Moscow than what it is to London! And
hopefully I could make a longer stay some time in 2014.

Here's my new log.

//aloysius

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 232 of 586
31 December 2012 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
Great to see you again, double team mate aloysius! I look forward to fighting both the Russian and the Greek monster at your side, and come out victorious at the end of the year!

And perhaps we should make a long week-end in St. Petersburg or Moscow in 2013 a team goal? Would that be cool or what!

I have added your log on the first page, so now there is just 6 to go - if anyone has made a log and forgotten to tell me, or I have failed to notice, then let me know at once!

And a Happy New Year to you all! In exactly 20 minutes, it is one year since we had our first Skype session, and I look forward to starting up on team Mir.

GO TEAM MIR!!!!

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version