forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 201 of 586
19 December 2012 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
Hi guys.

This is a triple, cross-team post. I've finally sat to write a bit about me and about my languages at my TAC'13 log so you all can get to know (all who don't, that is) a bit more about me, and thus have an idea of what to expect -- maybe even drop by and comment.

Over the next couple of days I'll try to hunt down all your individual logs or posts about yourselves so we're even ;)

May I recommend that those of you who have written self-introductions in the middle of team threads paste them at the beginning of their individual logs so they're easier to locate, especially for those who, like me, belong to more than one team.
1 person has voted this message useful

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5475 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 202 of 586
22 December 2012 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
Hi everyone. My name is Kerrie. I'm on the second team, but thought I'd drop in and introduce myself. I'm studying Spanish, French, Italian, Croatian, and Portuguese, and will be starting Russian.

I'll be starting from (pretty close to) scratch with Assimil in January. I took Russian 101 in college about 15 years ago, but I don't remember much. I've started Assimil a few times, but Russian was never a priority before. Now that my Spanish and French are more solid, I should be able to make a little bit of time for Russian every day.

I also plan to use the Michel Thomas course, and I have access to a host of other Russian resources, including Pimsleur, Modern Russian, and all the other resources available online. I think I have the Living Language Ultimate Russian book as well. I plan to start with Michel Thomas and Assimil, though, and go from there.

I don't anticipate having more than 30 minutes a day for Russian, but if I am consistent, I think I can at least get familiar with the language. I'm really excited, because I have always wanted to learn Russian. Even if it is mostly to read Tolstoy. :)

I don't really want to start a second team thread and then become the de facto leader. I'm already the leader on two teams, and I think that would be a bit much. :)

My log is here

Hey Kerrie, the Russian team #2 thread has been started up now :D Let me know how you get on with Pimsleur and Michel Thomas. I found Pimsleur really dificult and stopped using it after one lesson, but Michel Thomas has been really helpful, if a little slow. I'll add the link to your log in the first post of the sister thread.

Speaking of which, some of have said 'hi' already on our thread, so hello to you all! I've not had chance to read through this thread very thoroughly but it's nice to meet you all! Also, at the current rate, it looks as if we may all be the on the same team after all!

Good luck!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 203 of 586
22 December 2012 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
Toffeeliz wrote:
. I found Pimsleur really dificult and stopped using it after one lesson, but Michel
Thomas has been really helpful, if a little slow. I'll add the link to your log in the first post of the sister thread.

Speaking of which, some of have said 'hi' already on our thread, so hello to you all! I've not had chance to
read through this thread very thoroughly but it's nice to meet you all! Also, at the current rate, it looks as if we
may all be the on the same team after all!

Good luck!

I found the first couple of lessons of Pimsleur very difficult too, but now I think they are almost painfully slow
and simple. Trust me on this, you will get to that point too. Just keep in mind that Russian is a language you
need to spend time on, particularly if you are learning it on your own. Just do not give up! Think of yourself as
a very determined terrier and Russian a really nice bone that you do not want to give up, and hang on for
dear life. The more you struggle, the sweeter is the reward.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 204 of 586
23 December 2012 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Yesterday I suffered a big loss for this TAC. I let my external HDD fall down from above half a meter, and it broke. No recovery, it was replaced by a new one, but I lost all of my resources for Chinese and Russian, loads of textbooks, including some lesser known ones. 50 gb in total. I'm trying to recover what I can, but for a few I won't even remember they existed. As I may keep the 2013 log as Russian/Chinese, I will slowly take note of what I can recall. I have already written my study path a few pages ago.

Sorry to hear about your hard disk taking a dive for the worse. I remember the shock when my previous laptop suddenly died along with several years of photos, music, and languages resources (and no backup!). Don't let it get you down though, you'll soon start collecting plenty more resources again, and sometimes things like this can help us clear up our closet and walk down new avenues.

Edited by Teango on 23 December 2012 at 6:43am

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
xuexisprachen.wordprRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4151 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 205 of 586
23 December 2012 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
I had a different problem just in time for the upcoming new year... I tried to change my
account email and now can't post anything on that account. -_- I guess it's okay because
I get to start fresh though, so I'll stick with this one (besides, I kind of like the
name better) :). My name was Luna Moonsilver, so if someone could change it on the list,
that would be great.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 206 of 586
23 December 2012 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Silbermond wrote:
I had a different problem just in time for the upcoming new year... I tried to change my
account email and now can't post anything on that account. -_- I guess it's okay because
I get to start fresh though, so I'll stick with this one (besides, I kind of like the
name better) :). My name was Luna Moonsilver, so if someone could change it on the list,
that would be great.

I have changed it on page 1, and I would like to take the opportunity to remind you and everyone else who has not gotten so far yet, that it is time to start your logs and insert a link to them here.

Do not forget to visit the logs of your team mates and post some encouraging words either, The strength of team MIR will lie in our capacity to give each other support and advice :-)

I am also open for more suggestions as to team song and picture. So far we have as team song nominations for the Soviet National hymn if I remember correctly (from Josquin), and the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy from the Nutcracker(from me).

And a nomination for team joke/motto something about stealing millions and fuxxx queens, (Suggestion of mrwarper) , but I would definitely be open for suggestions for more conventional mottos:-) For team picture - no nominees. So get those creative juices flowing, and start nominating songs, mottos and beautiful pictures. Think Siberian Forests, The Vasiliev Cathedral, Russian folklore, Laike Bakal - any suggestions that come to mind.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 23 December 2012 at 6:56pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 207 of 586
23 December 2012 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Yes, the Soviet national anthem is a good song.

Bbcatcher 08
Diglot
United States
Joined 4213 days ago

130 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Hungarian

Message 208 of 586
23 December 2012 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
I went to the store today, where I ran into a Russian friend. I have not seen her since
before I started to learn Russian. I spoke to her in Russian, even though it was very
short, it was nice to hear that my pronunciation was good. Just thought I'd let my team
know! :)

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version