forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 329 of 586
09 January 2013 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
[...] For me, both hard and soft л and ш and щ are nearly impossible to distinguish. I think I'm getting to a point where I can make a distinction between ш and щ, but л and ль? Forget it! [...]

In one of the links that tarvos will fix or re-paste at the beginning of the team thread some day, you can get to this page with diagrams and descriptions of Russian letters pronunciation (a resource I mention and link to all the time). With that and Mark's advice about л (avoid the teeth/alveoli!) I've come a long way with both of those pairs. Sure, I'm still in doubt when I hear them and I'm no pronunciation master but that's because I get very little practice. However, the difference becomes obvious after a few tries.

Edited by mrwarper on 09 January 2013 at 1:47am

1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 330 of 586
09 January 2013 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
but I think you shouldn't argue with a native speaker about his
language. Although Mark can be very critical, I always found his suggestions very
useful, and learning a language well doesn't mean sounding "bookish". We already had
this discussion in the "Should one learn slang" thread. Of course one should know
colloquial language, but you should also know when it's called for.

Other than that, I agree with Cristina that this isn't Team Война...

EDIT: For me, both hard and soft л and ш and щ are nearly impossible to distinguish. I
think I'm getting to a point where I can make a distinction between ш and щ, but л and
ль? Forget it! The worst word I can think of is большой. I never get the combination of
soft л and hard ш right. If the Russians let me decide, that word would be called
болщой...

Thank you for your support. The fact that I'm a native Russian speaker doesn't mean
that I know everything about the Russian language and am always right about it.
The soft L is almost like the German L, so you have to pay attention only to the hard
one. German sch is also rather hard (a textbook of German says it is always hard, and
the l is always soft). Болщой is as inconvinient as большой. It would be better болшой
or больщой. I don't know why vut you softened your ш, ж at the beginning.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 331 of 586
09 January 2013 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
Captain of Mir calling out for pilot and crew: Are we ready for a Skype session on this Sunday evening at 8
Norwegian time? Tarvos - could you take charge? Now I know some of you are nervous to do this, and we
will not have room for everybody at the same time anyhow - I think the maximum is 10 at the time. I therefore
suggest that those of you who feel ready for it and who have or can create a Skype account signal their
readiness by saying so, and listing here what their Skype name is so that we can all add each other well
ahead of Sunday, and then the rest can come when they are ready. I think we had 2-3 sessions before we
did much more than introduce ourselves and have a general chat on team Sputnik, but if you feel like starting
doing some Russian right away, we can of course do that. Another thing which we did, and which we may
want to do on team Mir too, is to speak some of our other languages.

So who are in?

We must expect that one or two either forget about it or have technical difficulties, so I think we could try to
make room for as many as 12, in the worst case scenario two might have to wait for next session. I do
however never think we reached 10 in any of our team Sputnik sessions, so I doubt it will be a problem.

And for the record: I'm in :-)

My Skype name is Solfridcristin. I think.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 09 January 2013 at 4:42pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 332 of 586
09 January 2013 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Hi, I'm in for a Skype session. My Skype name is discantor.

Looking forward to talk to all of you! "Skype me maybe..." ;)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 333 of 586
09 January 2013 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Ok, but I do have an ethics exam to pass, so don't expect the conversation to last for 3
hours :)

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6035 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 334 of 586
09 January 2013 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
I have an exam to pass too :) But I will try to join you. Just must remember to install Skype on my Mac. I'm ljonask1
by the way.

//aloysius

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4510 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 335 of 586
09 January 2013 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
I'm in guys! =) My skype name is facarraro

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 09 January 2013 at 8:07pm

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5561 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 336 of 586
09 January 2013 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
8 pm Norwegian time is... gasp, okay, I'm in :) I'll take an early (or late) night.

I am not sure whether it matters but Cristina's Skype name is all in lower case, so it's solfridcristin

Mine is jack_boni and to reiterate, I'm in for Sunday's (or in my case, Monday morning's) chat. Looking forward to it :)

Jack

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version