Triglot
Italy
Joined 5143 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 553 of 586
15 August 2013 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations Cristina! I’m so happy for you!

You’re making Team MIR proud with your achievement.

And yes, I believe a lot of people often don’t realize what kind of language proficiency a genuine A2 level actually means. In a hurry, one may be able to rush through a book or two at that level in a few weeks, but to really internalize and master the language well enough to pass an exam takes months (even years) of hard work. I think a lot of learners mistake having seen a word or a grammar structure and understanding it (passive skills) with being able to use it in context (active skills) but as anyone who’s been studying languages seriously for years you know how difficult that passage actually is.

That’s why a month or so ago, when I took stock of my TAC 2013 so far, I realized that I would not be able to achieve my initial goal of A2 in Russian by the end of the year. I’m not too worried about that: as long as I keep studying and enjoying it, sooner or later I will achieve it.

Congratulations again, Cristina: your hard work finally paid off—you deserve it!

1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5022 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 554 of 586
16 August 2013 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
Well, all is said and done, so what can I add... Поздравляю, Кристина!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 555 of 586
10 October 2013 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
Ok guys, Summer holiday is over (Autumn holiday is actually also over here in Norway), so it is time to get back into the team spirit, so I am calling on all active members of the team to report inn to your captain!

- What have you accomplished over the last few months?
- What are you working on right now?
- What is your goal for the next week?
- What will you focus on for the next three months?

I know that the TAC-teams have traditionally fizzled into next to no activity in the last part of the challenge, but since half the team (me included) have been missing in action for parts of the year (not unlike the other teams, curiously enough) I think we should reset our goals, and focus less on how little some of us have done and more on how much we can acheive in almost three full glorious months that we have left. Kudos to those who have gone on whith dogged determination on their own(particularly tarvos, Josquin and Fabriciocarraro) and held the colours of team MIR high, but it is now time to pull together as a team, shoulder to shoulder, sweat drop by sweat drop, and make a brilliant success of 2013!

GO TEAM MIR!!!!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 10 October 2013 at 12:42pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 556 of 586
10 October 2013 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 

I've accomplished a complete journey through Russia, done a whole lot of communicating
in a wide variety of languages, and used about 6 languages every day. I've improved
most of my languages to some degree, although less than I would like to... due to other
stuff. But in terms of Russian I have substantially improved my Russian over the
summer.

In-depth analysis of French materials related to my studies and beginning Korean. Some
maintenance of Romanian, but very sporadically.

I have a Korean class coming up. I want to prepare some phrases for that.

Korean. Mostly my thesis. I will be communicating socially in other languages but not
really studying any of them. I have other obligations.

Edited by tarvos on 10 October 2013 at 1:22pm

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4511 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 557 of 586
10 October 2013 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 

I've improved my French A LOT, by finishing the Assimil book. Got back on track with Dutch, maintained my Russian (not enough though, I wanna do more with it) by practicing with natives at least twice a month, and last this month I started the #add1challenge with Egyptian Arabic.

Right now, focusing mostly on Egyptian Arabic, and trying to read/write in French, Russian and Dutch a little.

I'll try and make another video in Arabic showing my progress.

Again, mostly Arabic until December 31st. After that, I'll go back to focusing on Dutch, and maybe start with "Assimil - Using French".

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4640 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 558 of 586
10 October 2013 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 

I have finished two textbooks for Irish and Scottish Gaelic, started learning Japanese, and kept up my Russian. I have also dabbled in Welsh and Mandarin.

Actually, I'm quite busy researching my dissertation right now, so there's not much room left for languages.

Fit in some Russian or Japanese when I have the time for it.

I can hardly make any concrete statements about the next three months, but I'd like to improve my Russian and my Japanese and maybe keep dabbling in Mandarin.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5143 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 559 of 586
10 October 2013 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
I’m progressing incredibly slowly with Russian, maybe because I’m kind of perennially scared that my bases aren’t strong enough to move ahead or maybe simply because I’m not spending enough time with the language to see clear and evident improvements. I suppose that you pay the insufficient intensity of study in a difficult language like Russian much more dearly than in more familiar languages (i.e. if I were studying Spanish, I would be seeing better results for the same amount of time and effort).

My next step is to get a better and more thorough foundation in Russian phonology: I don’t normally overemphasise the study of phonology when I learn a language, aiming to acquire it progressively and organically as I improve all the other linguistic skills, but it seems that with Russian it’s not the best of methods. Not having really internalized the difference between soft and hard sounds, for instance, is making it harder to progress in all aspects of the language, so that’s clearly an area that I need to work on.

As I said in a previous post, I’m not going to reach the CEFR A2 level in 2013 as I was hoping for at the beginning of the year, but that’s not something that worries me particularly. I’m much more interested in focussing on the small achievements I’ve obtained so far. A tiny one as an example: a few weeks ago, while channel surfing in the middle of the night I happened by chance on a channel which was broadcasting a Russian film in the original with Italian subtitles. Before I had time to realize it, I had heard and actually understood a short exchange between the characters (who would soon go on with a totally incomprehensible dialogue). I know it was just a fluke that those couple of sentences were exactly something that I had already learnt, but you can imagine what a moral boost that was!

As for my other languages, I’m still struggling with the German mini-SuperChallenge (but I’ve not lost all hope) and spending a lot of time with Swedish media. And I’m trying to fend off wanderlust: Mandarin and Japanese are looking so attractive right now.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 560 of 586
10 October 2013 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
I've finished 3 Assimil books for Russian in a row, and they didn't help much. Then I
started a traditional textbook in Portuguese and things started to make sense. I'm
about to finish it, which means I've taken over 300 Russian lessons, and I feel more
confident about reaching my overall goal of being able to read bilingual texts in
Russian in a comfortable and productive way.

I'm still working on Nina Potapova's Breve Manual da Língua Russa, but also with
Russian podcasts which are helping a lot as I get sample colloquial sentences.

Reaching lesson 70 of my textbook.

Continuing with the textbooks and trying to start some bilingual reading.

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version