United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5191 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 561 of 586
11 October 2013 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
- What have you accomplished over the last few months?
I have been working diligently at finishing my Spanish Super Challenge. I am about 1000 pages (10 "books") away from finishing.

- What are you working on right now?
I unexpectedly started studying Japanese (for the +1 Challenge)a few weeks ago, so I am working on the Michel Thomas course for Japanese. I also decided to do the French (as a review) and the German courses as well. I am also reading two books in Spanish, and when I am done with both of them, I should be done - or close to done - with the Spanish Super Challenge. Yay me! :D

- What is your goal for the next week?
Continue with the Spanish, French, German, and Japanese I am working on.

- What will you focus on for the next three months?
Once I finish with the Michel Thomas for Japanese, I am thinking I will do the Michel Thomas course for Russian. I've kind of proven to myself that with 2-3 tracks a day (a CD a week), I can make the time.

This Japanese thing was supposed to be an experiment to give me a taste of the language and to see if I really want to learn it (or if it's just a romantic fantasy LOL). I'm through 5 of 12 discs, and I am really enjoying it, so maybe I will stick with it.

My focus for the rest of the year is definitely finishing the Spanish Super Challenge, but maybe I will find time to do the MT Russian course as well. Heck, if I can do it for Japanese, I can do it for Russian. :D

Edited by Kerrie on 11 October 2013 at 1:30am

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 562 of 586
12 October 2013 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
While we're at it, I'd be glad to see some fellow members comment on the learning strategies and problems I've described at
my Russian log =D

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 563 of 586
27 October 2013 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
Guys, I still miss feed back from a lot of you :-)

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4640 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 564 of 586
06 December 2013 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Здравствуйте, космонавты!

The end is near! This team hasn't been the most active for the second half of 2013, but let's get ourselves together and prepare for the final spurt of this year's TAC!

I'm mostly reading in Russian right now, changing between advanced textbooks, bilingual readers, and annotated versions of Russian classics. What have you been up to lately?

It would be great, if we could finish this year successfully. Maybe everyone could report about their success in Russian in 2013 and their resolutions for 2014? If you dare, you may even do it in Russian! ;)

Who will be on the next Russian team? I hope to see lots of you again, because I definitely want to go on and improve my Russian in 2014.

Come on, let's show the world what Team MIR can do!

Комманда МИР вперёд!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 565 of 586
06 December 2013 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
I speak Russian every day. I can do most things and express myself, it's a little clumsy
with more complicated constructions but moooooore than good enough to converse.

My goal in 2014 is to maintain that level for the time being, which should be easy since
I'm not short on practice.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 566 of 586
06 December 2013 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
I start with not so encouraging results, but so is life.

Russian is somewhat of a lower priority compared to my other languages: Norwegian,
Chinese and Georgian. I had moments at which I studied about 30 minutes a day and since
last month I've started to study only 15 minutes a day, that is, one lesson from Living
Language (no exercises).

I've been through the whole 3 Assimils but retained very little. I'm still at an
average A2 with sparse reading comprehension into B1. Things only got off from a total
disaster thanks to a textbook I found in Portuguese. Even so, my active skills are
totally absent, but then I had this coming, I'm still not a stage at which it is worth
contacting the multitude of Russian penpals.

I still retain the goal of being able to read textbooks for other languages in Russian.
Next year I want to start bilingual reading, L/R but I don't see myself dedicating more
time to Russian than what I did, also because I have other languages in mind. SO, for
me to start native materials for Russian, all textbooks would have to become easy =D

It doesn't help the fact that I like other Slavic languages better, but I still see
Russian as a necessity for a polyglot, so, be sure to see me around another year! I've
met good people thanks to this team and I hope we can keep helping each other. I just
don't know how things will sort themselves out, because I'm still A2, members which
also belonged to the previous team are more advanced and newbies may show up as well.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 567 of 586
08 December 2013 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
@Josquin: Great initiative! I have not reached all my Russian goals, mostly due to an overdoses of real life
complications this year, but I have still seen considerable improvement.

This is the year when I have finally started to speak some Russian. I still start sweating at my palms when I
have to speak with real live unknown Russians, but at least I can manage to carry a conversation with my
teachers.

I also passed my A2 exam, which was nice, because now I have something to show for my efforts. Also my
boss was very impressed.

My goal for 2014 would be a B1, though having seen the demands to a B1 I should perhaps just aim for a
high A2. :-)

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5143 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 568 of 586
08 December 2013 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
I must admit that Russian defeated me this year. Back in January I didn’t set my goals too high: I said that reaching A2 by the end of the year would have been more than great for me. And even with such a modest goal I still couldn’t make it.

The truth is that Russian is the first really demanding language (for an English- and German-speaking Italian native) that I’ve tried to learn on my own and I probably didn’t put enough effort and time into it. If you can make visible progress in a language like Swedish and still keep it as a hobby, with Russian you need to work as hard as you did back at university and that’s something that I find very difficult to reconcile with my lifestyle nowadays.

But enough with making excuses: I tried and failed this year, even though it wasn’t a complete waste of time. Just yesterday I was watching an interview with a Russian theatre director and I noticed that I could understand some words and a handful of sentences (of course for much of the interview I had to rely on the subtitles to understand what he was saying). So, I did learn a little Russian, but much less and a lot more slowly than I had in mind when I joined the TAC.

Now I must decide what to do next year, especially since the signing up for TAC2014 is already going on. On the one hand I don’t want to give up Russian altogether, but on the other hand I’m not sure whether I really want to keep it as a focus language.

Whatever I decide to do, I just wanted to thank everyone here for a really great year: I’m very happy I got to know you guys and I’m very proud I was part of this team with you.

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version