justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5191 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 97 of 586
11 December 2012 at 4:43am | IP Logged 

I'm so mad I don't check the forum more often. Too late. Oops. :(

I'll be adding Russian at the beginning of the year (and will probably join the other Russian team, if there is one). I'll be stalking all you guys, though. :)

Good luck with all your studies!
1 person has voted this message useful

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5562 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 98 of 586
11 December 2012 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

I'll be adding Russian at the beginning of the year (and will probably join the other
Russian team, if there is one). I'll be stalking all you guys, though. :)

Hi Kerrie,

Thanks for the good luck wishes and it's good to know someone will be glancing at my
log other than me! I imagine there will be another Russian team as Russian seems to be
massively popular yet again this year, but if there isn't, I think the remaining
Russian enthusiasts who want to be part of a team will probably join Team Mir as late
arrivals. If that is indeed the case then we will be glad to have you on board.

LanguageSponge

PS - To my ear, Команда Мир (Komanda Mir) sounds pretty good for when we write it in
Russian :)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 99 of 586
11 December 2012 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

I'll be adding Russian at the beginning of the year (and will probably join the other Russian team, if there is
one). I'll be stalking all you guys, though. :)

We would love to have you! And as LanguageSponge says, unless there are more then 5 more who want to
study Russian you will!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 100 of 586
11 December 2012 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
As for the round of introductions,

My name is Jorn, I am a 23-year-old somebody from the Netherlands who is a student of
science communications (which is like Bill Nye the Science Guy, only for adults) and I
do this language thing here as a hobby. I grew up mostly in the Netherlands, but spent
some time in Calgary, Canada as a young boy where I picked up the basics of English,
and I have never forgotten them since - so from the age of 5 I could read both Dutch
and English and I have never forgotten my English since (I am practically bilingual).

I spoke Dutch at home, but I went to a bilingual school that did immersion in English
and I thus developed my ability to speak English properly as a teenager. At school, I
also studied French first, then German and Latin a year later. I have forgotten most of
my Latin but I can still use my school German quite well. My French became somewhat
more rusty.

After having found a girl and having the need to travel back and forth to Brussels,
Belgium often, I found that I started to have a need for French. I never formally
learned any French and I did not speak English with the girl, but I did pick up French.
After temporarily relocating to Brussels for two months and living with French people I
made strides in my French.

I then moved back to the Netherlands and decided on a whim to teach myself Russian.
Russian has been my main focus language ever since. I can currently speak Russian
converssationally to a degree, but I still have trouble with complex vocabulary - I am
trying to fill the holes in my advanced Russian and also my listening ability in
Russian which is not too great. I currently have finished all the beginner's courses
and it's not the grammar which is making me feel inadequate, but the lack of advanced
vocabulary. I, however, can do personal correspondence in Russian (especially in
writing) and I understand colloquial Russian all right. I would estimate myself as a B1
in this language (I can get my point across, but I still have to search for expressions
and my listening is awful).

I also decided to take courses at the AF to finally get rid of all the gaping holes in
my French grammar (I could speak French, but it was a grammatical nightmare) and since
then I have been cleaning up my French and I certainly speak a whole lot better French
now. I still have to focus to catch up on other people's conversations if I'm not
speaking French, but I can pretty much speak French off-the-cuff now and do it with
only very minor errors and a good deal of confidence. According to the AF I am a B1,
but I think that I am breezing through the B1 material way too comfortably and that I
am probably more of a low B2.

Over the summer I thought I would try out an FSI course. The closest useful target
language I could find was Swedish, and I have fallen in love with it since. We are six
months to the day now and I can speak Swedish. Perhaps not like a native, but I can
speak good improvised Swedish with a few minor errors. Also somewhere in the B range (I
can read popular novels as well without too much difficulty).

The last thing I have tried to do is the Assimil Experiment in a little-known Celtic
language called Breton. I wanted to pick a language nobody else had and also something
that I had materials for already. I am now trying to learn Breton to intermediate
level, but one of the problems with this type of language is that it is endangered and
thus speakers are scarce.

My focus languages for 2013 are Russian and Breton; I hope to travel in Russia during
the summer and upgrade my Russian to fluent status. I also hope that through my
involvement in the Celtic team I will get to intermediate level in Breton, which will
allow me to start the next language in 2013 (All signs currently point to Hebrew, but
I've been saying that for months so do not be surprised if it's Tagalog, Farsi,
Swahili, Greek, or Mandarin instead...or even simply Portuguese or Spanish).

C'est tout.

Jorn

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6416 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 101 of 586
11 December 2012 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
Here I am catching up on the Russian team log before I even read my own team's. I miss you guys already, but I don't think I can manage Russian this year so this year I guess I'll be a groupie rather than a team member.

About our Japanese team name: You might be right about using the Latin alphabet being better. We really haven't been very creative either. Our names the past three years have followed the Japanese alphabet (or syllabary if you want to get technical), the first five letters of which are: A I U E O. We are now up to U. I will suggest to the other team members that we find a more creative name. We've been very boring. It's almost a little embarrassing.

As for MIR burning up in the atmosphere as someone mentioned, it is the Total ANNIHILATION Challenge, people. That's what happens to a lot of people. Laika the dog didn't fare too well either, BTW. Anyway, I like the name MIR if my vote counts for anything. I hope if I join in 2014 that we can continue the space theme. Like Jake, I've been fascinated by space ever since I was seven. Back when I was a kid, I knew the names of all the different rockets, probes and satellites, and also planets, their moons, stars, constellations, etc. (Typical Asperger obsession.) Unfortunately, I've forgotten all that stuff now.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4852 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 102 of 586
11 December 2012 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
Я удалил это сообщение.

Edited by Марк on 12 December 2012 at 9:04am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 103 of 586
11 December 2012 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Here I am catching up on the Russian team log before I even read my own team's. I
miss you guys already, but I don't think I can manage Russian this year so this year I guess I'll be a groupie
rather than a team member.

As for MIR burning up in the atmosphere as someone mentioned, it is the Total ANNIHILATION Challenge,
people. That's what happens to a lot of people. Laika the dog didn't fare too well either, BTW. Anyway, I like
the name MIR if my vote counts for anything. I hope if I join in 2014 that we can continue the space theme.
Like Jake, I've been fascinated by space ever since I was seven. Back when I was a kid, I knew the names of
all the different rockets, probes and satellites, and also planets, their moons, stars, constellations, etc.
(Typical Asperger obsession.) Unfortunately, I've forgotten all that stuff now.

You may return as a member yet, so hang in there!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 15 December 2012 at 3:34pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 104 of 586
11 December 2012 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
Nope, my French is better. The AF has got their analysis wrong. But yes, I am pretty sure
my Russian is understandable, because, you know, I have used it to talk to people and I
was always understood.

I think you, Mark, are the only one who is not satisfied with my Russian ;) I assure you
I have had compliments concerning my Russian from at least 5 or 6 different people. So I
am positive I am doing something right. And yes, I am understood. I chat in Russian
practically every day and have conversations in it. Yes, I express myself in a slightly
Tarzan way but that is still better than not in Russian and the Russians seem to be very
happy about it.

Edited by tarvos on 11 December 2012 at 12:50pm

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version