586 messages over 74 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 73 74 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 49 of 586
06 December 2012 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Don't worry. It looks like I know what I'm doing, but I'm just as clueless as you are ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 50 of 586
06 December 2012 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
@Brun Ugle: That's the spirit! Before you know it you will be as enchanted with Russian as the rest of us are!

@ Emme: I remember you helping me with my rusty Italian when I was just a newbie here, so I am really just
passing it forward :-)

@ LanguageSponge: You have not posted in this thread yet, but a big welcome to you too. Remember that I
tried to convince you to come on board last year? I am happy that you jumped on board now.

And if there are any newcomers I have forgotten to welcome, I do so now! I think we have a perfect
combination of old members of Team Sputnik and newcomers, so I really look forward to next year.

We are actually a full team already -15 members, after just 2 days. I almost shake my head in disbelief that
Russian is so popular, but I think it is great.

Oh, and about the name- which I suppose we could start thinking about since we are already a fixed team.

In my view we should look for a name that is
- short ( not much longer than Sputnik)
- energetic (cause that's what we are)
- easily identifiable as Russian also by non-students of Russian.
- lends itself to as much imagery as Sputnik (cosmonauts, reach for the stars etc. )

Personally I still have a soft spot for the A-team, given that A is also a Russian letter, and because even
though the Russian angle may have to be explained to others, it has never ending possibilities within
imagery, sheer coolness factor, and the connotation of being able to make the impossible possible. But the
floor is open for suggestions: I supported another name initially last year, but I ended up being very happy
with Sputnik. So names of authors, astronauts, musicians, politicians (please let us not be team Putin)
monuments, transport modes or vehicles or whatever. The hunt for the perfect name has officially started!

TheGreaterFool
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 4167 days ago

65 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Modern Hebrew, French
Personal Language Map

Message 51 of 586
07 December 2012 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
Been thinking about a team name and reading through some of the posts...my humble suggestion would be Team Matryoshka...everyone is at a different stage of language learning and we are constantly trying to go deeper with our learning just like the seemingly never ending series of matryoshka dolls...

cheers
niels

TheGreaterFool
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 4167 days ago

65 posts - 78 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 52 of 586
07 December 2012 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
As I am starting to organize resources and put together a calendar for next year, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about how to document one's progress...are most people blogging on other sites and linking them back to this one or are people simply creating learning threads on this site in the team folder?...not exactly sure if what I am asking is clear...I just need a bit of help with the logistics of this.

cheers
niels

TheGreaterFool
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 4167 days ago

65 posts - 78 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 53 of 586
07 December 2012 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
Since the 'A Team' is a team name that is popular on the thread, I went onto Wikipedia to see what the A Team movie was called in Russia. It had the title of Команда «А» (Komanda "A"). Has a nice ring to it...

Bbcatcher 08
Diglot
United States
Joined 4213 days ago

130 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Hungarian

Message 54 of 586
07 December 2012 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Either way is ok, but I would recommend "Teach yourself Russian
script" . I absolutely loved it.

I have it. I've been slowly going through that. I think this weekend is going to be my
alphabet day :)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 55 of 586
07 December 2012 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
TheGreaterFool wrote:
As I am starting to organize resources and put together a calendar for next year, I
was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about how to document one's progress...are most people
blogging on other sites and linking them back to this one or are people simply creating learning threads on
this site in the team folder?...not exactly sure if what I am asking is clear...I just need a bit of help with the
logistics of this.

cheers
niels

Mostly we just create a log to document our progress on this forum under the general headline of Learning
logs, some chose to have several, like one for each language or theme, but the most successful logs I have
seen have usually been one log for all the languages you do. Have a look at page one of Team Sputnik's
common thread for 2012 and you'll find links to all our logs. Splitting your effort up over several logs typically
tends to be more work than people are able to put in. The enthusiasm rarely lasts longer than February,
though some feel they get motivated by starting new logs during the year. There are no strict rules on this,
but I would recommend that you have a look at the log of Tarvos . He has done an excellent job of
documenting all his languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5561 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 56 of 586
07 December 2012 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
Hi!

So I am the newest and I assume one of the last additions to this very popular team!
This year I'll be studying both Russian, Mandarin Chinese, and I will be maintaining my
German. I am presently living in China, albeit no-where near Russia. I will hopefully
be making my way up there though before 2013 is out. I haven't been to Russia since
university and I miss it. My German is pretty strong so if any of you on the team need
some help with German, drop me a line – I am always more than happy to help, especially
with my first love, which is German. I am really looking forward to having a good go at
Russian with you all this year!

So I guess the aim of my first post in this thread should be to tell people a little
about my Russian. I will attempt this in Russian and then translate as I am sure it’s
almost as shaky as a three-legged chair.

Всем привет! Меня зовут Джек и мне двадцать два года. Я уже лет пять учу русский, но
моя страсть к немецкому языку отвлекла меня от русского, сразу после окончания
университета, в июня последного года. Моя любовь к русскому языку возника в возрасте 16
лет, когда дядя подарил мне сборник русских рассказов. Первый рассказ, который я
прочитал, назывался «Лисица со скалочкой». В дополнение к страсти к русскому языку, я с
десятилетнего возраста увлекаюсь русской историей. Я немного знаю о древней истории
славянских народов, а у меня острый интерес к общественной истории Советского Союза. Я
люблю учить о гонке ядерных вооружений и холодной войне. Я - заядный читатель, могу
прочести книгу за два дня, но очень интересные книги читаю медленно, потому что я хочу
заставить их продолжиться.

Hi everyone! I’m Jack and I’m 22 years old. I have been studying Russian for about five
years but my passion for German distracted me from Russian shortly after graduating
from uni in July of last year. My love for Russian came about at the age of 16 when my
uncle gave me a collection of Russian short stories as a Christmas present. The first
story I read all the way through was called “The Fox and the Rolling Pin”. As well as
my passion for the Russian language, I have loved Russian history since I was 10. I
know very little about the ancient history of the Slavic peoples, but I have a keen
interest in the social history of the Soviet Union. I really enjoy learning about the
Nuclear Arms Race and the Cold War. I am an avid reader and am capable of reading a
book in two days, but I read very interesting books slowly because I want to make them
last.

@Solfrid Cristin - Hi! Yes, I do remember you tried to convince me to come on board
last year. I wonder now why I didn't! Anyway I am here now and the here and now is what
matters.

I am off now to read some of your logs from TAC 2012. I am looking forward to working
and learning Russian with all of you! Bring on 2013!

LanguageSponge / Jack

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version