Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s TAC log 2014 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
522 messages over 66 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 65 66
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 521 of 522
28 December 2014 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
It's confusing because the pronunciation really differs markedly, so people have the idea
they're dealing with something entirely different. But the pronunciation differences in
the Netherlands are equally huge and the southern part of the Netherlands sounds more
like the Belgians than like the Amsterdam people.

In the Netherlands and Belgium there's simply a big discrepancy between what you say and
what you write. The written language is 99,999% the same, the various dialects can differ
but they differ between all regions, even within the country. In Belgian (and Dutch)
Limburg they speak a more German-esque dialect. Someone from the far east of Belgium and
the far west of Belgium basically need to speak this standardised Dutch to understand
each other because they sure as hell don't understand each other's dialect. Not to
mention someone from Groningen or Friesland...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4370 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 522 of 522
31 December 2014 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Wow it's busy around here! I didn't update my log for a few days because I'm in
Belgium and it's taken me five minutes to locate it just now :D

Thank you for the explanations, tarvos :) We are really enjoying watching Salamander
and listening to the Dutch. In fact watching the programme is making me sad that it is
a language I will probably never have time to learn. We found a shop selling comics in
Brussels yesterday and bought an Asterix book in Dutch so at some point I will at
least have fun trying to read some of it and see how much I can understand :)

I have bought several Croatian books with me on holiday and have been busy studying my
new verbs tables in my downtime. I'm still practising my Cyrillic handwriting (it
looks slightly better on squared paper I've found!). I've also brought my Hippocrene
Beginner's Croatian book with me and I plan to start the year by rereading it, writing
out all the exercises and putting the vocabulary on Memrise for revision.

Talking about Memrise, they are holding a
competition in January to see who can learn the most
new vocab in a language in January.

I guess I should probably start a new log tomorrow!

Edited by Radioclare on 31 December 2014 at 7:02pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 522 messages over 66 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version