sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 73 of 197
31 August 2007 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
I did it. I actually did it. I finished Heisig. Well, not exactly finished, since I still have to keep reviewing the kanji I've studied until I know them by heart, but that's easily done with the Reviewing the Kanji website. What it does mean, though, is that I no longer have to spend countless hours on kanji, forcing myself to stay up till the wee hours just to get them done. It means I can actually have a life now.

I feel like I should be going to Disneyland or something, but I guess I'll just take a break this holiday weekend and rest up. I'll still do Assimil every day, but that takes relatively little time. Then I'll focus on making parallel texts so I can begin listening-reading.

1 person has voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6765 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 74 of 197
31 August 2007 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations!

GoddessCarlie
Australia
goddesscarlie.com
Joined 6087 days ago

21 posts - 21 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 75 of 197
03 September 2007 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Congrats!!

Lemus
Diglot
United States
Joined 6131 days ago

232 posts - 266 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese, Russian, German

Message 76 of 197
03 September 2007 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
I just did the sample pdf this summer and that took me long enough. The whole book...All I can say is good work.

Darobat
Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 77 of 197
03 September 2007 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
Congrats! It must be weird to know all the kanji but not be able to pronounce any of them. I'll be curious to see if learning Japanese is any easier with the task of memorizing all the kanji out of the way.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 78 of 197
03 September 2007 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
Thanks everyone!

Darobat, since I was doing Assimil concurrently with Heisig I actually do know the readings for a fair number of the kanji.

For me, the most important skill I acquired from doing Heisig was the ability to easily distinguish similar looking kanji from one another so that they can be readily identified should I come across them again in a different context. This has definitely made life easier as I've worked my way through Assimil.

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6197 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 79 of 197
04 September 2007 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations! You're currently in the first place in the challenge. This was communicated to me directly by the great council of elders :) Serious contenders are Serpent, egguk and Volte. Luke has earned the honorary title of Annihilator Maximus but he did not participate in the challenge. Unfortunately Volte has been incapacitated and his further participation is uncertain.

Great job, I'm very jealous. I didn't want to spoil your party before but there are two other Heisig books that might be worth checking out if the reading experiment doesn't work for you right from the start. I wouldn't dismiss them before at least checking them out.

Edited by reineke on 04 September 2007 at 2:31pm

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 80 of 197
04 September 2007 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
Congratulations! You're currently in the first place in the challenge.

Trying to get my competitive juices flowing again? :-)

Quote:

Great job, I'm very jealous. I didn't want to spoil your party before but there are two other Heisig books that might be worth checking out if the reading experiment doesn't work for you right from the start. I wouldn't dismiss them before at least checking them out.

My library has both books and I've perused them a bit already. My impression from others who have worked through them is that the second book is only of limited usefulness. The third book seems ok, but since I'm planning on studying Chinese next, I think maybe I'll skip the third book and go on to Remembering the Hanzi.

Edited by sheetz on 04 September 2007 at 5:39pm

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version