Joined 6131 days ago

232 posts - 266 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese, Russian, German

Message 89 of 197
17 September 2007 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
Thuan wrote:
About to finish Heisig chapter 42.

Would it be possible for you to share the parallel text for "Night on the Milky Way Train"? I´ve also begun to work on a parallel text, this could save me some time.

Next text that I´m going to work on is Natsume Soseki´s Kokoro. This is going to take some time.

I would also be very grateful if you could make those texts availible.
1 person has voted this message useful

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 90 of 197
17 September 2007 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
I don't mind sharing, but I don't think I should just put up a link without first getting permission to do so. Probably the best way to do it is if anyone is interested in the texts they should PM me.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 91 of 197
20 September 2007 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
I'm up to lesson 90 in Assimil. The lessons have become fairly difficult--it seems many of the kanji used in the lessons have 3-4 readings, making things very confusing! I've definitely learned a lot, but at the same time I'm glad it's almost over. In fact, I think the entire Summer Challenge should just about be done, as Autumn is just a few days away.

After completing a few parallel texts of short stories by Miyazawa I think I'm ready to move on to another author. I do have the bilingual book of his short stories, so that will have to suffice. A few weeks back I had started a parallel text for Le Petit Prince but found it to be too difficult due to lack of kanji and had set it aside. I just went back to it and discovered, surprisingly, that it didn't seem difficult at all. The sentences used are mostly very short and contain simple vocabulary. Therefore I'm going to go ahead and complete that one for now before moving on to other, more difficult, texts.

Edited by sheetz on 20 September 2007 at 8:11pm

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 92 of 197
24 September 2007 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
In my last week of Assimil. For the last set of lessons they had taken out the romaji underneath the Japanese script so following along with the audio was a little tough at first. But now I seem to have adjusted fairly well and no longer have a need for that crutch.

Completed up to Chapter 9 of the J/E parallel text for "Le Petit Prince." After I'm done I'll post a download link for anyone wanting it as I believe both the Japanese and English translations are in the public domain.

Summer is officially over now, so I guess that means the Total Annihilation challenge should be too. I'll probably change the title of this thread pretty soon to reflect that. I've come a long way in just these few short months, but I know that I still have a long way to go in mastering the Japanese language.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 93 of 197
29 September 2007 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Today I completed the final lesson of Assimil. I haven't done the active phase yet, as I prefer to focus on comprehensible input, but I'll still continue to review the sentences in the SRS until I feel completely comfortable with all of them. Until then, it's on to listening-reading. Then when I've had enough of that, I'll go on to Heisig 3 and mining sentences from grammar books.

longwood
Diglot
United States
Joined 6161 days ago

9 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 94 of 197
29 September 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
just wanted to say great job so far. japanese is not an easy language to learn. i have been studying for 3 years and
it feels like i have such a long way to go. just out of curiosity what do you feel your best ability is (listening, reading,
writing, kanji)? and worst ability? i am not really familiar with assimil so i don't know what they have you doing but
at this point what do you feel is the best study method for you?

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 95 of 197
29 September 2007 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
Thanks longwood,

As far as my best ability, I guess it would have to be reading and kanji. Having gone through Heisig and Assimil I can often get the gist of many texts despite not always knowing how to pronounce all the words.

If you've read through the Listening-Reading discussion, Assimil is basically L-R with training wheels. That is to say, in addition to providing texts in parallel format and audio, Assimil gives you romaji, word for word translations, and grammar notes.

At this point I don't know if I could pinpoint any single method as being the "best" for me because I feel they were all necessary at a particular stage in my studies.

--Power Japanese and "Remembering the Kana" were both excellent for learning kana.
--Let's Learn Japanese, Pimsleur I, and JapanesePod101 were all fantastic for speaking and listening practice.
--"Remembering the Kanji" was essential for learning kanji.
--Assimil has helped with everything, but I wouldn't have gotten as much out of it as I have without going through the others first. I do feel that putting the sentences in an SRS was critical, though. I wouldn't have learned nearly has much without that step. In addition I would recommend using a web based SRS as then you can use Rikaichan to easily look up any unknown words.

Hope this helps!

Edited by sheetz on 29 September 2007 at 4:50pm

longwood
Diglot
United States
Joined 6161 days ago

9 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 96 of 197
30 September 2007 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
thanks for the reply. it was more out of curiosity than anything else. i was just wondering what methods other
people are using and what method seems to work the best. i usually just use the textbooks given to us to use in
class, but i have taken a look at heisig's books and they seem pretty good. i also just starting listening to
japanesepod101 and find that very helpful.

じゃあ、お互いに「おたがいに」勉強「べん きょう」頑張りましょうね「がんばりましょ う」!

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version