United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 145 of 197
31 March 2008 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
Hi Sunja,

Since this is my personal learning log to discuss my own language learning experiences you're not going to get a lot of opinions from others. You'd be much better off posting in one of the other sections.

As for me, I haven't taken any of the JLPT tests so I wouldn't be the best person to advise you. That said, I do know that there are JLPT study guides to help you with your exam preparation.

Good luck with your studies!
1 person has voted this message useful

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 146 of 197
10 April 2008 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
Brief update on my progress. I'm still going through Harry Potter I using the Japanese audiobook. First I listen to L2 while reading L1, then repeat while reading L2.

I've also returned to Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar. The first time I started working my way through it the level was probably a bit too high for me, but now it seems to be just right. I guess I can now call myself intermediate, at least as far as reading goes. I'd really like to put all the sentences in the SRS, but it just seems so tedious. After finishing with Harry Potter I I'd like to start doing that again, but it'll take a lot of discipline.

Edited by sheetz on 10 April 2008 at 7:53pm

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 147 of 197
29 April 2008 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
It's now almost a year since I began studying Japanese, and the reason I created this log was to participate in last year's Total Annihilation Challenge. Looking back, I really accomplished a lot last summer, and while it was an exhausting period, I think the whole process was totally worthwhile.

This year, I'm going to complete yet another TAC with the hopes of bringing my Japanese up to a decently high level. I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing but I'll try to have a few definite goals formulated by the time the challenge beings on May 1.

In the meantime, I've finished up with Harry Potter 1 and have now begun Harry Potter 2.

Edited by sheetz on 29 April 2008 at 6:01pm

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 148 of 197
01 May 2008 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
TAC 2008 has begun. I only plan on doing this for a few months, as I'm sure that's about as long as I will be able to sustain such a pace, but here are the goals I hope to reach:

1. Finish reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in Japanese, and then following that with an additional 2 passes with the audiobook. At least 20 pages per day seems reasonable.

2. Finish entering the sentences from Dictionaries of Basic and Intermediate Japanese Grammar in the SRS along with completing the requisite daily reviews. This is not nearly as fun as reading HP, but I feel it's the language learning equivalent to eating my vegetables. I will shoot for 10 sentences per day.

3. Get in at least 30 min of additional L-R every day. I wish I had more parallel texts at my disposal, but instead I will have to use the ones available at Bauddha.net. I will also count time spent creating my own parallel texts towards these 30 minutes.

We'll see how that goes. I don't feel I'm being overly ambitious, but as usual I will reevaluate these goals as time progresses, making changes if necessary.

Edited by sheetz on 01 May 2008 at 4:22am

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 149 of 197
03 May 2008 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
I have to say I'm impressed with the number of members participating in this year's challenge. I don't think there were nearly this many last year.

My own challenge has been going well so far. It's exactly what I needed to give myself a swift kick in the rear to do what I've been putting off for months--continuing with my progress through DBJG and DIJG and the creation of J-E parallel texts.

Neither of these tasks have been particularly difficult or time consuming, but they do take initiative, which I've been sorely lacking in the past few months. I'm currently working my way through DBJG, entering those sentences I'm not fully comfortable with, and also making a parallel text for the Sherlock Holmes mystery, "The Blue Carbuncle." They only take an hour or so per day altogether, but they just aren't as fun as reading Harry Potter book 2. That has been very pleasant going so far as the rate at which I'm making my way through it is easily twice that with which I was working through the first book.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 150 of 197
06 May 2008 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Not much news to report. I finished the parallel text for "Blue Carbuncle" and I've started L-R with it. I'll put a link to it on the first post when I'm done.

Steadily going through DBJG and Harry Potter 2, and I've also ordered the 3rd and 4th books in the series, although those two don't have audiobooks. The 5th book should be available soon in paperback and I'll get that one, too. The 6th HP book, however, is only out in expensive hardcover edition, and I don't know if I'm willing to shell out $60 for it. The final HP book hasn't been released in Japanese yet, as far as I know.

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6197 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 151 of 197
09 May 2008 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
sheetz wrote:
Brief update on my progress. I'm still going through Harry Potter I using the Japanese audiobook. First I listen to L2 while reading L1, then repeat while reading L2.

Hi sheetz

I have a question regarding the usefulness of reading the English text while listening to Japanese which is really the main radical idea behind L-R. It sort of strikes me as watching a foreign movie while reading subtitles, which I have always found at best of limited use. The opposite way, Japanese-Japanese is how people learn how to read, although Japanese does present a few challenges there as well. How useful do you find the English text while simultaneously listening to Japanese?

blindsheep
Triglot
Spain
Joined 6110 days ago

503 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 152 of 197
09 May 2008 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
I'm sure sheetz has his/her own opinion, but for me one of the things that separates watching a movie while reading subtitles vs LRing is a) use of headphones, b) no visual cues to draw away your attention from the dialog, c) it's easier to repeat books in my opinion than movies (at least for me, maybe because the visualizing is left more to your imagination)... but if you are focussed properly with movies the differences are not so much.

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version