sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 169 of 197
29 May 2008 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Still plugging away at Harry Potter 3 and DIJG. I'm mainly sticking to a 20-30 page/day pace with HP, although if I didn't do any other kind of studying I'd probably be able to double that. As for DIJG, I've found the sentences in it to be quite difficult at times, mainly due to vocabulary. I don't input all the example sentences into Anki, but I do try to input all the ones that contain new vocab. So far that's been more than I would like, but it appears that the same vocab tends to be used repeatedly for the example sentences throughout the book, so I probably won't have to input as many as time goes on.
1 person has voted this message useful

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 170 of 197
07 June 2008 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Now passed the halfway mark in HP3, and I'm continually amazed at how much new vocabulary there is on virtually every page. I'm wondering just how well I'll be able to read by the end of the series. Hopefully I'll be up to high intermediate level by then, but I may have to reread them all to get there.

In DIBJ I'm barely up to page 100 and already have 170+ sentences mined, so it won't surprise me if I wind up with 1000+ sentences altogether. The sentences themselves are generally quite challenging, and I'm feeling a bit like how I was while doing Assimil, whose sentences now seem trivially easy in comparison. I'm curious to see what the sentences are like in the Advanced volume.

Edited by sheetz on 07 June 2008 at 6:00pm

Biene
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5972 days ago

71 posts - 73 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Dutch, Japanese

Message 171 of 197
10 June 2008 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
Hi sheetz,
it seems that the Audio-links for "Down the Takase River" is dead. The podcast seems to have moved to this address:
http://www.tfm.co.jp/podcasts/kikimimi/?id=40
Even though I don't know where the audio would be on this site.

A quick search brought up this podcast, where I think they also read said story:
http://sarasouju.cocolog-nifty.com/sara/
http://sarasouju.cocolog-nifty.com/sara/2007/01/post_ea59.ht ml

Thanks a lot for your log, it's very inspiring. Could you maybe make a quick list of what you did so far, that it's not nessecary to read through the whole 22 pages repeatedly? :) I'm especially interested int which audiobooks you've read so far, and which you'd recommend to start with.

cheers

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 172 of 197
10 June 2008 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Ugh, you want me to do more work? :P

Yes, I know some of the links are no longer current, but since nobody said anything I didn't bother updating the list. I'll try to do it some time.

As for the audiobooks I've used, they are primarily the stories by Kenji Miyazawa and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I've also used the audiobooks for the first two Harry Potter novels. The Kenji Miyasawa stories are the ones I started with first and are probably the easiest to understand. My favorites are the Acorns and the Wildcat and Restaurant of Many Orders.

ETA: I forgot to mention Le Petit Prince. That's a good story, too.

Edited by sheetz on 11 June 2008 at 12:17am

mytamk
Diglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6028 days ago

64 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 174 of 197
11 June 2008 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
You are so awesome. Thank you so much for sharing!!!! I'm so excited to get all this material online in helping me with my study of Japanese. You all RULE and ROCK!!
Thank you... Arigatou gozaimasu....

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 175 of 197
11 June 2008 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the links, waremchan! For Alice in Wonderland there's a very good recording at Awatalk and a parallel text at Bauddha.n et

Edited by sheetz on 11 June 2008 at 2:49pm

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 176 of 197
01 July 2008 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
It's been a while since my last update. I've now finished the 3rd Harry Potter book and am now starting the 4th one. I've noticed a definitely improvement in my reading comprehension, and can now get the gist of most passages without consulting the translation, although I'm still far from the point where I can completely do without the English text.

I've not been learning any more sentences from DIBJ lately, since the sentences have been hard enough that I feel the need to spend extra time to absorb them without trying to learn anymore new ones. I've also decided I need to cut back on my Japanese study for the next couple of weeks while I brush up on my Cantonese using the Teach Yourself guide.

In addition, I've updated the first post in order to fix expired links and add new items.

Edited by sheetz on 01 July 2008 at 2:36am

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version