sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 33 of 197
03 August 2007 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
Generally, you're not going to find free audiobooks for contemporary novels because the copyrights on them are still active. If you're wanting to purchase some I don't know of too many which are available to those living outside Japan, but then it could be that it's difficult for me to find them because my Japanese language skills are so rudimentary. If you know the Japanese titles of books you're interested in you might try doing a search at Amazon Japan or YesAsia.com and see what you come up with. Offhand I know that the first two Harry Potter books are available on CD.
1 person has voted this message useful

Thuan
Triglot
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6680 days ago

133 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese, German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Romanian, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 34 of 197
03 August 2007 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Hm, wouldn´t mind reading/listening to Harry Potter in Japanese. A friend of mine is going to Japan soon, will ask him to look out for audiobooks.

Natsume Soseki is great, but I would prefer some contemporary novels as a follow-up to his works.

BTW, I just began listening-reading to The Little Prince. I had the book at hand and it´s really easy to read. Going to move on to Miyazawa Kenji this weekend.

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6197 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 35 of 197
03 August 2007 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the audiobooks links! Awesome! I'm curious how the listening-reading approach works for you. Good work with the "slow and steady" approach. Are you collecting sentences for your own version of the "10,000" sentence approach?

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 36 of 197
03 August 2007 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
reineke, Assimil should take care of the first 1000 or so sentences. After that, I'll go through the Dictionaries of Basic and Intermediate Japanese Grammar.If I need more sentences after that I'll use the sentences in Japanese: A Comprehensive Grammar.

FSI
United States
Joined 6109 days ago

550 posts - 590 votes 

Message 37 of 197
04 August 2007 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
sheetz wrote:
If you know the Japanese titles of books you're interested in you might try doing a search at Amazon Japan or YesAsia.com and see what you come up with.

A good way around this is to go to the wikipedia page of the book you want, and scroll down on the lower-left side until you reach the link for the page in Japanese. Once you hit that, the entire book page will be in Japanese, and you can just highlight the title, right-click (if on Firefox), and google it.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 38 of 197
04 August 2007 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
I think I found a way to buy and download Japanese audiobooks from iTunes Japan. The titles there are quite reasonably priced (the complete "I am a Cat" can be purchased for only ¥2700 yen). There are some titles I haven't seen elsewhere, and even a couple of translated romance novels by Linda Howard and Diana Palmer. The trick to buying them is that if you live outside of Japan, you have to first purchase an iTunes Japan prepaid card. Directions for doing this can found here:

http://www.jlist.com/SEARCH/itunes/1/

Edited by sheetz on 04 August 2007 at 11:48am

siomotteikiru
Zaire
Joined 6111 days ago

102 posts - 242 votes 

Message 39 of 197
05 August 2007 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
I've figured out how to download the audio files of Soseki Natsume "Ten Nights of Dreams".

There's a handy proggy ASFRecorder that can do it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Nordlicht
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6163 days ago

47 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: German*, English, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto

Message 40 of 197
05 August 2007 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
Thank you a lot for all the links to the audiobooks and transcripts. This is very helpful!
In ran into a problem however while trying to go through "le petit prince". The transcripts for the first 22 chapters don't load. It seems like there uploaded to a different server which doesn't work.
Could anyone think of another way of finding these transcripts?   

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version