gidler
Finland
Joined 6373 days ago

109 posts - 118 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Finnish*

Message 113 of 197
16 November 2007 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
Whoops, sorry. I once again posted without reading the preceding posts carefully enough.
1 person has voted this message useful

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 114 of 197
17 November 2007 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
I've discovered I really like L-R to the Sherlock Holmes mysteries. Not only do I find the stories themselves fun and interesting, but the recordings are generally outstanding. I just wish the blogger who's recording them could churn them out faster. As it is it takes 1-2 months to complete one story. In the meantime I'm going to make better parallel texts than the ones provided by bauddha.net. The problem with theirs is that many times the texts aren't aligned properly and it becomes easy to lose your place.

I'm also still diligently working my way through Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar and have passed the halfway point. I know that as I work my way through it not everything is going to stick, but I think a good strategy is to continue reading it through to the end, and then give it a second pass, putting example sentences into an SRS only for those concepts which I still haven't mastered. That should drastically reduce the amount of required work later on.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6300 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 115 of 197
22 November 2007 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
Regarding your 1st post, you're awesome. Thanks a million!

snozle
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6113 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto

Message 116 of 197
26 November 2007 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
sheetz wrote:
snozle, for entering sentences, I do

Q: Japanese
A: kana and English translation

I enter the sentences as they are in the Assimil book, whether I've covered the kanji in RTK or not. Remember
that Assimil was
designed to be used by beginners with no knowledge of kanji, so it's not a real problem. I've also found it
extremely helpful to use
a web based SRS so I can use a popup dictionary like Rikaichan to look up any unknown vocabulary.

How do you grade yourself then? If you are focusing more on the meanings of the sentences rather than the
readings I can see how
it would work, but how do you grade based on both the reading and meaning? Or do you simply focus on the
meaning of the
sentences and find that the reading naturally follows? One approach, I think, could be to focus first on the
meaning, then reset the
scheduling for the deck and start over with the reading, but that seems redundant and a waste of time.

Oh, also what SRS did you finally settle with?

Thanks again for your reply!

Edited by snozle on 26 November 2007 at 10:52pm

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 117 of 197
26 November 2007 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Snozle, first off I should let you know that my primary focus is on reading comprehension, so I have tailored my study program to reflect that.

When grading myself on relatively new sentences if I know the meaning of the sentence but mess up only slightly with the reading then I give myself a barely passing grade. More mistakes and I lower my grade accordingly. If it's been quite a while since I first learned the sentence (say, several weeks) then I start to grade myself more harshly. In the meantime it's extremely important to keep listening to and shadowing the dialogs from previous lessons, especially those which have given you trouble.

The flashcard program I have been using is lingopronto.com, which is a completely bare bones, web based SRS. I've been told that by using the popup dictionary function on the freeware program Wakan that it's not necessary to use a web based SRS, and if that's the case then you could certainly use something like Mnemosyne. I haven't been able to test Wakan yet since the computer I'm using is running on Vista, which is not supported, and my other computer is currently being repaired.

Hope I've answered your questions.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 118 of 197
04 December 2007 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
Short update. Have less than 100 pages to go in DBJG. Still L-R to short stories. Started learning some kanji from RTK3. Now working my way through Japanese in Mangaland--great for learning Japanese swear words and colloquial language.

Edited by sheetz on 04 December 2007 at 1:57am

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 119 of 197
10 December 2007 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
Finally finished Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar. Now I'll go back to the beginning and enter any sentences I'm unsure of in a flashcard program. Hopefully that won't be too many.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 120 of 197
19 December 2007 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
I've been entering sentences from DBJG into the flashcard program and fortunately I don't have to enter too many of them as it appears many of the concepts have remained with me after the first pass. Meanwhile, I've started going through the Intermediate volume and it's a definite step up in difficulty. Not just the grammatical points but the vocabulary used in the sample sentences as well. Looks like it's going to take a longer to go through this book compared to the Basic volume.

Edited by sheetz on 19 December 2007 at 11:18am

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version