sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 137 of 197
03 March 2008 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Just a short update. I'm past halfway through Harry Potter I. There still seems to be so much new vocabulary popping up, but it's definitely getting easier to follow the story without having to check the English text.
1 person has voted this message useful

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 138 of 197
15 March 2008 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
I'm now on the home stretch of Harry Potter with only about 80 pages to go.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 139 of 197
20 March 2008 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
Finally done reading Harry Potter I. The second half of the book was far easier than the first half, and I would guess it took me half the time. Now I'm going to go through it again with the audiobook, listening to it while reading the Japanese text.

skeeterses
United States
angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6368 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 140 of 197
20 March 2008 at 6:22am | IP Logged 
Congratulations to you Sheetz. I have read the Harry Potter 1 book in Korean and it was a quite difficult book indeed.

I have a few questions. How many Kanjis can you recognize, and does the Japanese Harry Potter have the Hiraganas next to the Kanjis. I have a Japanese Bible, which my minister is helping out to read on Sundays, and it has the Hiraganas next to all the Kanjis so that a reader will know how its pronounced, for example whether the mountain character gets pronounced yama or san.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 141 of 197
20 March 2008 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
skeeterses, it's hard for me to put a number on the kanji I "recognize." I finished Heisig, and so can recognize some 2000 or so (maybe forgot a couple hundred) but not be able to necessarily pronounce. Also there are some less commonly used kanji in Harry Potter that I can now recognize.

There are lots of furigana printed next to the kanji in HP. Not all of them, but a lot, especially the first time you see them.

Edited by sheetz on 20 March 2008 at 3:06pm

GoddessCarlie
Australia
goddesscarlie.com
Joined 6087 days ago

21 posts - 21 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 142 of 197
20 March 2008 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
Hi Sheetz!
You're a bit of inspiration for me :) I've just ordered the Japanese translation of my favourite book off Amazon.jp and I'm waiting for it to arrive. You have given me strength that I can read it!

I want to know, did you only read the source text when you didn't understand something fully? Did you only look up words in a dictionary if you still didn't understand? And did you add anything from the book into your srs?

I was thinking for the first run through I'd like to just read it, with the source text there if I don't understand something. Read to enjoy, if I can. And then on the second run through, start picking out words or sentences I'd like to study and add them to my SRS. But I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Carlie

Edited by GoddessCarlie on 20 March 2008 at 8:39pm

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 143 of 197
22 March 2008 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
Hi GoddessCarlie!

The first time through I hardly looked up anything in the dictionary. Only if I kept seeing the same word over and over and it was driving me insane not knowing its exact meaning. otherwise I just went through the Japanese translation and kept the English version close by to consult when I got stuck, and at the beginning that was very, very often! Near the end of the book, however, I was nearly able to understand entire pages without having to look at the English at all.

I haven't entered any of the sentences into the SRS either because I prefer choosing sentences in a more systematic fashion. I've been really slacking off, but I do hope to eventually finish inputting the entries from Dictionaries of Basic and Intermediate Japanese grammar.

HTH

Edited by sheetz on 22 March 2008 at 5:06pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5835 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 144 of 197
29 March 2008 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
I'm new to this forum and I could sure use the imput of some of you more experienced learners.

I wasn't quite sure where to post but I'll try here. I'm studying Japanese on my own with "Japanese For Busy People 2"/ plus accompaning workbook (grammar); Heisig, Vol. 1, Internet flashcards (Kanji), and listening/shadowing from various DVDs and conversation tapes.

I'm determined to take JLPT 3 in Duesseldorf this December, but I tried Level 4 practice test a few days ago and managed about 60-70 percent. I'm quickly getting bogged down, looking to jump-start my learning routine and fill in any basic "Level 4 gaps" so that I can push on. I know a lot of people use Pimsleur, but I find the tempo to be quite boring and don't like waiting for prompts I find to be too long. I really want to speed up my vocabulary and I believe the best way to do this is to cement what I've learned through usage. I'm limited to speaking to myself or recording simple dialogues into a tape and playing it back. I'm forced to wonder if this is a good idea since there's no "pronunciation check". I recently bought Shadowing - Let’s speak Japanese! - Nihongo wo hanasou (+CD) to see if this helps to speed things up a bit.

I find the dialgues and grammar from JFBP are fine, but I find I'm not putting them to much use. I don't want to give up my JFBP series, but maybe this is a wrong choice all-together for Self-Study. Any comments?

Edited by Sunja on 29 March 2008 at 4:38am

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version