United States
Joined 3817 days ago

270 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 161 of 197
11 May 2008 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
waremchan wrote:

It's a very good idea. I listen, read, repeat and type in all at the same time. I've already listened-repeated-read-typed-in thousands of computer pages. There's one condition: your pronunciation should already be good. And you must be able to type like a professional typist, then it doesn't take so much time and is very enjoyable.

Speed is going to be a problem, however, and not because of my typing abilities but because of the inherent difficulties of Japanese and its kanji. But I think my typing speed should increase exponentially the more I do it. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Edited by sheetz on 11 May 2008 at 10:36pm

sheetz
United States
Joined 3817 days ago

270 posts - 82 votes 

Message 162 of 197
16 May 2008 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Update.

I'm past 2/3 of the way through HP2, and almost done putting the sentences from DBJG into the SRS. Only problem is that I'm using a web based program and it's been having problem for the last few days. If I continue having problems logging on I may have to look for a new flashcard program.

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 3826 days ago

110 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Russian

Message 163 of 197
16 May 2008 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
Sheetz. I started entering sentences from DBJG into anki a while ago, when my 日本語の先生 recommended I get it. Anki is so superior in comparison to mnemosyne and supermemo(the other ones I've used). If you haven't tried it, I would recommend to give it a try. It's also pretty good at importing various different types of text files.

sheetz
United States
Joined 3817 days ago

270 posts - 82 votes 

Message 164 of 197
16 May 2008 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
senor_smile wrote:
Sheetz. I started entering sentences from DBJG into anki a while ago, when my 日本語の先生 recommended I get it. Anki is so superior in comparison to mnemosyne and supermemo(the other ones I've used). If you haven't tried it, I would recommend to give it a try. It's also pretty good at importing various different types of text files.

Thanks, I'm currently testing it out, and it looks good. I tried it last year, but whenever I used the synch function all my cards got deleted for some reason. Hopefully I understand it better this time.

sheetz
United States
Joined 3817 days ago

270 posts - 82 votes 

Message 165 of 197
19 May 2008 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
Still steadily working my way through Harry Potter 2 and DBJG. I should be done with both within the next few days. After that I guess I'll start working through DIJG and begin using the audiobook for HP2.

I also stumbled across a website which contains the complete Japanese text for Harry Potter 1, so I might try putting together a parallel text for that when I get the time.

In other news, I found out that thejapanshop.com is selling the newly released Dictionary of Advanced Japanese Grammar at a preorder discount, and the Harry Potter 7 Japanese translation will be released this summer as well. I'm looking forward to both of them.

Edited by sheetz on 19 May 2008 at 6:51pm

sheetz
United States
Joined 3817 days ago

270 posts - 82 votes 

Message 166 of 197
23 May 2008 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
I'm finally done reading HP2 and entering the sentences from DBJG. I will now go through HP2 while listening to the Japanese audiobook and begin sentence mining DIJG. In addition I've started reading HP3.

reineke
United States
Joined 3887 days ago

851 posts - 167 votes 
Studies: German

Message 167 of 197
23 May 2008 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
sheetz wrote:
leosmith, I can't say that I have seen any parallel texts of any YB works, but I will keep an eye out for any.

Hi Leo and sheetz. Just wanted to make you aware of "Read Real Japanese Fiction: Short Stories by Contemporary Writers" by Emmerich. It features among other things one short story by Banana Yoshimoto and a CD with audio narrations. No parallel text but translations of complex passages.

Sheetz, are you going all japanese all the time way with sentence mining?
DBJG is A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar - for anyone else wondering. I had to look that up :)

sheetz
United States
Joined 3817 days ago

270 posts - 82 votes 

Message 168 of 197
24 May 2008 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:

Sheetz, are you going all japanese all the time way with sentence mining?

If you're asking if I create the cards the way he does it, then the way I do them is to use the Japanese sentence as the question and then the translation as the answer. I don't put the answer in Japanese because that's just too much trouble for me.

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version