United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 161 of 197
11 May 2008 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
waremchan wrote:

It's a very good idea. I listen, read, repeat and type in all at the same time. I've already listened-repeated-read-typed-in thousands of computer pages. There's one condition: your pronunciation should already be good. And you must be able to type like a professional typist, then it doesn't take so much time and is very enjoyable.

Speed is going to be a problem, however, and not because of my typing abilities but because of the inherent difficulties of Japanese and its kanji. But I think my typing speed should increase exponentially the more I do it. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Edited by sheetz on 11 May 2008 at 10:36pm

1 person has voted this message useful

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 162 of 197
16 May 2008 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Update.

I'm past 2/3 of the way through HP2, and almost done putting the sentences from DBJG into the SRS. Only problem is that I'm using a web based program and it's been having problem for the last few days. If I continue having problems logging on I may have to look for a new flashcard program.

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6136 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Russian

Message 163 of 197
16 May 2008 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
Sheetz. I started entering sentences from DBJG into anki a while ago, when my 日本語の先生 recommended I get it. Anki is so superior in comparison to mnemosyne and supermemo(the other ones I've used). If you haven't tried it, I would recommend to give it a try. It's also pretty good at importing various different types of text files.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 164 of 197
16 May 2008 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
senor_smile wrote:
Sheetz. I started entering sentences from DBJG into anki a while ago, when my 日本語の先生 recommended I get it. Anki is so superior in comparison to mnemosyne and supermemo(the other ones I've used). If you haven't tried it, I would recommend to give it a try. It's also pretty good at importing various different types of text files.

Thanks, I'm currently testing it out, and it looks good. I tried it last year, but whenever I used the synch function all my cards got deleted for some reason. Hopefully I understand it better this time.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 165 of 197
19 May 2008 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
Still steadily working my way through Harry Potter 2 and DBJG. I should be done with both within the next few days. After that I guess I'll start working through DIJG and begin using the audiobook for HP2.

I also stumbled across a website which contains the complete Japanese text for Harry Potter 1, so I might try putting together a parallel text for that when I get the time.

In other news, I found out that thejapanshop.com is selling the newly released Dictionary of Advanced Japanese Grammar at a preorder discount, and the Harry Potter 7 Japanese translation will be released this summer as well. I'm looking forward to both of them.

Edited by sheetz on 19 May 2008 at 6:51pm

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 166 of 197
23 May 2008 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
I'm finally done reading HP2 and entering the sentences from DBJG. I will now go through HP2 while listening to the Japanese audiobook and begin sentence mining DIJG. In addition I've started reading HP3.

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6197 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 167 of 197
23 May 2008 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
sheetz wrote:
leosmith, I can't say that I have seen any parallel texts of any YB works, but I will keep an eye out for any.

Hi Leo and sheetz. Just wanted to make you aware of "Read Real Japanese Fiction: Short Stories by Contemporary Writers" by Emmerich. It features among other things one short story by Banana Yoshimoto and a CD with audio narrations. No parallel text but translations of complex passages.

Sheetz, are you going all japanese all the time way with sentence mining?
DBJG is A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar - for anyone else wondering. I had to look that up :)

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 168 of 197
24 May 2008 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:

Sheetz, are you going all japanese all the time way with sentence mining?

If you're asking if I create the cards the way he does it, then the way I do them is to use the Japanese sentence as the question and then the translation as the answer. I don't put the answer in Japanese because that's just too much trouble for me.

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version