Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 9 of 338
11 August 2012 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
Like I mentioned briefly, I have yet to be confident about the difference between u and y. According to wikipedia, they're quite similar, as

u - close central rounded
y - close front rounded

I'd like to know which one corresponds more alike to German ü or French u. I always thought it was y, but now I'm in doubt. Since they differ just from one degree of place of articulation, i'd like to hear extra tips. I was told for y you should make sure your tongue is at the front of your mouth, while for u you may let it move backwards a bit. I may be able to hear the difference quite well, I just don't want to keep mistaking one for another when I pronounce them.

As I suppose this has been asked before, it's ok just to link me =D
1 person has voted this message useful

pbromide
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

76 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish

Message 10 of 338
11 August 2012 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
Took a look at the Wikipedia Norwegian page and if my understanding of IPA is like, then
the following description should be correct:

u - represented by /u/ or /ʉ/. /u/ sounds like French "ou." /ʉ/ sounds like Scottish
"moon."
y - represented by /ʏ/ or /y/. /y/ sounds like French "tu." /ʏ/ is to /I/ what /y/ is to
/i/, if that helps at all. It's the rounded version of the "i" sound in "bit."
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5257 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 338
11 August 2012 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
I do not function by IPA but what pbromide says looks very right. I would in addition recommend listening as
much as possible to the language, and try to separate the two sounds. Once you can identify them, it is
easier to pronounce them yourself. If you need corrections from a native speaker, get in touch, we could do a
Skype session, and then I am sure you would get this in no time.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 12 of 338
11 August 2012 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
I guess I was right all the time. It's the y that corresponds to the French y, and the u is pronounced further back in the mouth, though equally rounded. At least that's how I hear them (I can distinguish both sounds clearly) and that's how I try to pronounce them myself. A friend of mine just tried to lead me into confusion regarding those sounds =D

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 13 of 338
13 August 2012 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
'Addicted' is no strong word for describing my feelings towards studying Norwegian now. I even took full lessons during the weekend, one on saturday and one on sunday, which I never do for the other languages (the fact that Assimil has shorter lessons in the beginning does help).

Todsy's lesson brings up an interesting statement about a Norwegian verb that happens equally to its Portuguese translation. i'm talking about the verb I]å bli. Lemme quote Assimil:

(...) verbe tres utilisé, [qui] a une signification double- et contradictoire: "devenir", mais aussi "rester". Det blir kaldt = il se met à faire froid (ça devient froid); hun blir syk = elle tombe (devient) malade, mais: bli her! = reste ici!.

In Brazilian Portuguese we'd use the verb ficar, which also means both a changement of state and a permanence in a given location:
"Está ficando frio" = It's getting cold.
"Ela está ficando doente" = She's getting sick.
"Fique aqui!" = Stay here!

(Notice that both Portuguese and English make use of the gerund which neither French nor Norwegian do).

This is the type of interesting facts that make me love learning languages, the whole way as much as the final goal!

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4751 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 14 of 338
13 August 2012 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
Interesting; Danish (unsurprisingly) appears to work in the same way: "Bliv her!"
and "Det bliver koldt".

I wonder if German is cognate here: "Bleiben Sie hier!"
(although "to become" = "werden", not "bleiben").
May be a coincidence.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5257 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 15 of 338
14 August 2012 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Bleiben is definitely a cognate, and unsurprisingly, Norwegians routinely try to use it instead of werden. And
that sounds just as weird as you can imagine :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4630 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 16 of 338
14 August 2012 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I found the use of att bli in the Scandinavian (Swedish in this case) context to be
weird, as Dutch "blijven" functions as in German.

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version