Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5046 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 257 of 338
03 June 2013 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Read 6 pages from Kabalmysteryet. At this rythm, it will take me some 70 workdays. I'm taking my time, anyway. I'm enjoying the process and I believe it will speed up in some weeks. I'm still doing heavy listening from the Norwegian textbooks, and I believe I am doing good progress there. About to finish Ny i Norge and proceed to the following one.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5046 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 258 of 338
04 June 2013 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
I've finished Ny i Norge. It is one more textbook of my dreams! I heard about it a long time ago, but I thought I wouldn't be able to do it, first because it was a monolingual one, second because I didn't have it. This tiem I hesitated a bit about using it because the first lessons were easy, but i decided to stick to it and I don't regret it. Dialogues get longer and meaningful, I mean, they aren't like many textbooks where you notice that they attempt to make a lot of new words stick, making them come up out of context. No, they have a clear order, totally based on really communicative situations. I must say I've been doing only the listening while reading the dialogues. I didn't read grammar notes or do exercises, I think it's not the time. I do need to start writing and to chat more often, but that's another issue =D

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5046 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 259 of 338
05 June 2013 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
I started Norsk for utledninger 1. It hasn't been that useful. I just read through lessons 1 to 6. Weird how the 1st dialogue can't be found in the tapes. Don't want to spend a lot of time on it, though.

Yday I could read a few more pages from the novel. It's still slow, though.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5046 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 260 of 338
12 June 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
I'm done with Norks for utldeninger 1. I expected a bit more from it, after having finished the good Ny i Norge. The first text/dialogues can't be found in the audio except for maybe two lessons. Anyway, I'm using those monolingual textbooks now mostly as audio material for improving my knowledge of conversational Norwegian. So, I'm proceeding to Norsk for utledninger 2, which has larger texts, and then to more comprehensive monolingual textbooks.

On a side note, I'm already at page 33 of this log! I've been learning Norwegian since August, it's been 10 months now. Quite a lot! Hopefully I believe my goals are being accomplished. I'm trying my best to move from A2 into B1 and this includes learning authentic Norwegian words which don't have cognates in English or German.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5046 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 261 of 338
12 June 2013 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
Plan is as following:

- Norsk for utledinger 2
- På vei
- Stein på stein
- Bo i Norge
- Her på Berget

I wonder if I should insert a grammar in between, just for clearing things up? What other Scandilearners who approached a B1 level did at this stage? Reading a grammar of the ones I have is not much difficult and will provide me with good sample sentences.

Also, I was just having a look at På Vei which will come after Norsk for utledninger 2, and is very basic, btw. I've already decided to skip the first 4 lessons and may as well skip a few more. My doubt is as following:

"En kopp te med sitron. Og et glass vann. Og et glass pils."

Pils translates as lager beer, but maybe in the context it refers to draft/draught beer, that is, not from a bottle, I don't know. Anyway. it comes from Pilsen, the Czech city. Still, øl is the usual word I've met for beer. I know technically the difference between ale and lager, but I was wondering how is the daily usage? Do people usually say øl when they mean beer in general and only use pils when they want to specify that they want low-fermented beer?

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4401 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 262 of 338
12 June 2013 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
I think it depends on the preference of the speaker. If a Norwegian says øl, he usually means pils, otherwise he would specify. So he could just as well say pils, doesn't matter (I've mostly heard øl though).

as for grammars: I don't think you need them until the advanced stage (like double checking when handing in some academic writing, or to satisfy your curiosity), you should get the essential stuff from your textbooks anyway
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6789 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 263 of 338
12 June 2013 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Same in Swedish. I know people who say "pilsner" instead of the generic term "öl", without necessarily referring to lager. In fact, I'm pretty sure that some people say "pilsner" even when they're drinking stout. It's not a word I'm using, though.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5046 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 264 of 338
13 June 2013 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
So, i've started with Norsk for utlendinger 2. A more comprehensive textbook, with texts only, no dialogues. I think the length of the text is appropriate for my current level. I don't haver Norsk for utlendinger 3, I bet it would be even more comprehensive. Since the book has 15 lessons, it's supposed to take me 15 study days, that is, I may finish it by the first week of July.

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version