Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5046 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 185 of 338
05 February 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
I do remember reading about that "bolle i ovnen" before, now that you guys mentioned it...

Tomorrow I may finish TY Norwegian. It helped a lot! I am now less frightened about Norwegian texts. I might do Colloquial Norwegian as I mentioned, then an old TY and then maybe I'll try monolingual textbooks. First, a simple one like Ny i Norge just so I get used to the vocabulary used in textbooks in Norwegian; then I'll proceed to the ones from På Vei series - I have to browse back at this log to see what is the order. Then maybe I can let go all those textbooks and focus on reading, writing and watching TV. I do hope it happens in 2013 =D
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5214 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 186 of 338
05 February 2013 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
It exists in Swedish too ("en bulle i ugnen"), but funnily enough I heard it IRL for the
first time just a few months ago. All this talk about idioms, but still even a native won't hear them that often...

Here it s fairly common, it is more than 30 years since I heard it the first time.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6789 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 187 of 338
05 February 2013 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
I may have been aware of the expression for some 20 years (typically through media and the tabloid press), but it wasn't until September/October when I heard it face to face (from the very person herself). Probably one of those idioms that are thought to be common, but used by nobody but 2nd language speakers (similarly, I've never heard "It's raining cats and dogs" by a native English speaker). Not that it's bad to be familiar with the expressions...

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5046 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 188 of 338
06 February 2013 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
How is the usage of -s infinitive like regarding objects nowadays? Is it becoming more common to use the -s genitive or to use noun + til + noun?

Btw, I finished TY Norwegian and I highly recommend it for beginners. The dialogues are so involving, with a story going on throughout the book. They also sound authentic and the expressions employed are useful. It's not a first book out of scratch because of the long text, but certainly a great second textbook!

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4401 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 189 of 338
06 February 2013 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
I can't say much about the actual usage, but the -s genitive sounds rather formal to me. Anyway, I'd rather sound formal and correct than using the wrong preposition and sound wrong ('til' is not the only preposition used for expressing genitive as you probably know already, and it is not always easy to decide which one you should actually use).

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5046 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 190 of 338
07 February 2013 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
Today I read lessons 2 and 3 from Colloquial Norwegian. I really don't want to spend (=waste) much time on it. I won't even bother with audio when I have time for reading it at the bus (like today). I actually hope I can move fast with it and have time for the challenges =D

After Colloquial I still have to decide if I'll take my first Linguaphone course ever. Maybe I'll wait and do an old TY first, as it focus heavily on grammar and translations, and thus will help me activate my knowledge.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5046 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 191 of 338
08 February 2013 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Oh well, I browsed Linguaphone again and I think it's adequate. So, I believe order will
be more or less as follows:

- Colloquial Norwegian (work in progress)
- TY Norwegian 1944 edition
- TY Norwegian 1967 edition
- Linguaphone Norwegian

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4753 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 192 of 338
08 February 2013 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
Aren't all these beginners' ressources, and at the same level?

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version