Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Mick’s Continuous TAC Multilingual Bliss!

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
228 messages over 29 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 28 29 Next >>
mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 9 of 228
23 January 2010 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
darkwhispersdal wrote:
mick33 wrote:
I think I'm finally getting over what I hope is just a very bad cold, which explains why my log disappeared again. This is worth mentioning because it means that I have done very little studying recently; although my idea of listening to more Swedish and Finnish is slowly paying off. I still don't understand as much as I'd like to, but the sounds I hear seem natural to me now; and I recognize more words.

Mick

I can sympathise I was ill last week and couldn't bring myself to study at all.
Thanks darkwhispersdal, I hope you are feeling better this week.

Sprachjunge wrote:
You do not know how gratifying it is to read a post by someone who has similarly defined levels of proficiency! Truly, this has made my day. I wish we could formalize it and call it the "Mick Scale" or something. Then, when someone on HTLAL says, "Oh, but I see you're officially C2 in German?" then I would kindly respond, "Yes, but I grade myself with the Mick Scale, where I'm a high intermediate. That's why I need to work hard."
Thanks Sprachjunge, I'm surprised that my first post in this log already received four votes. I had no idea that anybody else would define proficiency similar to the way I do, I just thought I needed to have some way of measuring progress. Now that I think about it, I like the idea of some kind of formalized scale but I'm not sure I want my name attached to it.
1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 10 of 228
28 January 2010 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Ag! Ek is verleë want ek dink my afrikaans uitspreek soos spaans klank. Dit is nie goed nie. Ja, ek het in my eerste boodskap geskrewe dat elke donderdag ek sal sweeds en fins gestudeer, maar ek moet meer Afrikaans hoor. Gister oggend het ek 'n biologie toets aflê en dit was 'n bietjie moeilik.

Ek sal nou my fiets ry en dan gaan ek sweeds studeer.
Mick

EDIT: I found the right word to use for taking a test,"aflê". This was a little confusing for me because Americans will say "I took a test" or an exam but I think the Canadians and British are more likely to say something like "I sat for the test" or maybe "I wrote the test" and so I wasn't sure what word I needed.

I knew I forgot something else, namely that most people who might read this probably don't know Afrikaans so I will provide a translation of the above paragraph.

I am embarrassed because I think my Afrikaans pronunciation sounds like Spanish. That is not good. Yes, I did write in my first message that I would study Swedish and Finnish every Thursday, but I have to hear more Afrikaans. Yesterday morning (which would have been Wednesday)I sat for a biology test and it was a little difficult. I will ride my bike now then I'm going to study Swedish.

2nd EDIT: Syntax very kindly made some correections to the Afrikaans portion of this post (see message 116 on page 15 to know what they were). I've only changed one word here. The original post had "Gistermôre", which is not a word, so the final Afrikaans sentence now begins with "Gister oggend" instead.

Edited by mick33 on 17 December 2010 at 8:51pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 11 of 228
30 January 2010 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
Ek het vanmôre my biologie toets ontvang (Ek hoop dit is korrek) en ongelukkig die uitslae is sleg,78%. Ek het gisteraand oor 'n nuwe woord geskrewe, maar een nuwe woord is nie genoeg nie. Ek het inderdaad meer woordeskat geleer en julle kan nou my nuutste woordelys lees.

uitslae - results
snoeimes - pruning-knife
snoeiskêr - pruning-shears
voer - The context in which I encountered this word was Jesaja 2:4 which reads in part "en hulle sal nie meer leer om oorlog te voer nie." which I will attempt to translate as "and they will no more learn to make war" and the most relevant phrase here is "om oorlog te voer" or to make war. But I should add that in other contexts "voer" has different meanings.
heengaan - death, demise, exit, go away, depart.
nuutste - newest.

You might have noticed that this post and the preceding one were partly in Afrikaans and there are two reasons for this: 1. English is my first language and I do not need any practice writing it. 2. More importantly, since I entitled my log "Multilingualism is Bliss!" I must therefore prove it by writing at least a little bit in the languages I am learning, besides I need the practice. I won't always provide a translation in English because translations are timeconsuming and not doing so may convince others to learn one or more of the languages.

Now I'm going to study Spanish
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 04 February 2010 at 1:39am

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 12 of 228
03 February 2010 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
Last weekend I discovered some strange gaps in my knowledge of Swedish; I know words like "sjukhus","beromda", and "staty" but couldn't remember "ligga", "bli", "God morgon" or what the phrase "Hur står det till?" meant. So I spent some time reviewing the last four things and now I will not forget that:

ligga - to lie, or to stand, or to dwell. Can be used where English would use "to be", more specifically "ligga" can refer to the location of something. .
Example sentence: Skolan ligger vid en liten sjö. (The school lies by a little lake. Which is actually the truth, the school I'm attending is close to a small lake.

bli - another word that can correspond to the English verb "to be" though this word suggests change.
Example sentence: Bli inte ledsen. (Don't be sad) At least I hope that's correct.

God morgon is "good morning"

Hur står det till - Literally means "How stands it to?" and is similar to "How are you?"

It's funny I never forgot that in Finnish "Hyvää huomenta" is "Good morning" and "Kuinka voit?" or "Mitä kuuluu?" correspond to "How are you?".

I want to keep studying but I really should get some sleep now.

Hyvää yötä
god natt
Mick

EDIT: I had to make a slight change in my explanation of the verb "ligga"

Edited by mick33 on 17 May 2010 at 9:37pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 13 of 228
04 February 2010 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
This afternoon I've been listening to Afrikaans (both spoken and sung) so that I can get better acquainted with how the language sounds, and this is helping me stop worrying about whether my Afrikaans pronunciation sounds like Spanish. I've never worried about Afrikaans phonics interfering with Spanish, Finnish or Swedish pronunciation even though I've been learning Afrikaans for a longer amount of time. Maybe this is because I am slightly more comfortable with the sounds of Spanish.

Right now, I'm reviewing what I already learned about the subjunctive mood in Spanish. Later on tonight I will search for, and hopefully find something interesting to read in Spanish just to test my reading comprehension.

Hasta luego
Mick

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 14 of 228
04 February 2010 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
Right now, I'm reviewing what I already learned about the subjunctive mood in Spanish. Later on tonight I will search for, and hopefully find something interesting to read in Spanish just to test my reading comprehension.

Hasta luego
Mick
Igår studerade jag spanska konjunctiven, men så jag också studerade dansk i stället för läsande spanska. Jag vet inte varför jag studerade danska språk, kanske min hjärna avvisade spanska också kanske var jag nära att förgås av nyfikenhet på dansk. Det betyder just ingenting, jag hade skul och jag lärd lite grann dansk.

I morgon lyssnade jag på finska music och nu lyssna jag på svenska musik.

I think I should translate the above because I have a feeling my Swedish contains some mistakes, so what I meant to write is: Last night I studied the Spanish subjunctive mood, but then I studied Danish instead of reading Spanish. I don't why I studied Danish, maybe my brain rejected Spanish or maybe I was suddenly curious about Danish. It doesn't matter, I had fun and learned a little Danish.

This morning I listened to Finnish music and now I'm listening to Swedish music.

Vi ses snart
Mick

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 15 of 228
06 February 2010 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
This week my language learning has taken a weird turn; my brain rejected Spanish on Wednesday night in favor of Danish and Friday I studied a little bit of Spanish and Afrikaans in the afternoon. Then I decided to listen to Saami music, even though I'm not going to learn any of the Saami languages now.

I know why I mentally rejected Spanish, I'm becoming a little self-conscious. Since I could speak Spanish without even leaving the city I live in, maybe I'm nervous about making sure I pronounce Spanish well and that I correctly use the words I know. I'll just relax and listen to more Spanish. I don't watch Spanish TV very often, though perhaps I should, but every time I watch Univision they're showing soap operas. I don't like soap operas in English, but maybe I can find other shows to watch.

Buenas Noches
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 12 March 2010 at 9:20pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 16 of 228
09 February 2010 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
It's almost time for me to go to bed so this will be another short post. Last month while I was sick and falling behind in my studies I somehow forgot that I acquired a few more language learning courses: Linguaphone Finnish, Hyvin Menee! 1 and 2. I haven't started using them yet for two reasons; I'm still working through Teach yourself Finnsh and the Hyvin Menee! books are entirely in Finnish.

It's later than I thought. I'd better get to bed now, and I will post a longer message in the morning

Nuku hyvin
Mick

EDIT 26 March 2010: I no longer have Hyvin Menee! 1 or 2 so I cannot use them now whether I want to or not. Maybe in a few months I will find another copy.

Edited by mick33 on 27 February 2010 at 1:12am

This discussion contains 228 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version