Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
426 messages over 54 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 53 54 Next >>
zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5048 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 1 of 426
28 December 2011 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
So, I have been studying Georgian for probably a total of one month now (I started a
year ago, but I kind of neglected it for the past few months). I was already very
interested in this language, but when I saw TixhiiDon's Georgian log (http://how-to-
learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18877&PN=0& TPN=1) I got even more
motivated. I want to be able to read Georgian literature, too! I have another reason
for my new burst of motivation though. My mother recently told me that her grandmother
lived in Georgia, and that she wants to visit the town she resided in (not that we know
what it's called yet!) So my goal is to reach some kind of decent proficiency before we
go there. I'm not sure when that will be, maybe a year, maybe two...who knows? I will
also be working on Russian since I am learning it at my university anyway, and we will
also be going to Russia.

As far as resources, I have already gone through all the dialogues in Dodona Kiziria's
book Beginners' Georgian. Actually, I've read the entire book, but I did not review
very much and have forgotten a great deal of it. So I think I will sort of just start
over. I also have the Aronson grammar book, Byki and shows to watch on TV. I have also
found stalking around on random Georgian people's Facebook pages to be useful,
especially for learning colloquial language. Although, it seems that Georgian people do
not like to write in their own script, for some reason, so it's sort of hard to look
things up. Anyway, hopefully I will get good enough that I will be able to read books
in Georgian, because at the moment I think I have most of the resources available for
the language.

Anyway, I will basically use this log to keep track of my progress, and hopefully get
some feedback and practice like TixhiiDon did. At the moment, I am at a very basic
level, even though I went through the entire Beginner's Georgian book. I can say Hello,
Goodbye, Thank you, Good night/morning/etc, and I know a few very basic verbs (love,
eat, have, etc.), although I don't know all the forms yet in the present tense. For
example, I know how to say "I love" but I'm not sure how to say "they love." And I
don't know how to form other tenses yet. I also know a lot of the suffixes, like -shi,
-tan, -twis (not quite sure what that one means, now that I think about it...),-dan, -
ze, -ts, and maybe some others I am forgetting. I also know some of the question words
off the top of my head: ra, ratom, sad, romeli, ramdeni, rodis. I know some words like
iq, aq (here and there). I know conjunctions tu and da. And I know diax/ki, ara. I know
that the -s ending is used for the genitive and accusative...I could probably go on,
but that's enough. So, we'll see how far I get before I go to Georgia. I hope I'll be
able to understand and converse comfortably. I am very motivated so I think I will do
well.

:)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 04 January 2014 at 10:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4920 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 426
28 December 2011 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
You should consider joining the Rarely Studied Languages TAC Team ɬ.

It'd be great to have a fellow Georgian learner in the group! And we'll be using some of the same study materials.

R.
==
1 person has voted this message useful

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5044 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 3 of 426
29 December 2011 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
Good to see another Georgian learner, if you need help of a native speaker at any point, I'll be happy to give it.

P.S. I believe, the reason why most of Georgians don't write in Georgian script on Facebook and online generally is that, before Georgian unicode for keyboard was developed or at least spread around online, people got used to typing in latin and didn't bother changing habit later. Actually many people probably don't even know how to install it, as Windows doesn't have it embedded originally.

წარმატებები!
Good luck!

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5254 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 4 of 426
29 December 2011 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
Just dropping in to say a quick გამარჯობა! I like your idea of stalking random
Georgian Facebook pages :) Might try that one out for myself.

By the way, "I love" (strictly speaking, "I love it"): მიყვარს
"They love" ("they love it"): უყვართ

And while I'm here,
You love it (singular or familiar): გიყვარს
He/she/it loves it: უყვარს
We love it: გვიყვარს
You (plural or formal) love it: გიყვართ

Phew - that was a good little workout for me too. But those type of verbs are pretty
advanced grammar-wise, so don't worry too much about them yet.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 29 December 2011 at 12:50pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 5 of 426
29 December 2011 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
Wish you all the best luck, zecchino! I've tried georgian on and off, I also have all of the most common materials but everytime I am in doubt about some grammar topic I get kind of stuck. Even so, I keep following TixhiiDon's log and will be glad to follow yours as well!

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5048 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 6 of 426
30 December 2011 at 5:21am | IP Logged 
hehenry: Thanks! I'll look into that.

Murdoc: Ah, yeah I thought it had something to do with the keyboards. Thank you, it
will be really helpful to have a native speaker around.

ThixhiiDon: Thank you! That's very helpful. I started to go through the first section
on verbs in the Aronson book. I'll work on it more today. And I'm glad to have given
you a workout. ;P

Expungnator: Don't give up! It's a very fascinating language. And thank you for
reading.
:)

Now for my update: Well, today I was kind of up and about so I just listened to the
dialogues and vocab from chapters one and two in the Kiziria book. Then when I got home
I did all of chapter three. I also practiced speaking a little by recording myself on
my phone. Although, I didn't try to say anything in any particular order. I just kind
of said a bunch of random things I have burnt into my brain from the aforementioned
book. For example, when I played it back I found that I said „პური რა ღირს? 50 თეთრი.
ძალიან ძვირია!“ Obviously that doesn't make much sense...So I will do it again but this
time I'll try to say something a little more realistic... I also plan to go over a
little Aronson. Other than that, I have been "working" on my other language for the
day, Hebrew. And by working I mean watching funny videos. Actually, I did practice
speaking a lot. I think I recorded myself five or six times, it's very helpful.

Well, anyway, till next time...I think the next day I am scheduled to study Georgian is
კვირა. So maybe I should say, till next year. ;)

EDIT: I just read part of lesson two in Aronson, up to the part about the conditional
(i.e. I didn't read that part yet). Wow, TixhiiDon, what you said about him wanting you
to be a native speaker by chapter 4 and president of Georgia by the end is right...
This is intense! But luckily it is very well explained and I actually understand
everything I've read so far. It's just a matter of remembering it all! Anyway, I feel
like I have a much better understanding of the verbs already. I understand the concept
of the affixes and how the 3rd person objects are marked (or should I say not marked,
in the case of the 1st conjugation verbs), and I understand the difference between the
future and present much better now. I'll try to gather up the strength to finish the
chapter soon. Wish me luck...;)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 30 December 2011 at 7:29am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 426
02 January 2012 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
How awesome<3
will this be solely your log for Georgian? ie are you planning to start a separate log for TAC 2012? :)
good luck with your studies!

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5048 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 8 of 426
03 January 2012 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Serpent: Yes, this log will only be about Georgian. I don't know if I will make another
one...

Well, yesterday I was supposed to study Georgian, but I was busy (i.e. I was at
Disneyland!). Well actually, I was near Disneyland waiting for my sister to be done.
Anyway, the day before yesterday I practiced writing a little bit (by hand). I took a
picture, but you can't read it or see it really, so I won't post it. I'll just type
what I wrote instead. I just randomly guessed on some of it so corrections will be
welcome!

გამარჯობა! ეს არის ჩემი წიგნი. მე ძალიან მიყვარს ეს წიგნი. მიყვარს ვწერ ჩემი ახალ წიგნში.
მე ძალიან მიყვარს ქათული ენა რადგან ეს სასიამოვნო ენაა. თქვენ იცით კითხულობთ ქართულ
ენას? მე ვიცი ვკითხულობ ქართულ ენას, მაგრამ ცუდად. მინდა ვსწავლობ ეს ენას რადგან ძალიან
მიყვარს საქართველო. მიყვარს ვუყურებ პროგრამას „ტვაილაიტ ზონ.“

Ok, I know I'm not exactly going to win a Pulitzer for this, but I don't know how to
say much yet. And by c'igni I was referring to the book I was writing in. I didn't know
how to say "diary."

Other than this, I just went through chapter 4 in Beginner's Georgian. Chapters 4 and 5
make me hungry! I had to go make a sad version of khachapuri after I read the one about
the "tonis p'uri." I also found myself talking (or rather thinking) in Georgian again.
This time I said "Tevzi ara vch'am," even though it's supposed to be "tevzs ara
vch'am." I have no idea why I said that... Also, on a random note, I had a dream that
Dodona Kiziria wrote to me thanking me for using her book or something, but then I
found out that it was some generic letter that she wrote to a bunch of people and just
filled my name in. I was very disappointed...

But anyway... until ხვალ. ;)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 03 January 2012 at 10:21pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 426 messages over 54 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version