Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
204 messages over 26 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 25 26 Next >>
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4920 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 73 of 204
12 April 2012 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
It is just me or does Luca seem genuinely uncomfortable (rolls eyes, grabs his chin, looks away) when Tim starts talking about how he can read and understand 80%-90% of Arabic and Russian newspapers after studying for just two years (along with learning 22 other languages)?

Truthfully, I hadn't noticed any eye-rolls. On another forum people had commented on how irritated Luca looked. I didn't get that, honestly. I thought he just looked tired.

R.
==
4 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5859 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 74 of 204
12 April 2012 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
not just you BUT who knows.. we need Paul Ekman right away xD
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5171 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 75 of 204
12 April 2012 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
Actually, they both seem bored when the other one is talking.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6739 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 76 of 204
12 April 2012 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
The few times I've been recorded in that kind of seating arrangement, with two speakers
sitting side by side facing the camera, it was very awkward. When the other person's
talking, you have no idea where to look. Our instinct is to keep our eyes on the person
who's speaking, but this wouldn't look right in that situation where the speaker is not
looking back at you, so what do you do? Do you stare straight ahead into the camera,
nodding and smiling the whole time to the viewers instead of the speaker right next to
you? Do you pretend there is no camera and fix your gaze on some point ahead, listening
and nodding transfixedly as if it were a recording with no speaker or audience present?
Or should you try to cycle between the three (looking at the speaker, staring directly
into the camera, and gazing somewhere else while listening transfixedly) while somehow
trying to make it look as natural as possible? This is exactly the awkward discomfort I
sensed from both of them, rather than any annoyance or boredom.

Edited by Lucky Charms on 12 April 2012 at 10:33pm

12 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6709 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 77 of 204
12 April 2012 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
He speaks Turkish with native speakers after two weeks???? Reads Arabic newspapers in four weeks?

Seriously, 23 languages in two years means a total of 4.5 weeks on each language.

I do not understand how anyone can take this seriously (especially someone like Luca who I admire). It's an obvious scam (although one that requires a lot of effort). He knows the amount of 23 languages that one could learn in 4 weeks time which is not a lot.    

Sometimes things are not always what they seem. If something doesn't seem to have the ring of truth to it, it probably isn't true. People are so willing to believe in the impossible: For example: FirstHumanMalePregnancy

Remember the Ziad thread?

Edited by translator2 on 13 April 2012 at 12:39am

6 persons have voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5254 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 78 of 204
13 April 2012 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
Translator2, you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time tracking down supposed language frauds,
inspecting their videos on YouTube for authenticity, and writing reams about them on here. Don't you think
your time would be better spent working on your own languages rather than seething with resentment against
either those whose claims are fraudulent or, as I suspect is the case with Tim, those whose skills are simply
greater than yours or mine?
11 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6709 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 79 of 204
13 April 2012 at 1:54am | IP Logged 

6 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5859 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 80 of 204
13 April 2012 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
http://youtu.be/RateeBJIF4k

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version