204 messages over 26 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 ... 25 26 Next >>
translator2
United States
Joined 6709 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 97 of 204
15 April 2012 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
Yes, we could start the first "Language Battle" like on the show The Voice. :-)

tmp011007 wrote:
Rob_Austria wrote:

As for your suggestion with regard to the youtube videos, I find your idea very interesting. I would love to talk to you about any of the topics you mentioned in either German, English, Italian, French or Spanish (these seem to be the languages we both "speak" as opposed to the languages we still learn). Let's make a start :-)

awesome!! it would be nice to see that (SUBSCRIBED!!!)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6260 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 98 of 204
15 April 2012 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
All of the YouTube videos are about learning languages. How about
some videos with two people discussing topics other than how they learn languages.
"Global Warming: Is it Real?", "How has the financial crisis affected your country?",
"Describe the last book you read/movie you saw and why you liked it".

I think the reason why people tune in to the typical Youtube polyglot's channel is that
they want to learn how to learn languages themselves. They might also go there for
instruction in any particular language. So I do not blame them at all for producing
this kind of content.

Still, one need not always conform to people's expectations. I for one enjoy a
civilized discussion of questions related to news/politics/history/philosophy and I'd
love to participate in such discussions in any of my languages - not for the purpose of
proving language knowledge on Youtube, but simply to have a nice discussion. I would
watch it for the same reason.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 15 April 2012 at 11:02pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4505 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 99 of 204
16 April 2012 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
I think Benny said it somewhere, but I must quote now. If being a C1 level student means being able to speak about any "routine" subject with no problem whatsoever, then, even being a native Brazilian, by this definition I'm not a C1 student in Portuguese, since I'm not able to discuss topics such as fashion, cars or global warming in a decent way...

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 16 April 2012 at 1:08am

3 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5859 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 100 of 204
16 April 2012 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
by this definition I'm not a C1 student in Portuguese, since I'm not able to discuss topics such as fashion, cars or global warming in a decent way...

fair enough. I am not able to hold a decent conversation on those topics either.. on the other hand, I wouldn't say I'm a B1, the way benny does, just because I'm able to babble some words in mandarin ("as he seems to have mostly spoken with teachers, and listened to material aimed at learners, he may not really understand how limited his Chinese is")
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4920 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 101 of 204
16 April 2012 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
I think Benny said it somewhere, but I must quote now. If being a C1 level student means being able to speak about any "routine" subject with no problem whatsoever, then, even being a native Brazilian, by this definition I'm not a C1 student in Portuguese, since I'm not able to discuss topics such as fashion, cars or global warming in a decent way...

Sorry, that's such a nonsense argument.

Although you may not be able to discuss subjects such as fashion, cars or global warming, surely you recognize when they're the topic at hand and can at least get the gist of what is being said. C1 (or any other level) isn't just about speaking. It's foolish to think otherwise.

R.
==
6 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4505 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 102 of 204
16 April 2012 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
Although you may not be able to discuss subjects such as fashion, cars or global warming, surely you recognize when they're the topic at hand and can at least get the gist of what is being said. C1 (or any other level) isn't just about speaking. It's foolish to think otherwise.

It is not non-sense at all.
I can recognize and get the gist of so many things now with my intermediate Russian, even with my poor Dutch.
For example, 1 year ago while I was in Moscow, with an A2/B1 level in Russian I was able to talk about football for 30 minutes with a friend of my wife's. During the same trip, I've had a hard time trying to tell her uncle about Brazil's export products in a 3 minutes "conversation".

I'm sure Tim is able to get the gist of things in much more languages than I am, but it doesn't mean that he can discuss about it in a decent way, the same way I can't discuss about fashion, cars and global warming in a decent way. On the other hand, my (Russian) wife will speak about fashion in Portuguese in a MUCH better and sofisticated way than me.

Looking at it from another angle, I'm an Engineering student here in Brazil, and I'm able to discuss about it in at least in 4 languages (in different levels, of course). However, is this really a routine subject? More than fashion or cars? I really don't believe so.

My point is, you can't measure Tim's abilities in his languages by considering 1, 2 or 3 subjects, even if they're considered "routine". Maybe he'll be much more able to speak about language learning, computer games or rock bands than about global warming or fashion. The same to all of us. We all have different interests, and of course we'll be able to express ourselves better about something we like.

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 16 April 2012 at 2:26am

1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4920 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 103 of 204
16 April 2012 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:

It is not non-sense at all.

My post was in response to you not being a C1 level in your native/active language. Sorry, but I maintain that that is a nonsense argument. Benny should never have made the original argument, much less anybody else thinking it's sound advice.

Again, sorry, but no. Just no.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 16 April 2012 at 2:33am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4747 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 104 of 204
16 April 2012 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
Hrhenry is right. fabriciocarraro, just because you don't have your facts right about
global warming, fashion or any of the other things you mentioned doesn't mean that you
couldn't talk about them.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version