9 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 146 of 204
14 August 2012 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Tim's French sounds pretty good!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5124 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 147 of 204
14 August 2012 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
But he has not said that he speaks 23 languages, has he? I listened to a video he did with Luca, and I
seem to recall that he said he spoke/was fluent in 4 or 5 and as for the rest he was still in some stage of
the learning process. Media want the high figures and put the polyglots on a pedestal then people tear
them down again. Unavoidable, perhaps, but must the tearing down be done by us? I thought we were
more about supporting eachother. We are better than this.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Anonymouser
Antarctica
Joined 4713 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes

Message 148 of 204
14 August 2012 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
bluecollar wrote:
The only language I am sure Tim can speak is English.He knows a few sentences of the other 22 languages.I like his enthusiasm for languages but the truth is still the truth.

Do you actually think his videos are staged? What makes you think so? And is there any way it could be proven to you that Tim actually speaks some of that languages without him meeting you eye to eye? Your post could be copypasted in every other thread about "Youtube polyglots" or internet polyglots generally.

I once again managed to click on "Useful" insted on "quoute". I actually don't find your comment useful, though I agree it is heatlhy to be skeptical. For reminding me that I thank you.
1 person has voted this message useful

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6042 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 149 of 204
14 August 2012 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
...Media want the high figures and put the polyglots on a pedestal then people tear them down again. Unavoidable, perhaps, but must the tearing down be done by us? I thought we were more about supporting eachother. We are better than this.

I couldn't agree more! After multiple, rigorous debates, we've made it quite clear that we cannot all agree on what fluent means or even what it means to speak a language. What that says to me is that we are unable to effectively identify who is and who isn't a real polyglot.

What I think we are VERY good at is encouraging one another and sharing tips and resources. Let's stick to what we're good at.

fabriciocarraro wrote:
Guys, don't feed the trolls =)

I really think this is a great policy to follow here and I applaud Fabricio for making the suggestion.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 150 of 204
14 August 2012 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Guys, if someone posts blatant nonsense, hit the report and not the reply button. Better
to do that and laugh than be sad/outraged.
3 persons have voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5757 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 151 of 204
14 August 2012 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Guys, if someone posts blatant nonsense, hit the report and not the reply button. Better to do that and laugh than be sad/outraged

Yes, please report and don't respond if you see a problem. It helps to keep a thread clean and useful, because otherwise a lot of messages written in response might need to be deleted also, just to keep the discussion clear. Thanks for your help!

languagenerd09
Triglot
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 4890 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai

Message 152 of 204
22 October 2012 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
I'm still amazed by his talent and he obviously has a keen passion for learning languages
and at his age I could speak Spanish, conversational basic French and knew one or two
words in Russian and that was it, so I take my hat off to him and admittedly hold up my
hands and say that he is very very good and to be fluent in 4 or 5 languages at that age
is very commendable ...

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version