russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4505 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 113 of 204
16 April 2012 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
Pisces wrote:
Well, if a person appears in the New York Times, on the BBC, and on the Today show, it's perfectly acceptable to examine or criticize the claims they make or are made for them (for which they are partly responsible, even though journalists are often silly).

I'm sure you could talk about fashion, cars and global warming in your native language, even though you say you couldn't. I don't know much about football, for example, but if I had to, I could talk about it. For example, I could wonder aloud about why other people are interested in it but I'm not, when I've had to play football at school a long time ago, how it's called soccer in the US, where people don't play it that much, what a football looks like, how this German guy I met a few years ago wanted to know where he could watch the World Cup in Helsinki, etc.

This isn't what people mean when they say 'talking about football' but it's still talking about football.

On the other hand, don't you agree that I might (and usually will) be able to talk in a better way, even with a more sofisticated vocabulary, about something I talk about more frequently (i.e. the thing is among my interests)?
1 person has voted this message useful

Pisces
Bilingual Pentaglot
Finland
Joined 4412 days ago

143 posts - 284 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish*, French, SwedishC1, Esperanto
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 114 of 204
16 April 2012 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Yes, your point is certainly valid.
1 person has voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 115 of 204
17 April 2012 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
If you want to get into specifics, Moses/Laoshu, Steve Kaufmann, Luca, Richard Simcott and
the many others are not
saying that they learned 23 languages in two years time.

If you notice, the people I take issue with (Cesar, Ziad, etc.) all have this in common and I have either praised or said
nothing about any of
the others.

Moses/Laoshu may not be making the claims you mentioned, but do you really think he belongs in the company you
mentioned?
Talent wise, I'd put him with the other group.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5885 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 116 of 204
18 April 2012 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
There is a lot gong on here on this thread and I'd like to just add my two cents...

First of all, from my own personal point of view...I don't make videos about global warming or other such
topics in any language because I am not an expert on the field and there are enough wannabe know-it-alls
out there on the Internet, professing some kind of wisdom. Sadly their words only serve to highlight their
ignorance in their chosen field. I do not wish to add to that confusion.

I prefer stick to what I know best in my public videos and that is languages and language learning. I can at
least claim some knowledge of the subject as I have had some degree of success in my studies of foreign
languages and I use them in practical ways every day (for life and work). That is not to say that I can't enjoy
learning about and conversing in lay terms on a number of subjects in a variety of languages in my own free
time. Personally I prefer to hear from people who know more than me about any given subject as I stand to
learn something instead of being exposed to "blah blah blah".

At university I was forced to talk about things I knew little about to display my knowledge of the language for
exams and I found it tedious then too. Though I do take on board the point that it is nice to see if someone
has the ability to tackle these topics, it is simply not my aim to prove anything now I have completed my
university studies. I think I did my bit then. That said, chances are I will have to go through the same
process now with my Turkish studies and exams. If I do, then I may end up making something on a different
topics to demonstrate the new level I reach in that language as part of my Turkish CEFR levels series.

In terms of YouTube polyglots, well they are as varied as people claiming to speak different language are in
real life. I have seen some who are extremely proficient in a number of languages and other less so. Both
types have something to offer as we don't all have to reach C level fluency in all of our languages. It is simply
not necessary to get a feel for a language, use it for communication. It is a very big time investment and for
those who want exposure to multiple languages, why not take a lot of them to A1 level if that's your thing?

Obviously the thing here on HLAL is keeping it real. I understand that some serious language learners who
try to keep their claims in check find it frustrating to see others playing up their abilities. Whilst I couldn't
personally care a fig if X says he/she speaks X languages fluently because it doesn't directly impact on me, I
can see why others may not appreciate it. My own view on it all is that it is not a competition. Besides many
of these people are called to task on their claims in the end anyway.

Regarding Tim in particular, well I have been there myself with media. I have been misquoted and asked if I
would be happy to be quoted as "speaking x languages". To my mind, Tim had his hand forced a bit on the
US TV show when the presenter mentioned the number. I am not sure that at 16 I would have felt able to
make that correction on national TV. It then seemed to carry on and I can understand how that may have
happened.

The fact is that Tim himself has written down here how well he feels he speaks the languages and I see that
as his way of correcting some quotes out there (including ones he may have been asked to say for brevity on
news stories).

Tim's passion and enthusiasm for languages are infectious and I think he is an interesting, bright young man
on a big language learning adventure.

My goal with all of this (YouTube, my blog, Facebook page, Twitter account and writing on this forum) is to
encourage language learning and having a good news story with Tim in it is a big help to get more people
interested in the topic. It brings our passion to the fore and that cannot be a bad thing for the general public,
can it?
21 persons have voted this message useful

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4792 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 117 of 204
18 April 2012 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
Torbyrne wrote:
Whilst I couldn't
personally care a fig if X says he/she speaks X languages fluently because it doesn't directly impact on me, I
can see why others may not appreciate it. My own view on it all is that it is not a competition. Besides many
of these people are called to task on their claims in the end anyway.

Tim's passion and enthusiasm for languages are infectious and I think he is an interesting, bright young man
on a big language learning adventure.

My goal with all of this (YouTube, my blog, Facebook page, Twitter account and writing on this forum) is to
encourage language learning and having a good news story with Tim in it is a big help to get more people
interested in the topic. It brings our passion to the fore and that cannot be a bad thing for the general public,
can it?

I wholeheartedly agree with your words.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Midnight
Diglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4429 days ago

54 posts - 111 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English

Message 118 of 204
09 May 2012 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Tim's tenacity admirable. I've had my doubts, but he seems to be really proficient in many of his languages. I also like the idea he hasn't chosen only the "Pop Pack" (English,French,Spanish,Italian,German, Chinese, Japanese) and began studying some rarer languages.

On the other hand I think most of HTLALers are curious and doubtful, because media tends to exaggerate skill no matter if you're cocky or humble as monk and therefore an average joe who spends 10 years studying and perfecting his 3 languages can be thrown off by a newspapers' article : "16 yo old boy speaks XX languages and has learned it in just one year" " I mean I woke up and spoke Spanish, I immediately called Consuela and she was like: "!!!AY DIOS MIO!!!""

Of course there are some ppl who will break you down no matter what. I saw some comments sullying our Vlad's English which is native-like (after 6 ys in the USA), just because he's really good at polyglottery.

Anyway I wish Tim and other language learners good luck.
7 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 119 of 204
11 May 2012 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Tim's doing fairly well for a 16 year old, wouldn't you think???????
5 persons have voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4824 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 120 of 204
11 May 2012 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
I saw a New York Times article/video with him in it. Someone had posted the link earlier today. He seems personable and enthusiastic.

My only "criticism" is not of Tim himself but of the reporting saying that he "learned" a language. We all know that it's a lifelong endeavor. I would have preferred that it was "started learning". That better reflects that it is all a work in progress for Tim (and for the rest of us).

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version