204 messages over 26 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 ... 25 26 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 169 of 204
24 October 2012 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
Midnatt wrote:
Sorry guys. Didn't and don't want to make this thread hateful, but I
glanced at his blog and he claims to speak Mandarin now after 3 months of learning,
making it equal with his other languages that did take a lot more than that to become
"fluent" in. I think that just because not everybody is able to tackle Mandarin, anyone
at A2 to B1 can claim he's fluent. If what he does is becoming fluent in 3 months, then
eventually he'll end up claiming the same thing as Ziad or Laoshu and what's worse.
People will pay for his lesson, thinking of him as some kind of semi-god. I just don't
think it's fair to people like Amir which after 8 months of learning Mandarin per se
won't claim such outrageous things. But this really is not the place, I guess.

Who cares what his definition or Amir's is. Amir doesn't care so why should you?
Furthermore, he spent more than 3 months speaking Mandarin and being immersed in it, if
he can converse then he can converse.

Furthermore Moses has never claimed to be fluent in anything except maybe Mandarin
(which he has experience in).

Maybe you should get off your high horse and accept that people put effort into their
languages in different ways and that if their definition works for them (and it
certainly works for Benny who definitely has high levels of French, Spanish, Portuguese
and I believe his Italian is also good), and stop nitpicking.

Do yourself a favour and accept that learning so much quickly is a challenge and not a
promise. He CHALLENGES himself to improve quickly. If he doesn't succeed (and he
doesn't succeed often) then that's okay. Maybe you should also read his blog and the
explanation for the title.

If you are seriously bothered by such claims, then you are either a pedantic nitpick
with nothing better to do or jealous that someone can put in more effort than you and
succeed. Numbers are just numbers.

For the record: if you work very hard, you can achieve a lot in four months. I myself
have learned a LOT of Swedish in four months and even though I won't claim fluency I
definitely have quite a substantial ability to understand, read and communicate. And I
simply did it by applying myself.

EDIT: There have been Danish football players that emigrated to the Netherlands and
spoke practically flawless Dutch within half a year. If you want, I can show you the
videos of the player speaking Dutch in an interview after 9, 12, 15 months. In the last
interview I saw he is almost indistuinguishable from a Dutchman. Is he supremely
intelligent? Probably not. But he is motivated as hell to succeed, and he will stop at
nothing to achieve it. So he learned Dutch in record tempo and integrated. That's a
quality to admire!

Edited by tarvos on 24 October 2012 at 3:31pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5171 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 170 of 204
24 October 2012 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Midnatt (and Tim) wrote:
"I've been translating mentally everything you've said so far in Persian and German."

Actually this may be one of the reasons that he has come so far in a short time: trying to translating a conversation in an 'easy' language into one or more of your target languages is a useful technique, even if you have to skip a passage here and there because you don't know a word or stumbles over some construction. It forces you to think in fast real time and not in slow exercise time, and then you can return to your studies afterwards. And Tim uses this technique even while speaking to a reporter instead of just sticking with the language of the conversation.

Actually... I'd be really interested in hearing from Tim on this matter. There is no doubt that this is a great exercise... but doing it while you are being interviewed on TV? I was very skeptical when I heard him say that. Not to mention that being interviewed by Carolyn is enough to make you lose your concentration ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 171 of 204
24 October 2012 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't lose concentration over that, she is way too plastic for me, hahaha...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5171 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 172 of 204
24 October 2012 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
I wouldn't lose concentration over that, she is way too plastic for me, hahaha...

She is very warm and friendly in person. But fair enough ;)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 173 of 204
24 October 2012 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
I'm sure she is, it's just totally not my thing.
1 person has voted this message useful

Midnatt
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4218 days ago

10 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Slovak, Czech*, English

Message 174 of 204
24 October 2012 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Midnatt wrote:
Sorry guys. Didn't and don't want to make this thread hateful, but I
glanced at his blog and he claims to speak Mandarin now after 3 months of learning,
making it equal with his other languages that did take a lot more than that to become
"fluent" in. I think that just because not everybody is able to tackle Mandarin, anyone
at A2 to B1 can claim he's fluent. If what he does is becoming fluent in 3 months, then
eventually he'll end up claiming the same thing as Ziad or Laoshu and what's worse.
People will pay for his lesson, thinking of him as some kind of semi-god. I just don't
think it's fair to people like Amir which after 8 months of learning Mandarin per se
won't claim such outrageous things. But this really is not the place, I guess.

Who cares what his definition or Amir's is. Amir doesn't care so why should you?
Furthermore, he spent more than 3 months speaking Mandarin and being immersed in it, if
he can converse then he can converse.

Furthermore Moses has never claimed to be fluent in anything except maybe Mandarin
(which he has experience in).

Maybe you should get off your high horse and accept that people put effort into their
languages in different ways and that if their definition works for them (and it
certainly works for Benny who definitely has high levels of French, Spanish, Portuguese
and I believe his Italian is also good), and stop nitpicking.

Do yourself a favour and accept that learning so much quickly is a challenge and not a
promise. He CHALLENGES himself to improve quickly. If he doesn't succeed (and he
doesn't succeed often) then that's okay. Maybe you should also read his blog and the
explanation for the title.

If you are seriously bothered by such claims, then you are either a pedantic nitpick
with nothing better to do or jealous that someone can put in more effort than you and
succeed. Numbers are just numbers.

For the record: if you work very hard, you can achieve a lot in four months. I myself
have learned a LOT of Swedish in four months and even though I won't claim fluency I
definitely have quite a substantial ability to understand, read and communicate. And I
simply did it by applying myself.

EDIT: There have been Danish football players that emigrated to the Netherlands and
spoke practically flawless Dutch within half a year. If you want, I can show you the
videos of the player speaking Dutch in an interview after 9, 12, 15 months. In the last
interview I saw he is almost indistuinguishable from a Dutchman. Is he supremely
intelligent? Probably not. But he is motivated as hell to succeed, and he will stop at
nothing to achieve it. So he learned Dutch in record tempo and integrated. That's a
quality to admire!

Well for me an Irishman who doesn't drink is already proof enough he's a phony :)
Nah. Obviously I'm only joking, but I just don't like it. I mean. Do what you wanna do. If you're skilled , then you can be either modest or a showoff, but Benny is not fluent in Mandarin by any measures. Also you learning Swedish from the viewpoint of a Dutchman is completely incomparable to this. I've learned a lot of Swedish in a month and I feel like the main reason why I was so successful so far would be me being fluent in English and having a good command of German. But can I compare it to someone that takes and example here and there and says Hungarian, Mandarin, Czech are easy languages? Like the noun declension? Of course there is pattern, but just showing that on his blog doesn't make him able to remember what gender and what paradigm either word is.

For some people fluency is to know excessive quantities of vocabulary, the grammar as whole and be able to read Shakespeare-like literature. For some people fluency means to be able to communicate at ease without looking for the right word too long. But even if Benny was superhuman, it would take him 6-7 months to reach basic fluency. So what can I say. Some people are just gullible.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 175 of 204
24 October 2012 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Hungarian, Mandarin and Czech are easy languages. I don't think Russian is hard either.
I don't think Breton, the next language I am going to learn, is hard. I don't think any
language is hard. My Swedish teacher asked me about that a few days ago and asked "do
you think Russian is hard" and my answer was "no, I don't. And it's not the right
attitude to have, if you think everything is torture you will learn absolutely
nothing."

Do I speak fluent Russian? Probably, according to your definitions, no. But do I have
contact in Russian? Can I do things with it? For sure I can. The Russians I talk to are
very happy with my Russian and very happy to converse. Russian shop owners have offered
me coffee and talked to me at length and even tried to show me off to their customers.

If you don't consider it fluent, be my guest, but he's doing what he can, and that's
more than you do. If you then have the guts to challenge someone pushing himself to the
limit (he could just as easy be lazy as hell) then you seriously need a check. "But he
doesn't speak with the perfect intonation and bla bla bla" - no, but he's doing a hell
of a lot better than you are by applying himself and setting tight deadlines. Even if
he is not half as good as someone who learned double his level in 3, 6 months half of
amazing is still pretty damn good. Appreciate what you have. To be terribly critical of
someone who is actually pushing himself to achieve things, even if he falls short a
lot, is just being a horrible human being. If you're going to criticise language
learners, criticise the lazy slacker who isn't making an effort to improve and lives in
his English bubble. Don't criticise the people trying to change that status quo.

Quote:
Also you learning Swedish from the viewpoint of a Dutchman is completely
incomparable to this.

Yeah, the WRITTEN language. But Swedish prosody is VERY different from Dutch. And still
I would say that I am able to communicate in Swedish. Do I make mistakes in Swedish?
Have foreigners learned more than I have? For sure. But I'm still doing good and
positive that I am doing well with it.

And if you claim that it's not perfect Swedish, then I will perfectly well claim that
you can eff off.

And I will do this over and over again. In Breton, in Mandarin, in Hebrew, in
Icelandic, and in all the other languages I will attempt to succeed (and inevitably
fail) at.

Edited by tarvos on 24 October 2012 at 4:18pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Midnatt
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4218 days ago

10 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Slovak, Czech*, English

Message 176 of 204
24 October 2012 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
Okay. Be my guest at defending that person at all cost. But I'll take some context out of the post you've written now.

It really is bad to take the attitude of thinking those languages are impossible to learn. But he? He oversimplifies it. After reading his article pertaining to Mandarin, you'd think it's the easiest languages ever. And still. So many people fail at it, regardless of their attitude. I have been learning Swedish now and I know that the melody of the languages is very important, but the melody of Chinese is even worse. And some people just repeat after they have listened to the audio tracks and yet they can't pronounce it well. Or they pronounce the consonants and vowels well, but don't care about the tones and if the context is not super obvious, they fail at using the language. The characters? He pinpoints a few and make you thing it's easy to build words like (elementary school, high school, university) and it's true. Still you have to learn thousands of these and it's not quite easy, especially to write them down.

I would agree that Russian in some aspects is more difficult than Czech. Not the alphabet, more the nuances in pronunciation and stress, but Czech is not easy. And Hungarian. I don't know. Haven't looked deep into it, but don't think it's easy. I guess the Slovak polyglot Vladimir could tell us more.

Have a nice day

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version